Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Development of the next generation Chevy Trax is underway and a prototype was spied undergoing winter testing in Northern Europe. Details are vague as we had to use Google translate on a Spanish automotive news site, but Motor.es did provide us with a gallery of high quality images.

Said to be testing its production ready bodywork, we get a very close look at the vehicle’s front facia and a bit of its grille, which looks markedly different than the usual horizontal slats. On either side are headlamps consisting of three light units, though these were said to be temporary fixtures.

Moving to the rear, Chevy seems to have kept the vertically stacked taillights that are slightly staggered, but with a more circular shape compared to what we have in the outgoing model. Much of the vehicle is hidden under a layer of camouflage, so its hard to make out the test mule’s general bodyline though from what we can see, it looks very similar to its predecessor.

The new Trax’s exterior style elements should take after Chevy’s new design philosophy, meaning future models that are revealed before the Trax could give us hints as to what the production model could look like. While we don’t have a set release date yet, a good guess from the publication places it in the second half of next year.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This would be a good place to list what improvements we would like to see to the new Trax/Encore.

>Power liftgate, foot activated
>Adaptive Cruise
>full interior led lighting
>cooled front seats
>factory installed hitch for accessories (may be available now, not sure)
>new 1.4 LE2 standard or more power somehow

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
That picture must be flipped because the gas door is on the drivers side, doubt there will be much change, 2018 sales are up so why change a winning look...maybe a grill change. I noticed that the one pictured has a front facing camera so it will probably have frontal impact avoidance like the Encore or Maybe the LTZ already has it and I've never noticed.

·
Registered
181 Posts
That picture must be flipped because the gas door is on the drivers side, doubt there will be much change, 2018 sales are up so why change a winning look...maybe a grill change. I noticed that the one pictured has a front facing camera so it will probably have frontal impact avoidance like the Encore or Maybe the LTZ already has it and I've never noticed.
The windshield wipers aren't flipped. I prefer the gas door on the drivers side anyway. Is that a hood scoop or cowl in the hood? Not liking the tail lights....

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I think they are the same taillights, they just cut out round holes in the camouflage same with the hood, they just cut out 2 slots to make it look like a scoop to throw you off.

Looks like it has a gas door on both sides again to screw with you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
+1 for fuel door on driver side.

How about a REAL SS version with the 2.0 turbo and lowered an inch or 2?
Diesel version? With manual tranny should get close to 50 mpg highway?

I would totally rock a loaded diesel awd with proper 6 speed manual!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I read somewhere they tried to put the 2 liter Turbo but it just wouldn't fit without a lot of structure modification. GM knew from the beginning that the 1.4l was underpowered for the AWD. They just couldn't fit the 2.0l, why they didn't Turbo the 1.8l is a mystery.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Does GM have a Turbo 1.8l they can steal from another model? If they don't I assume GM just didn't want to put too much money into the Trax and just went with it. I'm not expecting all that many changes aside from the grille, heck even that could have been put there to throw us off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was wondering when the Trax would be updated. Back when we bought our LS three years ago, there was little competition. Now that most everybody has something in the segment, GM has to up its game. There are choices now.

The new Ford EcoSport looks like it is aimed squarely at the Trax. And it has a rated towing capacity of 1,400 lbs. for the 1.0 L engine and 2,000 lbs. for the 2.0 L engine, where the GM says not to tow at all with the Trax. We occasionally tow with our Trax anyway, but that is another discussion.

Not a fan of the EcoSport side hinged tailgate though.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts