Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At low speeds I hear an intermittent clunk or knock sound in the rear interior. Ruled out loose storage area covers, something in the spare tire well, etc. Finally had someone drive it with me lying down in the rear with the seats down.
The clunk is either something inside the gate that has come loose or is the gate itself... loose latch?
Wondering if anyone has encountered this problem before and if there's a way to adjust the fit of the latch to make it tighter?
It's just one of those "slowly driving me insane" kind of noises.
Never hear it at higher speeds and I can't make it happen by rocking the vehicle by hand. But at/below 20mph on pretty old residential roads and parking lots, it's really knocking around.
(I do think previous owner may have backed into something at some point, though everything looks flawless on the exterior. There is some patching of the spare tire well inside like it cracked maybe. Doesn't look like factory work.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I already checked that. It's good and snug. Meanwhile I've still got the rattle off and on and haven't figured it out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Only other thing I can think of would be the door handle cup is shaking. The glue on my came off so it just "snaps" in place now. I doubt that would be the noise you here if it's loud. Maybe a bolt it loose or something fell in

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,257 Posts
The cabling for the license plate bulbs is secured by a cable tie, one on each side. If someone has changed a bulb maybe they unsecured the cabling since it is so short. Maybe all you are hearing is the unsecured cabling hitting and flopping around.

Reactions: Greenghost28

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Greenghost28 and @Traxy Some good possibilities to check out there, thanks.
Sometimes I'm not 100% sure it's in the lift gate, though I had someone ride back there for a bit and listen and that was their opinion. Need to switch places and go around the block a few times... while I deploy a stethoscope maybe!

·
Registered
59 Posts
@Greenghost28 and @Traxy Some good possibilities to check out there, thanks.
Sometimes I'm not 100% sure it's in the lift gate, though I had someone ride back there for a bit and listen and that was their opinion. Need to switch places and go around the block a few times... while I deploy a stethoscope maybe!
If you haven't, take a look at the exhaust and muffler. Could be a broken hanger or rubber bushing

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts