Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Chec trax LS 2016
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello 馃憢馃徏.

How do you find the Acceleration on these. I鈥檓 going from a jeep to a chev trax . Wanted a smaller suv type . I like the outside of the car the inside Yes it鈥檚 pretty basic but I just can鈥檛 seem to get use to it. Or am I just driving it wrong . It pulls back when u take your foot off the peddle . Sluggish .

Registered
I have a 2019 and I鈥檝e noticed that she likes to be gassed. It鈥檚 slow as **** unless you really gas that **** and then the turbo winds and it takes off like a bat out of ****. There鈥檚 a bit of a lag but if you time it right you鈥檒l get the pep that this engine can offer you, also if you have shitty tires or a lot of weight in your car then I could also see those factors affecting your take off.
Of course it鈥檚 slowing down when you are releasing the throttle you aren鈥檛 gassing it making it accelerate, my advice to you if you don鈥檛 want it to slow down is to keep the pedal to the medal.

Registered
Trifecta has a tuner which allegedly makes it perform better (it adds like 44HP). The only catch is that you have to use premium gas all the time.

My coworker used it on his Chevy Sonic and he said it made a huge improvement.

Registered
Chec trax LS 2016
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

thanks for the response back. All new tires on the car . As you said it鈥檚 the timing
I have a 2019 and I鈥檝e noticed that she likes to be gassed. It鈥檚 slow as ** unless you really gas that ** and then the turbo winds and it takes off like a bat out of ****. There鈥檚 a bit of a lag but if you time it right you鈥檒l get the pep that this engine can offer you, also if you have shitty tires or a lot of weight in your car then I could also see those factors affecting your take off.
Of course it鈥檚 slowing down when you are releasing the throttle you aren鈥檛 gassing it making it accelerate, my advice to you if you don鈥檛 want it to slow down is to keep the pedal to the medal.

Registered
Chec trax LS 2016
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi

thanks for the response back. All new tires on the car . As you said it鈥檚 the timing. If I drive slow it is fine.none of that jerky movement . But you put your foot down and yes the turbo kicks in . I like the car but I鈥檓 use to a Jeep . Wanted to down size but after I financed it I was like oh no 馃う鈥嶁檧锔. Small compact all that I was looking for . Basic inside of the car I have to agree. Just like I have to learn how to drive it without the pull back or sounding like it鈥檚 a wine鈥檇 up car

Registered
The cabin leaves something to be desired forsure, I guess that鈥檚 how they get you to upgrade to the Buick. You really don鈥檛 have to drive any different, if you are light on the throttle the turbo will more or less help it run more efficiently. If you do find yourself gassing it and the turbo starts to wind just push down a little harder and embrace it. It鈥檚 one of the most redeeming bits of this car is that every once in a while it acts like a little Tasmanian devil.

Super Moderator
Trifecta has a tuner which allegedly makes it perform better (it adds like 44HP). The only catch is that you have to use premium gas all the time.

My coworker used it on his Chevy Sonic and he said it made a huge improvement.
I Installed the Trifecta tune on my Trax. The only difference I noticed was $400 out of my wallet and different shift points. It's a scam, I'm embarrassed that I fell for it. Also they're money back guaranty is a lie. They wouldn't give me my money back, they claimed there was something wrong with my engine, engine works fine.

Registered
I have the Diablo tuner on my truck, It made a lot of difference. My seat of the pants dyno shows much better acceleration and I am measuring a 9% increase in gas mileage and a few other unrelated benefits. Any time you get better performance and better gas mileage it is a no brainier for me. Once the lease is done if we keep this Trax I will look into getting a tuner for it.

Registered
Hello 馃憢馃徏.

How do you find the Acceleration on these. I鈥檓 going from a jeep to a chev trax . Wanted a smaller suv type . I like the outside of the car the inside Yes it鈥檚 pretty basic but I just can鈥檛 seem to get use to it. Or am I just driving it wrong . It pulls back when u take your foot off the peddle . Sluggish .
Initially the Turbo lag can be quite disappointing. But, as you learn the car and what it wants, its quite peppy for what it is. I have stood on the gas peddle to see what top speed was and at 103 it starts to float. Its fast enough to get from point A to B. I like my little Trax. I suits me just fine ...

Registered
I Installed the Trifecta tune on my Trax. The only difference I noticed was $400 out of my wallet and different shift points. It's a scam, I'm embarrassed that I fell for it. Also they're money back guaranty is a lie. They wouldn't give me my money back, they claimed there was something wrong with my engine, engine works fine.
Thanks for the warning. I was eyeballing their products.

