Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Does anyone know if the ambient air temp sensor in the front bumper affects any other engine performance? I was told that it only shows the outside air temp on the radio/computer screen reading and does not affect any other function. Especially if the inside heat and ac control is a regular dial knob, left to ac, right to heat, etc.
And, once the sensor is replaced, is there any need to reset the computer at all, or does it automatically fix a bad sensor issue?
Thanks,
cj

·
Super Moderator
2,175 Posts
This sensor has one function to tell ambient temperature. The ECU doesn't use this information it has plenty of engine sensors for that. But the BCM uses it to determine if it should turn rear defog and side mirror heat upon remote start. Some vehicles may also have heated seats and steering wheel heat that can also be programmed upon remote start if temperatures falls below +3°C or (+37°F).

Reactions: riapip

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, no heated seats or steering wheel. I don't know much about this car yet, does this mean that a sensor that's stuck on 32 degrees will have problems with ac or heat? So, the engine will not run any differently because of the 32 degree read?
Thanks,
cj

·
Super Moderator
2,175 Posts
Like I said engine's ECU does not look at that sensor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I said engine's ECU does not look at that sensor.
OK, the dealer told me just what you said the first time I was there and the second time, said that it does affect car performance. Don't think he knew, really.
Do you know if the sensor can be replaced by removing only the splash shield? It sure looks that way, just a few screws on the plastic shield, or do you need to remove the whole bumper?
Also noticed that the screws go into a piece of plastic (almost seems like it moves) and it's hard to relocate the original hole to reattach.
Thanks,
cj

·
Super Moderator
2,175 Posts
Didn't remove anything. Just pushed the old one out and pulled it through the grill, undid the connector, put new one on and wiggled my big fingers until I could push the new one back in place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts