Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening, I have a 2017 Trax LT and I love it. That being said I made the mistake of sliding a brush I use beside my drivers seat on the right side and it got tangled up in the gear. When I got it out it came with about a 3" spline looking thing with parts of the brush wrapped around it. I am trying to find out how to remove the seat. There are no bolts that I see. I see what looks like large rivets on the front and rear on both sides but nothing that I can see that unbolts the seat. I looked under the car and see a nut that might be in the place where it might bolt down in back. I'm thinking the spliney thing goes into the motor and over to the track to power it. The right side does not move when I hit the button, only the left side so I think I fried the gear on the right side. It worked at first but very slow and then just tried to move but the right side was frozen. Anybody have any experience with this? I'm sure the dealer would want BIG bucks to fix it. Thanks, Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,449 Posts
Pulled my seat out last year to get a rip fixed. Two bolts in the back of the seat rails. Take the plastic caps off and you will see them. Then move the seat back about half an inch and it will be free. You will need to be careful of the connector.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was yours a 2017? It's hard to see under there with bifocals. Mine looks diff. I do see 4 torx bolts going horizontally under the seat that might let the seat itself come off leaving the whole motorized track on the floor. Thanks, Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,449 Posts
Mine is a 16 but took the info out of the 16-19 service manual. You have to remove a black plastic cover door side to get at these 2 bolts.

One closer to the console has no cover.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you have to remove/release the seat belt sir? I see 1 45 or 47 torx bolt on each corner that is horizontal, not vertical like this that seems like it might let just the seat itself be lifted up exposing the whole sliding track system-motor and wires. If that was so it would be great as I could work on my broken motor spline. It's right above the UCAN helicopter pin on top of track. There is one on each corner. Does your book say what that bolt is for. I gotta get me a manual.
trax 47t bolt.jpg
Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do you take off the plastic side cover on the left side of the seat and what manual did you get and where from and how much. Thanks, Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,449 Posts
Honestly I can't remember about the seat belt but I believe I did so.

There are two slits in the cap visible from the back seat. Pull a bit where the blue arrow is and it will jump over the hook.

The book I got from ebay. 20$ Cnd.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I just purchased the manual. I was talking about the plastic side panel that has the toggle switches in it on the left side of the seat. Thanks, Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,449 Posts
You don't have to remove that to remove the seat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

View attachment 3384
Thanks, those 4 bolts I was talking about, I removed the front 2 and loosened the rear two and the seat just laid all the way back and exposed the whole track, motor and wire assembly so I could easily work on it. I removed the 2 screws on the pass side that hold the motor bracket down and put in the w
orm gear/spline after making sure I had both sides even and the power seat works perfectly. I went to the dealer and they told me you need special tools and the job would be $769 for the whole seat bracket and the do not sell any parts separately. I told them I have bought my last GM product
\

View attachment 3384
lft side front bolt.jpg
rt side front bolt and motor.jpg
seat lifted with front two bolts removed.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,449 Posts
Just go to a junk yard, they'll sell you a whole seat for $50

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just go to a junk yard, they'll sell you a whole seat for $50
I found a whole system on ebay for $145. Don't need it now. After removing the 2 front torx bolts (very easy) and loosening the two rear torx bolts the whole seat just layed back onto the rear seat with it still attached by the 2 rear bolts and exposed the whole track and motor system so I could easily put the worm gear back in and it worked perfectly. I can not believe that GM does not sell any parts for this system at all. Apple Chevy in Tinley Park Illinois said you cannot buy any parts, you have to buy the whole system for $769 and remove the seat from the system (the simple thing I just did that took about 10 minutes) and then replace the whole track/motor system. It cost me $0. The dealer told me you needed special tools, all I needed was 2 diff size torx sockets which I already had. I told him I loved my Trax. We were in the market for a new car and I told him it will not be a GM if that is how they screw and lie to people. Thanks for all your help, you have been great. When I asked them how to remove the seat he told me that they go onto youtube to see how to do it. There is next to nothing on youtube about the Trax. and nothing at all on seat removal. Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,449 Posts
I never go to the stealer for repairs, if I can't do it myself I'll take it to a local shop which doesn't need to look it up on YouTube and charge only for what they do at a much better hourly rate.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I hate to go to the STEALER too but all I wanted was some info on how to get the seat out. I don't even like to buy a car new and take the big hit. I'd rather find a 1 or 2 year old in great shape. Thanks again, you've been a great help. Where would we all be without all the forums around. Thanks, Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts