Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got this car from the dealership and didn't give it a thorough enough look through before we brought it home (I know, I know....long story). just noticed that the mechanism to lower the rear seat on this side is seemingly not connected on the inside and therefore doesn't work (I can't lower the seat back at all). I would really like to be able to fix this myself if possible because the dealership was not pleasant to deal with. any advice or diagrams for how this mechanism works on the inside and how to get in there without messing things up more, would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
I'm really trying to understand your problem. But don't understand, mine works good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm really trying to understand your problem. But don't understand, mine works good.
the mechanism doesn't work. the passenger side one works and the seat can fold down but on the driver's side rear, the button you press to unlatch the seat back so that it can fold forward, is not connected to whatever makes it release. when you pull the latch/press the button thing (from the picture) nothing happens because it isn't connected to anything. just wondering how I might get inside this to reconnect it or see what's wrong with it to potentially replace a part or whatever I have to do.

here's the working passenger side picture for comparisons sake. you can even see how the whole housing for that button is displaced from how it normally is on the driver's side one, compared to the passengers side one

·
Super Moderator
265 Posts
Why are you trying to do anything with it? Take it back and make the dealership fix it. There's no reason a 2020 doesn't have full functionality, and whether you knew about it or not should make zero difference.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why are you trying to do anything with it? Take it back and make the dealership fix it. There's no reason a 2020 doesn't have full functionality, and whether you knew about it or not should make zero difference.

because the dealership people were insufferable and half of them weren't wearing masks. if it wasn't the best price I could find I would have gone somewhere else. I'm really trying to not return there if possible, hence my original post.

·
Super Moderator
265 Posts
Insufferable or not, be just as insufferable back to them for selling you something that was broken. I'm sorry but I'm not going to let the presence of a mask or lack there of, absolve anyone from their legal responsibility. They won't even fix the seat back, it's easier to just replace it and send you on your way.

Is there a night drop off box at the dealership? Do they offer pickup service for the vehicle? Is there another GM dealership (Buick will work too) in the area you can go to? There are ways to minimize contact no matter what options are available, but don't go spending time and possibly money fixing something that is covered under the warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Insufferable or not, be just as insufferable back to them for selling you something that was broken. I'm sorry but I'm not going to let the presence of a mask or lack there of, absolve anyone from their legal responsibility. They won't even fix the seat back, it's easier to just replace it and send you on your way.

Is there a night drop off box at the dealership? Do they offer pickup service for the vehicle? Is there another GM dealership (Buick will work too) in the area you can go to? There are ways to minimize contact no matter what options are available, but don't go spending time and possibly money fixing something that is covered under the warranty.

I traded in my old car for the trax. I live like 15 miles from the dealership. I live with an immunocompromised person, which is one of the bigger reasons I'm trying not to go back there from a safety standpoint. besides all that, I need my car and can't be without it for whatever amount of time they're probably going to want to keep it.

I understand that I can take it back to the dealership. I'm trying to not do that. if you're telling me it's completely impossible for me to get this fixed without taking it back then I will accept that. but if that isn't the case, I would really like to just try to fix it myself. I just wanted to know if anyone could provide info that would help me do that.

·
Super Moderator
265 Posts
If the handle is basically dead, there's probably parts missing or completely broken. It could be a spring, a cable, broken bracket, jammed latch, or even just a linkage pin that ties everything together. Unless you can find a zipper to remove the cover, which probably won't remove because the seatback is lock in the up position, you're not going to be able to get inside to fix the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the handle is basically dead, there's probably parts missing or completely broken. It could be a spring, a cable, broken bracket, jammed latch, or even just a linkage pin that ties everything together. Unless you can find a zipper to remove the cover, which probably won't remove because the seatback is lock in the up position, you're not going to be able to get inside to fix the problem.

i was hoping, if I could find some kind of diagram or schematic of how the button works, I might be able to engage the mechanism from the gap, and then from there, fold down and open the seat up and check it out. but if I can't, then I'll just try to find a closer dealership. will any chevy dealership be able to deal with it?
in any case, thanks for your time.

·
Super Moderator
265 Posts
Any GM dealership should be able to correct the issue, especially if they aervice Buick because the Encore is the same vehicle under the surface. If you want to make an attempt, try looking inside of the handle bezel for a screw to remove that may give you access to the mechanism inside from the top.

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
This is all I have.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts