Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a 2016 Trax LS. I want to replace the stock am/fm radio with something better. I asked a local stereo shop for a quote to upgrade and they were unable to source the required interface modules that have been proven to work (they spoke of a module called Maestro). Does anyone have any advice on how I can keep features like the steering wheel controls and OnStar. Crutchfield (US) lists me all the needed components but the Canadian version of crutchfield doesnt seem to carry the same components so I feel lost as to what parts I need.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Metra BX-GM8 retains almost everything, OnStar, chimes, Steering wheel control etc.
It's a fairly new piece. My wife just got an 2016 LS last week and I'm already looking at a Kenwood Android Auto deck to install, but do want to retain all factory features. Will change speakers after that, maybe a small sub down the road!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Metra BX-GM8 retains almost everything, OnStar, chimes, Steering wheel control etc.
It's a fairly new piece. My wife just got an 2016 LS last week and I'm already looking at a Kenwood Android Auto deck to install, but do want to retain all factory features. Will change speakers after that, maybe a small sub down the road!
Please keep us updated ! Possibly even a little DIY ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I too would like to replace that crappy radio. There is a thread here that went thru the steps with a Pioneer setup: http://www.traxforum.com/forum/409-electronics-audio-lighting/2994-can-we-replace-mylink-stereo.html
I don't know much about it, I don't need some ear bleeding system, just a good stereo with CD... and having that "smart" MyLink controls too.
Dealers are no help "you will void your warranty" ... I could care less about any stinking warranty.

I actually want to disable that hateful OnStar thing too while I am at it, I just need to find out where the antenna is.

·
Registered
745 Posts
What's funny is if it voids your warranty, it's happening on one of the things people worry the least about when it comes to potential issues. If it was something mechanic necessary to how the vehicle runs then i would be concerned about warranty, much easier to deal with a head unit than some part accessible from the undercarriage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ordered Metra BX-GM8, 95-3017B and 40-EU10 today. Deck is on backorder, should see next week (Kenwood DDX9903)
Looks like the only featured lost on the base radio will be the temperature display. Oddly enough, my wife likes and didn`t want to lose this feature. But with Android Auto she can just ask the radio the temperature, so she`s OK with it!
Will post when I get the dash apart.

·
Registered
44 Posts
on mine the temperature display gives wacky numbers. perhaps it is only reading the temp under the dash. It does Not read the outside temp, or the temp in the passenger area.
will you still have the door locking controls?
please keep us posted on how it works after install.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ordered Metra BX-GM8, 95-3017B and 40-EU10 today. Deck is on backorder, should see next week (Kenwood DDX9903)
Looks like the only featured lost on the base radio will be the temperature display. Oddly enough, my wife likes and didn`t want to lose this feature. But with Android Auto she can just ask the radio the temperature, so she`s OK with it!
Will post when I get the dash apart.
That is a gorgeous deck. Highly rated, even comes with a 13 band graphic EQ !

·
Registered
181 Posts
That Kenwood DDX9903 looks interesting, especially the flac support and HD-FM. Can you take some photos of the installation process?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bit of a hold-up happening...waiting for the arrival of the "factory look" back-up camera. Didn't want a licence plate camera.
Unfortunately sourced from Asia, might take a bit to get here. All other parts waiting patiently. Will be installing Focal Flax components in the doors and A pillars today. Will upload some pics later!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Focal Flax Component Install

Focal Tweeters a little bigger and deeper than stock. Won't fit in behind a pillar, using the Focal supplied tweeter cup works but leaves a slight notch.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Focal Component Tweeter Install

Putting tweeter into factory grill is the best fit. I don't mind how it looks, some night not like it. For a stealth install the tweeter would have to be smaller than the one in the Focal PS165F kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am most concerned about the radio and it's interface with the car systems. OnStar, I want to disable it

·
Registered
10 Posts
For radio interface I am going to use a Metra/Axxess BX-GM8. It retains steering wheel control, chimes, OnStar, factory Bluetooth if you prefer it, (I'm going to use Bluetooth via Android auto on Kenwood DDX9903S) and provides NAV outputs (parking brake, reverse, speed sense if you need them) Doesn't look more difficult than other interfaces I've used on previous Chevrolet vehicles.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts