Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have googled trax GVWR and curb weight and come up with these numbers for my 2016 trax LS 1.4 liter …… GVWR = 4387, curb = 3208. Now the difference in those 2 numbers supposedly = payload which is 1179.

Now, on the door panel it says passengers and cargo should never exceed 941 lbs. which is quite different from 1179. If they assume driver is not a passenger, then 4387 - 3208 - 239 lb driver = 941lbs (passengers and cargo).

Is my figuring correct? Is the driver considered a passenger? And, assuming an average driver weighs 239lbs is a bit strange, isn't it? Where am I going wrong here? I am loading for a trip and need to know how much weight I can carry besides myself and a full tank. Thanks in advance. JPSmidhudsonvalley

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
I have googled trax GVWR and curb weight and come up with these numbers for my 2016 trax LS 1.4 liter …… GVWR = 4387, curb = 3208. Now the difference in those 2 numbers supposedly = payload which is 1179.

Now, on the door panel it says passengers and cargo should never exceed 941 lbs. which is quite different from 1179. If they assume driver is not a passenger, then 4387 - 3208 - 239 lb driver = 941lbs (passengers and cargo).

Is my figuring correct? Is the driver considered a passenger? And, assuming an average driver weighs 239lbs is a bit strange, isn't it? Where am I going wrong here? I am loading for a trip and need to know how much weight I can carry besides myself and a full tank. Thanks in advance. JPSmidhudsonvalley
I believe the 941 is determined by the type of tires on the vehicle, this the number you should follow if you have factory tires. An other type of tires may bring you closer to the 1179

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, but I am still wondering when they say "passengers and cargo" should not exceed 941lbs, does that mean If I am the only person in the car (driver), I can load 941 lbs cargo, or am I as driver included in the 941? Thanks for your reply Traxy

·
Registered
221 Posts
What you will find on line means that there is an option that can hit those numbers.
The door sticker is specific to your vehicle as equipped from the factory. Always go by the door sticker since that will have taken into account all of the options installed on YOUR car.
Yes the driver is a passenger. Often times the curb weight does not include fuel since the factory did not install a full tank. I am not sure if the Trax curb weight is with or without fuel. 14 gallons of gas is about 88 lbs.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is your Trax AWD or front? I would imagine the AWD system adds at least 100 pounds.
Also payload and GVWR are calculated including a full tank, so no adjustment needed for gasoline.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts