Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I have a 2020 LS, I had an Aftermarket Remote start put on.
(I have an aftermarket fob for starting)
It works really great, however this is what I found out about the Chevy:
Once the vehicle is started the OEM Key fob becomes disabled, so
you cannot unlock the doors while its running. (I know really weird).
If you turn off the car the fob works.
So I went to the dealer tested on another LS (with out remote) started
the car and confirmed that is the way it is made (makes NO SENSE).
You can unlock the doors with the app on you phone, or sitting in the car
and unlock the locks from the switch, all while its running.
I called My Chevy, he was surprised and thought it was dumb also, as did the sales person.
Does anyone know if that "feature" can be disabled, its not a safety feature, it almost looks
like an oversight in the design. You either use the key to open the door or shut it off to use
the fob, seems like there should be a fix for this, anyone have any Ideas??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
My 1st thought was a theft deterrent set up; although your 'oversight' thought seems more plausible. Seems odd to me also. You mentioned it is an aftermarket item. Was this purchased through Chevrolet/GM? If not, would you consider calling the manufacturer of the remote? Who installed it? Would you contact them if it wasn't installed by a GM facility? Maybe a mishap with the wiring? 1 last thought, and I don't mean to sound derogatory, but is there any fine print that states this? Sometimes some companies can be sneaky with their wordings.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Trax LT AWD
75 Posts
I think it may be an intentional security thing. I had a ‘97 T-Bird that I left running with the a/c on, key in ignition, doors locked, remote in pocket while I ran into a store for two minutes. Came out and remote didn’t work with car running. 1-mile r/t spare key walk (100+°). It too had an aftermarket remote start, although it wasn’t used in that instance.

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
I read through the owner's manual. There is no mention of this or any personalization that should affect this. Is your Trax push start and does it have the button on the door handle?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 1st thought was a theft deterrent set up; although your 'oversight' thought seems more plausible. Seems odd to me also. You mentioned it is an aftermarket item. Was this purchased through Chevrolet/GM? If not, would you consider calling the manufacturer of the remote? Who installed it? Would you contact them if it wasn't installed by a GM facility? Maybe a mishap with the wiring? 1 last thought, and I don't mean to sound derogatory, but is there any fine print that states this? Sometimes some companies can be sneaky with their wordings.
Thanks for the reply...Chevy / GM would not install one, oddly enough (at the least the dealer I purchased the car at).
Interestingly enough, when I picked up the car from where it was installed (ABC WareHouse, Legit place if your not familiar), when I talked to them they said, that is what Chevy does!, the oddest part if he would have told me that in
the first place I would have probably just bought the next model up to open the doors. (I guess I can still do that, but, if its
something that can just be "turned off / reprogrammed", it would cost me less. Nothing in the print, but not a derogatory
at all! Or I guess I just use my phone....

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it may be an intentional security thing. I had a ‘97 T-Bird that I left running with the a/c on, key in ignition, doors locked, remote in pocket while I ran into a store for two minutes. Came out and remote didn’t work with car running. 1-mile r/t spare key walk (100+°). It too had an aftermarket remote start, although it wasn’t used in that instance.
Wow, that's really interesting!, I never put that together as a security thing, just because you can open it with your Chevy app on your phone. Funny you say that, when I first got the remote start, I must have did something wrong, because I
received a notification that the security system had been activated (Not sure exactly what that does, but was surprised) So I turned the car off and on again. That could explain things, funny thing was is the dealer is / was completely unaware. Mine, being LS has the flip key on the fob to open the door & start the car not like the LT.
The sales person even confirmed with another LS that is how it seems to work. (No remote start on it)
Thanks for the reply, I will see if I can find out more going in the security direction

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I read through the owner's manual. There is no mention of this or any personalization that should affect this. Is your Trax push start and does it have the button on the door handle?
Thanks for the reply, I did the same thing also, I could find anything about it.. My Trax is the LS, it does not have the push start. The LS has a flip key on the fob, to open the door (unless its not running and you use the unlock button) and then
the key to start the car. I have never had a car that did that before, it seems so odd to me...
Thanks again for the reply

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
I have a 2016 and mine will only unlock the driver's door when remotely started before you get to it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 2016 and mine will only unlock the driver's door when remotely start before you get to it.
Security thing or not, I still find it weird / useless to lock the fob out when the car is running....
Oh well, either use my phone or upgrade the remote....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interestingly enough, after doing some more digging, it appears that other some other car manufacturers do the same thing. Lock the fob out while the car is running.... (Must have typed in the right words in the search engine this time!)
I have seen posts on Dodge, Toyota, Subaru. (Not sure if they were a one time event or not, however...)
I'm sure there are others, maybe this is just new to me, Just never ran into it before....

·
Registered
157 Posts
I figure there is a timer for the remote start. If there is, I wonder what happens if the timer runs out, engine shuts off, then you try to unlock the door with the fob.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I figure there is a timer for the remote start. If there is, I wonder what happens if the timer runs out, engine shuts off, then you try to unlock the door with the fob.
If you turn the car off via the remote, you can open the doors (key fob is active!).
Interestingly enough, if you put the key in the ignition, the fob is disabled immediately! (as soon as it touches the metal part of the ignition)

I would just like to know why??, its not a safety feature, maybe like someone suggested, its part of the security system.

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
It's not the key touching the ignition, it's the theft deterrent module detecting the transponder in the keyFOB as it gets close enough. Life would be so great without thieves and car jackers, but unfortunately it is the world we live in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
It's not the key touching the ignition, it's the theft deterrent module detecting the transponder in the keyFOB as it gets close enough. Life would be so great without thieves and car jackers, but unfortunately it is the world we live in.
I swore I had to touch the metal, but will try again, (its not a push button, has a flip out key I have to use), but you're probably right, makes it harder to steal the car...
For Sure! Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,272 Posts
Mine is a 16 and may work differently than yours. I believe even the flip keys are different now.

Mine,...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine is a 16 and may work differently than yours. I believe even the flip keys are different now.

Mine,...

View attachment 3969
Looks a bit different, but I'm sure you are right.... I guess I should just quit fighting it.
Either I turn off the car before unlocking or spend more money and get an the next model up for the remote / start - unlock.
Or just use the key in the door!...Funny how something so simple can be so aggravating!!...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I swore I had to touch the metal, but will try again, (its not a push button, has a flip out key I have to use), but you're probably right, makes it harder to steal the car...
For Sure! Thanks
Update: As soon a part of the key (and I mean just a bit) is inserted into the ignition, the fob is disabled.
It must be part of the Security System, I don't understand....But it was funny The Sales person was just as unaware....

Thanks Everyone!

·
Registered
157 Posts
They frequently are.
I generally don't have anything against legitimate sales people at legitimate dealerships. If I have a detailed question about my vehicle, I have found asking a tech for information 1st to be most beneficial. If a tech is not available, I will ask a service advisor. I will speak with a sales person about transactions concerning a sale.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I figured I would just conclude this post. Hopefully it helps some else out.
It turns out, the problem is caused by the security system.
Once the alarm is armed (Lock the doors & 10 Seconds) ,
If the door is opened with the key (flip key on fob), it activates the alarm.
Chevy sees this as: if you don't use the fob to open the door, it is a breach in security! (You would think the key opening the door would deactivate the alarm as well, but it does not, I do find it odd)
Yes it actually does this, I tried this on my son's Chevy Truck. Same results.

Thank You All for the help / suggestions.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts