Chevy Trax Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I do not trust dealer service further then I can throw them.
I learned that back in 1984, my first new car, s-10 blazer. Same dealership location, different owner. Same crappy service over the years. I brought the s-10 in because when I wiggled the volume knob on the radio, BOTH front and rear right speakers would cut out. Very repeatable. Simple right? First trip they changed one speaker. Next trip they changed the other, then finally the radio. Other headaches over the years too like you say, screws left out, etc. I like GM cars, but hate the local service. Over the years, if a warranty problem came up, I'd fix it myself if it was under $50. There is no limit to what they can screw up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
.... By the way I suggest you move down that little foam protector on the prop rod so it's at the level where it may chip the fender if it slips out of your hands.
Thanks for the tip! My daughter is very protective of her car. I don't want to be the one to give her the first scratch.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just an update. I stopped by the dealer on Saturday. Spoke to a service advisor. He immediately told me I was wrong. He would not let me get a word in edgewise. I was just wrong, period. He did get a printout from parts dept after the other SA suggested he do so. But he still didn't have the will or understanding to see there were two possible filter choices depending on the cap. He eventually got frustrated and danced around waving his arms that he could not deal with me anymore. Very frustrating for me. Other service advisor called me over. He also started to tell me I was wrong, but unlike the first, he stopped speaking when I asked him to and he listened to what I had to say. He looked at the printout from their parts catalog and I showed him a picture of my UFI cap. He agreed that on paper it looked like the wrong filter was issued. He was hoping that maybe the mechanic actually caught the error and just did not adjust the paperwork. I assured him the wrong filter was installed. He offered to send the roadside truck to the house and bring the car in. I don't trust that they understand the problem I knew that it would be a several day event. I said I just want the right filter so I could go home and be done with it. He went back to parts and got the correct PF2263 UFI style filter. He said "all the guys back there say this won't fit because of the spring on top. Please call me and let me know how it goes." It fit fine as expected and I let him know. He said he or the manager would call me on Monday. We'll see. I plan to complain further about the mistake, but more so about the arrogant service adviser. This service adviser's attitude was totally unacceptable. These guys are apparently trained to blindly defend the dealership.
I hate dealerships. Free oil change = free aggravation.
At this point I'd complain to upper corporate. There's even a TSB on the subject...
Date Reported
JULY 28, 2017
NHTSA Reference
TSB Reference
#17-NA-184
Description: This informational bulletin provides information for dealers and technicians about the 1.4L turbocharged engine use two different suppliers for the oil filter housing which results in two different filters being used.

·
Registered
11 Posts
At this point I'd complain to upper corporate. There's even a TSB on the subject...
Date Reported
JULY 28, 2017
NHTSA Reference
TSB Reference
#17-NA-184
Description: This informational bulletin provides information for dealers and technicians about the 1.4L turbocharged engine use two different suppliers for the oil filter housing which results in two different filters being used.
Awesome, thank you. I was trying to figure out how to best explain this to people that refuse to listen. A tsb will help. I got through to the 2nd service adviser by asking him to look at the parts catalog and tell me what filter I need. Then I showed him a picture of my UFI cap, then I showed him the service invoice listing the wrong filter.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't really expect any difference this filtering system sucks.
Many years ago there were centrifugal oil filters in use, and they are still today with some industrial and commercial applications.
Can you imagine how much money the big corporations make on selling filters that cost 10 cents to be made and are sold at 10$ a piece to the public?
We should thank those "paper" filters don't do any damage to the car...
)))

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I'm Kat. You're right! There are two types of oil filters, one of the filters has what's called a built in relief valve, which is the one i need for my 2016 LTZ. I'm due to change mine soon, are there any special tricks fitting this, does it just slot in the housing? Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi I'm Kat. You're right! There are two types of oil filters, one of the filters has what's called a built in relief valve, which is the one i need for my 2016 LTZ. I'm due to change mine soon, are there any special tricks fitting this, does it just slot in the housing? Cheers
No issues on my daughters Trax. Nothing in the way. Remove cap. Filter will come with it. Unsnap filter from the cap, change oring, snap new filter in the cap, replace. If you are careful and have a paper towel ready, you won't even spill a drop. The housing will be drained of oil when you open it, so no mess.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just noticed there was a general discussion going on about how engine oil is filtered, here is a straightforward explanation from the web:

“The outside of the filter is a metal can with a sealing gasket that allows it to be tightly held against the engine’s mating surface. The base plate of the can holds the gasket and is perforated with holes around the area just inside the gasket. A central hole is threaded to mate with the oil filter assembly on the engine block. Inside the can is the filter material, most frequently made from synthetic fiber. The engine’s oil pump moves the oil directly to the filter, where it enters from the holes in the perimeter of the base plate. The dirty oil is passed (pushed under pressure) through the filter media and back through the central hole, where it re-enters the engine.”

If you studied this in tech school, specialize in performance or blueprinting, or have a ton of experience, you probably know this - but it’s not common sense. People get worried about gimmicks, but changing your filter regularly can have a positive impact on engine life and component wear.

I’m with Traxy: I change my filter every 3K miles, and the oil/filter every 6K miles. The filter is black both times I change it, and the used oil looks fairly clear draining into the pan.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
A couple of years ago I had contacted Fram and the representative told me they were testing a new heppa design and that these filters should be available soon, still haven't seen them in stores or listed on there site. But I ordered a new filter from a Korean company. Instead of a paper medium to filter the oil it's kind of a heppa material. Description said that it was made specifically for synthetic. $6.15 USd. This is for the Hengst housing not the UFI. It seems a superior quality compared to ACDelco, WIX and Fram. It also comes with new "O" ring seal.

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?spm=a2g0s.9042647.6.2.3a4e4c4d6glA1i&orderId=8006716219089561&productId=32899120878

·
Registered
6 Posts
2018 LT AWD turbo GM site say Fram TG10246 is OK but has to be dexos1 gen2 oil and as soon as I return the dexos2 I will do my first change! Lol

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The Fram Tough Guard 10246 is an okay filter but is still a paper medium. I know it says on it that it is for Synthetic oil but I wouldn't leave in for more than 5000Kms.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts