Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all.

I just want to rant about the factory radio. For everyone that doesn't know I am currently installing a custom stereo in my Trax.

I was not going to replace the factory radio as I like the function and look of it, but that has changed.

I have installed the Audio Control LC7I and to integrate the factory wiring to aftermarket amps. Install was seamless thus this is where the problem lies with keeping the factory radio.

As Trax owners know when you unlock/lock the car or just open a door or the hatch, that function wakes up your car. Not necessarily turning on the radio but it is awake. In doing so the vehicle communications between various components create A Lot of Static and it is radiated through the system even when the radio is off. You can have the radio off while driving and the blinkers still sound through the speakers. This is the sort of noise that cannot be removed from your vehicle.

This noise is so bad that my O-scope pics it up and it messes with the test tones I use to set gains and crossover points on my equipment. The AC voltage signal fluctuates so bad with the static producing a non clean usable signal. This is not good for a quality stereo system.

With that being said I am going to change out the radio for an aftermarket one. Metra has produced a dash kit for the 2017 & up Trax but there is no wiring harness yet but that is not going to stop me...lol.

I will keep everyone updated on the transition from factory to aftermarket.

Background on my Trax. It is a 2019 Redline with Bose option. I bought it brand new with 4 miles on the clock in March of 2019. My car now has 69,654 miles as of this post. Yes I drive aloft. About 150 to 200 miles a day to and from work so car is way out of warranty so I'm not worried about anything right now.

My biggest hurdle is going to be all of the saved settings that are programmed in the radio. When I remove the radio, if the setting are still intact within the computer of the car I will be golden! I am not worried about all of the chimes the car makes so i don't care about keeping them. They can be annoying especially when I want to listen to the radio with doors open, constant dinging is for the birds.

If there is anyone here that can chime in on the settings being saved after the radio is removed yes or no would be greatly appreciated. " Traxy " lol

I am open for any discussion about car audio. This has been a passion of mine for the last 25 to 30 years. Did this professionally for about 10 or so years now so this is just a hobby for myself now but i am always wanting to help the car audio community.

Wish me luck...lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good morning all.

I just want to rant about the factory radio. For everyone that doesn't know I am currently installing a custom stereo in my Trax.

I was not going to replace the factory radio as I like the function and look of it, but that has changed.

I have installed the Audio Control LC7I and to integrate the factory wiring to aftermarket amps. Install was seamless thus this is where the problem lies with keeping the factory radio.

As Trax owners know when you unlock/lock the car or just open a door or the hatch, that function wakes up your car. Not necessarily turning on the radio but it is awake. In doing so the vehicle communications between various components create A Lot of Static and it is radiated through the system even when the radio is off. You can have the radio off while driving and the blinkers still sound through the speakers. This is the sort of noise that cannot be removed from your vehicle.

This noise is so bad that my O-scope pics it up and it messes with the test tones I use to set gains and crossover points on my equipment. The AC voltage signal fluctuates so bad with the static producing a non clean usable signal. This is not good for a quality stereo system.

With that being said I am going to change out the radio for an aftermarket one. Metra has produced a dash kit for the 2017 & up Trax but there is no wiring harness yet but that is not going to stop me...lol.

Background on my Trax. It is a 2019 Redline with Bose option. I bought it brand new with 4 miles on the clock in March of 2019. My car now has 69,654 miles as of this post. Yes I drive aloft. About 150 to 200 miles a day to and from work so car is way out of warranty so I'm not worried about anything right now.

My biggest hurdle is going to be all of the saved settings that are programmed in the radio. When I remove the radio, if the setting are still intact within the computer of the car I will be golden! I am not worried about all of the chimes the car makes so i don't care about keeping them. They can be annoying especially when I want to listen to the radio with doors open, constant dinging is for the birds.

If there is anyone here that can chime in on the settings being saved after the radio is removed yes or no would be greatly appreciated. " Traxy " lol

I am open for any discussion about car audio. This has been a passion of mine for the last 25 to 30 years. Did this professionally for about 10 or so years now so this is just a hobby for myself now but i am always wanting to help the car audio community.

Wish me luck...lol
Any luck on the aftermarket radio install I am trying to install a dmh 4600 pioneer and retain the factory backup camera you got any input on that. Any and all help would be appreciated thank you brother
Good morning all.

Wish me luck...lol
Any luck on that aftermarket radio install ? I got the same Trax LT Redline but w/ the Bose. Trying to integrate a pioneer
Good morning all.

Wish me luck...lol
Any luck on the aftermarket stereo install on your 2019 Chevrolet Trax I got the same one but without the Bose system trying to integrate a pioneer dmh w 4600 NEX but trying to keep the factory backup camera can you give me any help
Good morning all.

Wish me luck...lol
Any progress on your aftermarket radio install on your 2019 Chevy Trax? I have the same vehicle but without the Bose system and I am trying to integrate a Pioneer dmh W 4600 NEX and retain the factory backup camera can you give me any kind of heads-up or help. Thank you brother

1 - 3 of 3 Posts