Super Moderator
Initially the Turbo lag can be quite disappointing. But, as you learn the car and what it wants, its quite peppy for what it is. I have stood on the gas peddle to see what top speed was and at 103 it starts to float. Its fast enough to get from point A to B. I like my little Trax. I suits me just fine ...
You're definitely right about that floating feeling around 103-105 mph. Best I've done was 110 mph in a mile long tunnel at 3:00 a.m., I let go of the pedal about 3/4 of the way through because the float made me nervous approaching the exit. There's a lane shift onto the bridge from the exit of the tunnel, so I needed to drop about 50 mph to do it safely.

Overall, I love my Trax and I truthfully drive it faster than most of the cars I've owned. There's definitely a different type of launch with a turbo engine as opposed to a naturally aspirated one. Turbo lag is definitely noticeable in the first 30 mph or so, there aren't too many opportunities where you can jump off the line like a bullet. Having AWD will help out slightly in dry conditions for launch, but the real fun starts when you get the turbo spooling and the boost kicks in.

What I've learned with my Trax is that the vacuum switch from releasing the brake pedal causes a minor surge in the engine, if you time it right and catch that surge with about 1/3 of the gas pedal depressed and a steady increase as you accelerate, that little engine will spool pretty fast and surprise the guy next to you at the light.

The hidden strength of the Trax is in the twists and turns, although it has very noticeable body roll it never makes me feel like I'm losing the road under my wheels. I can actually accelerate in the corners well before most other traffic on the road and end up making a sizeable gap without a ton of effort, and the turning radius is almost perfect in tight turns with minimal braking.

Sent from my Power using Tapatalk

Registered
You're definitely right about that floating feeling around 103-105 mph. Best I've done was 110 mph in a mile long tunnel at 3:00 a.m., I let go of the pedal about 3/4 of the way through because the float made me nervous approaching the exit. There's a lane shift onto the bridge from the exit of the tunnel, so I needed to drop about 50 mph to do it safely.

Overall, I love my Trax and I truthfully drive it faster than most of the cars I've owned. There's definitely a different type of launch with a turbo engine as opposed to a naturally aspirated one. Turbo lag is definitely noticeable in the first 30 mph or so, there aren't too many opportunities where you can jump off the line like a bullet. Having AWD will help out slightly in dry conditions for launch, but the real fun starts when you get the turbo spooling and the boost kicks in.

What I've learned with my Trax is that the vacuum switch from releasing the brake pedal causes a minor surge in the engine, if you time it right and catch that surge with about 1/3 of the gas pedal depressed and a steady increase as you accelerate, that little engine will spool pretty fast and surprise the guy next to you at the light.

The hidden strength of the Trax is in the twists and turns, although it has very noticeable body roll it never makes me feel like I'm losing the road under my wheels. I can actually accelerate in the corners well before most other traffic on the road and end up making a sizeable gap without a ton of effort, and the turning radius is almost perfect in tight turns with minimal braking.

Sent from my Power using Tapatalk
Agree 100% At a stop light if you time the turbo and shift just right you can embarrass much better cars. LOL. Not saying I've ever done that. It does handle surprisingly well. I have oversized AT tires on mine ans sometimes you have to be careful and especially so on a panic stop as 1 of the rear tires will unload and lock up. For what it is, its quite a capable little car. I have a friend who drives mine now and then and even he shows it off to his co-workers . He likes it but its just to small for his needs. He does recommend it to people as a 1st car, college car or just as a point A to B driver. It gets really good gas millage, has a great heater and even better air conditioning. The Encore is the luxury version but I would only ruin it. I would buy another one.

Registered
According to the owners manual for my 2016 turbocharged Trax the manual shifting is considered to be the "sport mode", I have installed a class II tow hitch I plan to use for a 14 ft vintage canned ham style camper. The owners manual says the trax is not rated for towing in the U.S. however they are in other countries, as well as comparable to their twin branded versions like the Buick encore for "estimated" towing capability.
I have yet to tow the camper with my trax but am familiar with towing it in a manual Dodge Dakota pickup.
The pushbutton style manual is nothing like driving a real shifting manual vehicle in response or power control. So I'm not sure how hard it will be to tow the camper (remodeled to be lighter weight). I guess I will find out. I plan on having the camper weighed for total and tongue weights before I attempt it on my Trax in "sport mode" or regular automatic shifting.

Super Moderator
Good luck. Hope the hitch doesn't rip-out from under you. lol I'm kidding of course. In Europe they have a trailer hitch option on the diesel model and the unibody rear structure and brakes are upgraded. Let us know how it goes, I have a hitch on mine that I haven't used yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts