Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried out the ABS on the Trax.
Yesterday driving to work in the dark and with pea soup fog, I had a deer jump out in front of me. I was driving at 30-35 MPH, slammed the brakes hard, very hard, and all 4 tires locked up and the car really wanted to swap ends. Of course instinct took over and my foot modulated the brake to avoid a spin and I got slowed enough to get away with just a clean spot on the front bumper where the deer brushed. But I never felt or heard the ABS kick in, everything else I have ever had with ABS you can feel the ABS pulsing in the peddle and you can hear the "growling" sound that comes with it. It did sound and feel like the back right tire was skidding the whole time, and that is also the side the car tried to spin to. That is the most lightly loaded tire under these conditions so most likely to lock up first. As soon as we get some more snow I will be out doing some testing.

Now I am wondering if the ABS is even working, the ABS light comes on at startup and then goes off as it should and there are no codes pending.

On the brighter side, I was amazed at just how fast the Trax came to a stop, If I had been in my Silverado I would have fresh venison in the freezer right now and be talking to the insurance man.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I had to make a quick stop just yesterday on the way home, the car stopped very quickly and I did feel the pedal pulse, I was on dry pavement.

At this time of the year we have cinders laying around here and there on the roads, a car can slide like its on ball bearings on that stuff.

A few years back there was a an pretty good accident that cut down the speed we used to drive coming down the mountain, they blamed the drivers and speed of the cars before they blamed the cinders that were all over the roads.

The accident was the fault of the state, for sabotaging the roads, but of course the driver got blamed for the accident.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course it was the drivers fault, they were "driving to fast for conditions". That is the standard citation issued around here if you loose control. It does not matter why you lost control, if you would have been going slower you would not have lost control.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts