Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

WardsAuto had a chance to sit in the new 2017 Chevy Trax and they found it to be both upscale and practical.

Following the Encore, the Chevy Trax first went on sale in early 2013 and the design has largely remained unchanged until now. It’s still sporting that familiar 1.4L DOHC turbocharged 4-cylinder engine that’s cranking out 138 horsepower and 148 lb.-ft of torque in the 2017 model. Paired with a Hydra-Matic 6T40 six-speed automatic transmission, the new Trax comes in standard front wheel drive configuration or optional all-wheel drive.

On the inside, the Trax is has been upgraded with a new dash. It may not have as much interior storage as the bin above the glovebox was replaced with leather trim and the storage above the dash was removed to accommodate center stack updates like a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system, but the changes does make it feel more upscale. Along with a dash update, the Trax is upholstered with a more durable material and it’s even embossed with a line design.

The Trax’s performance doesn’t disappoint either, it performs as expected since it’s in no way a vehicle to take to the track. Its engine has enough power and torque to for casual city and suburban drives, performing without a fuss. Maybe it can even handle that wallet wrenching trip to Ikea. With the rear and front passenger seats folded down, the Trax has enough cargo space to outpace both the Nissan Juke and the Mazda CX-3.

According to Betsy Flegg, Chevy’s senior manager-advertising and marketing, the new Traxs are flying off the shelves and “dealers are asking for three to five times the number of Trax that we can give them.”

·
Registered
772 Posts
I had a 1LT Trax then went into a Convenience Encore, which is the middle model like the Trax.

Looking at the new 17 Buick, I would rather have my 2016 the instrument panel and interior both look way better.

The new Trax styling is a big improvement over the old.

The dash in all the Trax models is the same exact dash, or instrument package, is the exact same IP that was in the lower LS model Camaro from 2010 to the 2012 that I once had.

Chevy used parts that they had on hand rather than go out and design new parts for an untested segment, now that the Trax and Encore are selling like crazy they are stepping up their game.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Haven't looked into the Spark as of lately but it's possible that over time it will pick up pace. Overseas they have a version of it called the Active Mini, a sportier version of the Spark we're currently used to, something that would resonate well with US buyers as its more of a crossover/cuv/suv than the Spark.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Anyone have an article about the Chevy Cruze thing, I thought they were doing well in sales. They just came out with the Hatch version?

·
Registered
772 Posts
I heard they had an over supply of Cruze, I just read GM has way too many new cars that are standing on holding lots, these cars are not sold, they have a big backlog of all models.

Sold cars are shipped to dealers as soon as possible, these are the cars you see standing on dealer lots, there might be a big sale coming with all those unsold cars and trucks sitting.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Interesting how tastes vary. I like the original front end better. It fits that butch/tonka look of the vehicle and it stands out from the Asians. The new dashboard loses plenty of storage and can no longer accept the awesome S160 10 inch aftermarket infotainment system. They've also killed the ability to order air conditioning with the base LS with manual transmission, which is why I picked the Trax. I'm sure the refresh will help sales but the original was engineered, this one was designed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Jobu, absolutely! To each their own I guess, as I am another of the few who loves the original front-end better...along with everything else! The interior, in my point of view, is unique to the Trax...even though it shares some similarities with the Sonic. It has plenty-and then some storage (which I make use of), and I really love the simplicity of the tap-screen (absence of buttons). While I'm sure many will fall head-over heels for the 2017 model, I guess I'll be stuck, living in the past...enamored with the 2015 and 2016 models for as long as the love-bug's bite can linger.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Jobu, absolutely! To each their own I guess, as I am another of the few who loves the original front-end better...along with everything else! The interior, in my point of view, is unique to the Trax...even though it shares some similarities with the Sonic. It has plenty-and then some storage (which I make use of), and I really love the simplicity of the tap-screen (absence of buttons). While I'm sure many will fall head-over heels for the 2017 model, I guess I'll be stuck, living in the past...enamored with the 2015 and 2016 models for as long as the love-bug's bite can linger.
On the plus side you might be avoiding a host of issues, that's the beauty of sticking with something that's tried and true, which goes for a lot of things in life, a certain degree of comfort level is what we tend to gravitate towards.

Odds are by time you're really ready to upgrade, the Trax we have then (or its successor) will have bigger differences going on.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think its a mistake to make the vehicle more generic. Kind of turning it into a poor man's Encore. I would have gone even more "Tonka truck" If I had designed it, bigger fender flares, maybe round HID headlights into the front of the fenders.

I installed an 8 inch touch screen and an 8 inch tablet in that center dash. You can't do that with the 2017. Losing the Cell phone charging compartment is also a negative as is the electro lumincent/digital motorcycle pod. Instead you get a padded dashboard. Can you convert the front light to HID with the new one ? Not sure. There is a huge choice of aftermarket accessories for the Trax that now may or may not follow the changes made by Chevrolet???

·
Registered
87 Posts
True James, it's just...to be completely honest, there is nothing I like or hate about the 2017 Trax. The model is not unattractive, I just feel that it does not matter to me as a purchase at all (I feel the same for both Toyota and Honda vehicles), I guess I just found what I was looking for in a car. At the moment I have that feeling of total " convenience and comfort" with my Trax...however, if Chevrolet were to bring the Chevrolet Adra to the states in a couple of years, I'd seriously consider a trade-in (I think I just cheated on my Trax).

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think its a mistake to make the vehicle more generic. Kind of turning it into a poor man's Encore. I would have gone even more "Tonka truck" If I had designed it, bigger fender flares, maybe round HID headlights into the front of the fenders.

I installed an 8 inch touch screen and an 8 inch tablet in that center dash. You can't do that with the 2017. Losing the Cell phone charging compartment is also a negative as is the electro lumincent/digital motorcycle pod. Instead you get a padded dashboard. Can you convert the front light to HID with the new one ? Not sure. There is a huge choice of aftermarket accessories for the Trax that now may or may not follow the changes made by Chevrolet???

Jobu, you should be working for Chevy, I love your ideas! I know what you mean about "make the vehicle more generic", now the Trax resembles the rest of the lineup in almost every way, which is not what Chevy should be going for. Now anyone can literally say the Trax IS a poor-man's Encore, due to the fact it's really trying so hard to BE the Encore. Before, each had it's own things going for it, you could drive either and literally know which was which..."the Trax was cheap but fun-looking, the Encore was expensive but sedan-like", it was two different beasts. Now all you have is cheaper or expensive generic all the way...nothing unique.

·
Registered
137 Posts
In the end its been a successful redesign here are the January sales of the Trax for the last 3 January
January
2015: 1839 units sold
2016: 3746 units sold
2017: 5257 units sold (combined 2016 and 2017 model)

December
2014: 739 units sold
2015: 5323 units sold
2016: 8007 units sold

·
Registered
137 Posts

Jobu, you should be working for Chevy, I love your ideas! I know what you mean about "make the vehicle more generic", now the Trax resembles the rest of the lineup in almost every way, which is not what Chevy should be going for. Now anyone can literally say the Trax IS a poor-man's Encore, due to the fact it's really trying so hard to BE the Encore. Before, each had it's own things going for it, you could drive either and literally know which was which..."the Trax was cheap but fun-looking, the Encore was expensive but sedan-like", it was two different beasts. Now all you have is cheaper or expensive generic all the way...nothing unique.

Look at the headlights of the original concept... Looks like the Designers had the vision... Probably shot down by corporate.

.JPG

·
Registered
137 Posts
That's the Trax concept from 2007. The Trax, Sonic, Spark were all designed in South Korea. No surprise they are the best small vehicles GM has ever produced. Oddly enough they used the front end of its brother the Groove micro-wagon concept instead. They actually pretty much mixed the two concepts together and came up with one vehicle.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts