Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am starting my build log for my 2019 White Redline. I am new to the Trax but I am not new to car audio.
I have been doing a lot of research on the Trax system and really can't find any thing substantial so I am starting my own path and hope it will benefit everyone here.

My Trax has the Sun & Sound package in it so it does have the Bose system. I will be keeping the factory head unit and just upgrading the speakers and subwoofer.

This process will be taking awhile as I do work and will be purchasing the parts as I can. I will be taking lots of pictures during the build. So please be patient.

To start off I will be doing the big 3 upgrade as the wire has been ordered already. I have gone ahead and changed out the factory battery for an XS power D4700 AGM battery. This battery is a direct replacement.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,456 Posts
Any battery is an improvement over OEM lawn tractor battery lol. Are you going to add a super CAP for peak power? I swapped the head unit in mine but I had the old type MyLink radio. The biggest that would fit in there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Traxy
There will be no capacitors in the build. An extra battery will be added in the spare tire well. Capacitors are good but they do not stabilize the power as well as an extra battery will. The battery in the back will be in parallel with the front battery but all amplifier connections will be made on the rear battery.

·
Super Moderator
1,456 Posts
I just added a 17 Farad Cap module that helped remove the harshness from higher frequency peak demand often encountered in classic guitar play. It's still not a home studio system but I find it helped a little. Jessie Cooke never sounded better in the Trax.

Sorry' just noticed the word log at the end of your title, I will not post again and disrupt your thread.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Traxy
You are fine. I have been in car audio for many years and look forward to talking and helping as much as I can. Good conversation and ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a list of some of the equipment that will be going in the Trax.
Dual batteries
Big 3 electrical upgrade.
0 gauge wire
6.5 inch components for front stage
6.5 inch coaxial for rear stage
2 × 10" subs
Audiocontrol DSP
1 × 4 channel amp
1 × mono amp
Various distribution and ground blocks
And anything else needed for the build.

There will be custom fiberglass molding and custom subwoofer box.

·
Super Moderator
1,456 Posts
Better make those sub boxes easily removable because behind the taillights are access panels. Also the rear fuse block has a lot of unused fuses.

·
Super Moderator
1,456 Posts
They're going to look odd outside. lol

Actually can't wait to see your work, good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi everyone. I have been on the phone with a few radio harness companies to see if there is a harness that will allow us to add aftermarket amplifiers to the Trax. The answer is "NO". So I set off to do some hands on research of my own.

Disclaimer: The information in this post is in reference to the 2019 Trax LT with the Bose sound system. I have no idea if the info is the same for the non Bose system.

The amplifier location is just behind the rear right side seat under the jack equipment tray. To access the amp you will need to remove the right side tray. It is that easy.

The amplifier has 3 plugs on it. By the picture below from left to right. All of the wires mentioned below have been verified with a multimeter and polarity tested.

Plug 1:
Red/Gray is constant (+)12v
Black/White is (-) ground
Green/Violet is mono sub (+) positive
Gray/Black is mono sub (-) negative

Plug 2:
Wires Green (+) & Green/Black (-) is left rear speaker output.
Wires White (+) & Blue/Black (-) is right rear speaker output.
Wires Blue (+) & Brown/Blue (-) is left front speaker output.
Wires Yellow (+) & Yellow/Black (-) is right front speaker output.

The above output wires and sub wires are a "Speaker level output" not a "Line level output" witch means you will need to use some sort of LOC or line output converter to connect these wires to an amplifier or connect these wires directly to a speaker level input on an amplifier if provided.

Plug 3:
Wire Green/Yellow is the amplifier remote turn on switched (+)12v
The other wires in this plug are the input wires from the radio.

The wires I mentioned with the color codes are the only wires that need to be used to hook up aftermarket amplifiers.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi everyone. I have not been on for awhile, work has been crazy. Even with this pandemic going on.

I have started to do my door panels. Each door will hold 4 x 6.5" Soundstream SM.650 speakers. Here are a few pics. I will gladly answer any questions.
20200424_180456.jpg
20200502_115412.jpg
20200502_115423.jpg
20200502_115456.jpg
20200502_115529.jpg
20200502_154542.jpg
20200502_174446.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12