Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2016, Chevrolet Trax 1.4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I received a letter earlier this year about a wastelink actuator in the turbo failing and stating there's a recall for it. On the letter it states that the recall replacement will only be allowed of the turbo fails and the check engine light comes on. Last week my turbo failed while driving with the code P0299 for turbo underboost. Today I took my car in for the appointment and the tech assisting me couldn't find anything on a recall for my vehicle even though I brought the letter from GM that states the recall. Can they deny fixing the recall if they can't find it in their system stating the recall and charge me for full repair?

· Administrator
2,826 Posts
Nope. You have the letter from GM.

· Registered
27 Posts
The wife's '15's died at about 60K two years back. Fix was $1800.00. I was told that because I used a synthetic blend instead of full synthetic oil at oil changes, that caused the failure.

· Administrator
2,826 Posts
The wife's '15's died at about 60K two years back. Fix was $1800.00. I was told that because I used a synthetic blend instead of full synthetic oil at oil changes, that caused the failure.
That would be bull crap, because the 2015 called for dexos 1 which is a synthetic blend. Maybe the cause was more the oil feed tube from engine to turbo which GM revised and was replacing whenever a vehicle came into a dealer. The new tube had 2 "O" rings, insulation on the tube and a more gradual bend at the turbo to prevent coking and eventual plugging. My 2016 came with the newer version and in 2017 got a letter from GM to start using full synthetic which is less prone to coking.

Reactions: Rally Trax

· Registered
1 Posts
Hey all! Glad I just found this forum. My check engine light just came on (chevy trax 2016). The diagnostic test came up with po299 code as well. I'd love a little more info on where I can get a letter from GM. I believe I probably received one a while back, but didn't give it much thought at the time. I'm stressin hard over that monster repair bill I'll have to pay! Please, any info would be useful.

· Administrator
2,826 Posts
Try first of all tightening the clamp at the throttle body. If code comes back look at the ones on the intercooler, a little harder to get at though.

· Registered
10 Posts
So I received a letter earlier this year about a wastelink actuator in the turbo failing and stating there's a recall for it. On the letter it states that the recall replacement will only be allowed of the turbo fails and the check engine light comes on. Last week my turbo failed while driving with the code P0299 for turbo underboost. Today I took my car in for the appointment and the tech assisting me couldn't find anything on a recall for my vehicle even though I brought the letter from GM that states the recall. Can they deny fixing the recall if they can't find it in their system stating the recall and charge me for full repair?
I literally just got my 2016 back from the dealer today. Threw code P0299 last Thursday. Took it in with my letter and they replaced the turbo it was 1077.00. I had the letter so I didn’t pay a dime. GM knows it’s an issue. I don’t see how they can deny coverage

· Registered
6 Posts
There is a policy on 2016 turbo replacement, I can check if you're still applicable by typing your VIN into GMVIS and I get a list of all policies, recalls, even a list of all warranty work you've done.
Hi there do you have a list for the 2017 tracks? As my turbo has failed and the dealer is trying to charge me $2,400 for it even though I've expressed to them there have been recalls on the 2016 and I would imagine that they must be aware of the possible problem of the 2017 but since I can't find anything regarding recall for any turbo repair they want to charge charge me $2,400. Any assistance and information would be greatly appreciated thank you.

· Registered
101 Posts
Hi there do you have a list for the 2017 tracks? As my turbo has failed and the dealer is trying to charge me $2,400 for it even though I've expressed to them there have been recalls on the 2016 and I would imagine that they must be aware of the possible problem of the 2017 but since I can't find anything regarding recall for any turbo repair they want to charge charge me $2,400. Any assistance and information would be greatly appreciated thank you.
2016 cruze and trax have policys for the turbos im pretty sure those are the only years. All I can do is check if your trax has policies by running the VIN.

· Registered
6 Posts
Hi there is it possible that you can upload or scan a copy of the letter with your personal information redacted because I'm having the same issue with my 2017 Chevy Trax and it's the turbo and it's in the shop right now and they're trying to charge 2400 for replacement and I read in someone's post that the turbo actually should only cost about $380 it's just for the part itself and maybe would be a bit more but no more than 1200 but they're asking 24 so if possible if you could redact your personal information and put a copy of that letter up that would be so super thank you so much

· Registered
6 Posts
There is a policy on 2016 turbo replacement, I can check if you're still applicable by typing your VIN into GMVIS and I get a list of all policies, recalls, even a list of all warranty work you've done.
Hi there I have a 2017 Chevy Trax and the turbo under boost code the po299 is what the technician is saying the problem is however there's a special bulletin from GM which states that they're not to replace the turbocharger because they have too many turbos being sent in where they have found there was absolutely nothing wrong with the charger. I asked the technician at the dealership if they had any information on the recall and he said no. But however there has been no spec changes from the 2016 to the 2017 Chevy Trax thank you so much

· Registered
101 Posts
Hi there I have a 2017 Chevy Trax and the turbo under boost code the po299 is what the technician is saying the problem is however there's a special bulletin from GM which states that they're not to replace the turbocharger because they have too many turbos being sent in where they have found there was absolutely nothing wrong with the charger. I asked the technician at the dealership if they had any information on the recall and he said no. But however there has been no spec changes from the 2016 to the 2017 Chevy Trax thank you so much
thats just the way it is, if the policy is only for 2016 vehicles then thats it. it wont be applicable to yours unless you go after GM head office.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts