Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have access to the removal and replacement procedures for the drivers seat belt assembly and the SDM unit ... which resides as I'm told under the center console
Please and thank you !

·
Super Moderator
1,700 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Traxy !
Thank you very much , when I get up tomorrow I will take a look at this closer just wanted to make sure to thank you tonight !

·
Super Moderator
1,700 Posts
Thanks for the Thank You because I spent at least an hour digging this up from the .pdf's and pasting together then converting them to jpeg for the forum. I had nothing else to do though but help others since I still can.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2019 Chevrolet Trax LS
Bought the car with what I thought was minor front end damage.
With the word "minor" in the back of your mind, let me tell you the story.
It needed the steering wheel air bag and the drivers side knee air bag, easily replaced using the Youtube helpful video's and buying used airbags on Ebay.
Then I found that the drivers seat belt assembly was locked in place and needed repaired or replaced. I chose to replace the drivers seat belt assembly and the tensioner, I will describe the details later.
So while learning about this unusual condition of needing to repair/replace the seat belts I also found out that the SDM computer was failed and needed either repaired or replaced. I chose to have it repaired.
Thinking that I am on the road to finalization and finally entering the car from the passenger side, I decided to check the front passenger seat belt ... failed as well... had to replace it as well [ check all of your seat belts as if they are "locked up" before ordering or repairing ] .
Enough of the saga of learning about the new seat belt and air bag systems, I'll give a brief description of removal and replacement. I am doing this because a wonderful person on here [ Traxy ] took the time to help me out immensely and without hesitation and it is my pleasure to attempt to give back !
Please find the diagrams provided by { Traxy - thank you again ! } and understand that they give the general idea but hopefully I can give you a short cut or two.
.............................................................................................................................................................................................
ROLL UP/DOWN YOUR WINDOWS ... MOVE THE SEAT [ IF ELECTRIC ] ALL THE WAY UP AND FORWARD ... MAKE SURE THAT YOU DON'T NEED TO OPEN THE REAR DECK DOOR ...
TAKE OFF THE BATTERY CABLE ...
PLAN ON LEAVING IT OFF ... WRAP A RAG AROUND IT AND MAKE SURE THAT IT CANNOT COME IN CONTACT WITH THE BATTERY ACCIDENTLY !
.............................................................................................................................................................................................
Left front seat belt removal and replacement ... Lift the front lower entrance panel ... it interlocks with the main center panel ... do the same for the lower rear panel as it also interlocks with the center panel at the bottom as well ... there is no need to fully remove either the front or rear panels as they merely are a lock down addition.
Grab the center panels "legs" and lift and pull the lower center panel, as you will find out the retaining clips are very tight pull hard enough to remove and if that starts to bend grab it elsewhere and pull.
At the top there is a cover and using a small tool pop it out from the bottom or the top as there is a built in cable at one side. If my memory is correct it is a 7MM socket [ more than likely the screw will fall out and you will find it at the bottom of the center pillar area or you can use a magnetic socket - I used a piece of the paper towel placed over the end of the socket to force the bolt to remain in the socket ... also good for the replacement part ]
Take a small screw drive and place it in the top of the belt tensioner attachment and pop the two halves apart, taking a 10MM socket and removing the bolt holding the end of the seat belt to the tensioner.
Take a careful look at the electrical connector, it has different colored tabs to either pull or push to unlock/release the connector and allow its removal, pull gently but firmly, or you will be soldering a new end on.
Take a T50 torx and a long breaker bar or ratchet and remove the seat belt assembly.
Removal is the reversal of the previous info.
The tensioner is fairly simple , locate the phillips head screw and remove, pulling down while twisting slightly and back will remove the tensioner cover, carefully remove the electrical connector and then remove the T50 torx screw and remove the tensioner.
This info works for both sides.
Now for the SDM [ some call it SRS also ]
Adjust the seats all the way up and forward [ if possible ] starting with the dash remove the panels in the order as in the diagrams.
There are hidden screws in the rear of the console, carefully remove the covers from the bottom or the top, as these have attaching cables as well.
The front console side panels are removed from the seam starting at the bottom and pulling aggressively at the rear of the panel as the are 3 yes 3 clips holding this panel on and then slide the panel rearward, there may be a hidden 7MM bolt holding the front of the console as well.
Please note that the bolts used are all the same and are a 7MM .
The bolts holding the shifter in place are 10MM as are the SDM nuts.
Replacement is the reversal of the previous.
NOW ... you can replace the battery cable ... do not replace the battery cable during this process as it sets codes in the main computer [ my biggest DUH ! ] .... just needed to clear the codes after my "bald moment".... just a preventable action !
Although I chose to replace my seatbelt assemblies your old ones can possibly be repaired.
I went online and bought my seatbelt assemblies from an online dealer that has the best overall pricing [ when you include shipping ] ... they do not give advice ... or make suggestions ... so you need to know exactly what parts you will need. My hood was slightly damaged, in shipment, and they offered a reasonable amount of a refund to compensate me.
I also wanted to share the company that I used to repair my SDM - best price was on Ebay for these guys !
Safety Restore
40 Main Street
Westfield, MA 01085

Again thank to Traxy and this site and hopefully this brief instructional blurb will help someone else.

·
Super Moderator
1,700 Posts
Thanks for coming back to us with all this extra info. Did you get it certified yet?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am unaware of any certification needed by the State of Colorado .
I am very happy that anything that I could share would be helpful ;-)

·
Super Moderator
1,700 Posts
When I repaired my Trax, with no airbags deployed I still had to get a structural before I could bring it in for a safety inspection and registration.

Reactions: Dusterman

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a regional thing ... I would pass as all the parts except a few like the emblem are genuine GM ;-)
The dealer out of AZ prices his parts at a price that makes sense to use genuine GM ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts