Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Chevy Trax. This thing, when warm, runs amazing, but when cold, horrible. The colder the worse it runs. Backfiring, sputtering, stalling, etc. After driving about 6 blocks, it comes back to life. My wife tried to take our boy to school this morning and it stalled 6 times leaving the driveway and for the 1st time, it was -4 F out, it just died while driving down the road. She came back and grabbed my truck to take him to school. I've replaced the MAF, coil to spark plug boots and electrodes which I have to do every 4 months since buying this thing, all O2 sensors, etc. The codes only show misfiring and such which of course they will. I am at a total loss. Short of the catalytic convertor, I think I have replaced everything possible. It is undriveable in the cold but she needs to drive an hour one way to work each day. Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
2,444 Posts
It could be a lot of things, can you list the codes, maybe you're missing something that somebody on here would recognize. My first thought is your boost sensor which also houses the intake temperature sensor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
P0171
P0096
P1101
P015B
P0131

I have all new O2 sensors, new MAF, new valve cover including PVC line

·
Administrator
2,444 Posts
As I thought, P0096 I believe is your culprit, the other codes are symptoms, have you change the intake temperature sensor? My guest is that the bottom of your intercooler is full of water and maybe a bit of oil and it has contaminated you boost IAT sensor, some water may even make it up to the sensor and freeze on there. If you ask me it was a bad place to insert this sensor it should have been further up the intake like on the Cruze.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I thought, have you change the intake temperature sensor? My guest is that the bottom of your intercooler is full of water and maybe a bit of oil and it has contaminated you boost IAT sensor, some water may even make it up to the sensor and freeze on there. If you ask me it was a bad place to insert this sensor it should have been further up the intake like on the Cruze.
Really? Have not seen or heard of this... Intake temp sensor or coolant temp sensor? Do you just remove the intercooler and clean it out?
I did just find that the PCV hose was not snapped down fully. I also just replaced the purge valve as they're known to either be stuck open or just get sticky...

·
Administrator
2,444 Posts
Some guys drill a little hole at the bottom of the intercooler on driver's side and then plug it with a screw. I just take on long clear hose and fish it down and siphon it, it only happened to me once when it was very humid and cool out. This is the sensor in question.

Reactions: c502cid

·
Administrator
2,444 Posts
That sensor is hard to reach from the top. If you have access to a lift you'll be all set. Unless you are young with long arms.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know when my 2019 did that my mechanic changed everything under the sun,including the entire turbo system. And then when that was fixed it needed a new catalytic convertor

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem there is a recall on the Traxxas something about the turbocharger I had to have mine redone and now it runs great call your dealer and find out about it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts