Chevy Trax Forum banner

**ACCIDENT PHOTOS FOUND**I found a used 2017 Chevy Trax for sale!

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Traxy 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATE:
Thanks for everyone comments, I've gone through everyone comments
Hey guys sorry for my late reply, I appreciate everyone here for the concerned raised here, thanks for giving your experience on Salvage title, I also did some research and decided to run a VIN check, Thought of getting the Carfax but found cheaper, Luckily the report show the picture of this vehicle in auction with damages, please share your thought on the damage, is it serious, would you guys buy it?? and yes the seems to be too expensive for the salvage title vehicle. The car was sold at estimate price of $3,800 Thanks!
Here is the car report: Get Instant Vehicle History Report

Hello everyone - Hope this is in the right place
Thanks for creating this awesome forum and meeting the wonderful people here. I am looking to get a 2017 Chevrolet chevy trax LT AWD vehicle and I am looking to the community to check if there is anything I should be looking out for while doing my inspection.

They asking price is $13,000 and it has 34000 miles with a Salvage Title.
If you guys have any suggestions on what to check.
Looking forward to joining this family, thanks
Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

Wheel Vehicle Tire Car Automotive tire

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Automotive design

See less See more
#3 ·
I wouldn't look at a salvaged title either. However, a friend of mine had great luck with a salvaged (and repaired) Mitsubishi Galant. The disclaimer: front end damaged that wasn't necessarily bad enough to salvage the vehicle, but the previous owner did anyway. If you're seriously considering this, I highly suggest you have it looked at closely by a reliable shop you trust- Dealership or not. The body style is now 6 years old. Should have been enough time for a lot of shops - and definitely dealerships - to have had some on a lift by now. If push came to shove, and the shop I regularly visit states 'I would consider it', I would be on that.

#4 ·
I would get the before images of the car BEFORE it was repaired. In many cases, a simple sheet metal bump will set off an air bag or more and fire at least the drivers seat belt. On a $70k Escalade, it might be a $15k list price repair and the car is put back on the road. Take that same level of damage to a $20k car and the insurance company will want to total it and offer $15-$18k. Then sell the car at auction for $3k-$6k. Makes good dollar sense for the insurance co.
It does NOT say the car is worthless. If repaired well and you get the right price…you decide. Remember though, many new car warranties may be difficult in getting satisfaction on a salvaged auto. Then again, after 30k miles, new car warenties are challenging to get taken care of.
You be the judge, but do all of your home work. Get the before pictures, not the after. I.E. don’t buy the paint job!

#7 ·
While it's not impossible to insure a salvage-title vehicle, it may be more difficult to do so — especially if you require full coverage with collision and comprehensive.
Most insurance companies will write a liability policy for a salvage-title car but are often hesitant to include collision and comprehensive. For one, assigning an accurate value to a salvage-title car is challenging. According to Kelley Blue Book (KBB), a salvage-title car is typically worth 20% to 40% less than one with a clean title. If you make a claim on a salvage car, you should be prepared for a much lower "total loss" payout than you might expect from a car that's "clean."
The second reason is safety. Salvage cars often have lurking problems that may or may not be addressed in the process of restoring them to health. Not all rebuilders are honest, and cutting corners to boost profitability is fairly common. Either or both of these realities can result in a vehicle with structural and alignment issues that make it dangerous to drive.

#10 ·
UPDATE:
Thanks for everyone comments, I've gone through everyone comments
Hey guys sorry for my late reply, I appreciate everyone here for the concerned raised here, thanks for giving your experience on Salvage title, I also did some research and decided to run a VIN check, Thought of getting the Carfax but found cheaper, Luckily the report show the picture of this vehicle in auction with damages, please share your thought on the damage, is it serious, would you guys buy it?? and yes the seems to be too expensive for the salvage title vehicle. The car was sold at estimate price of $3,800 Thanks!
Here is the car report: Get Instant Vehicle History Report
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

#11 · (Edited)
Hey Smit the little Trax looks like it was looking for Luven in all the wrong places. But not too bad.
I see hood, upper valance, radiator support, radiator and condenser. Drivers side air bag and most likely drivers seat belt.

Not too had of a hit.
What are 30k-49k selling for vs what they are asking for this 2017….
What if any warranty are they offering?
Ask about the seat belt repair, the company that did it or if they just installed a bypass resistor. Check the interior images and confirm what air bags were deployed. The steering wheel air bag is an easy, proper, safe replacement.

A search of The white label with black numbers on the windshield, drivers side should show the auction site with all of the damage images. And by now you should know if the car lived in the rust belt, soggy SE, or sunny SW. You are wishing for little or no road salt life, yet some
, for a daily driver is anticipated.

from the one image, I only see bolt on items and a little base coat/clear coat. I don’t even see any bumper damage.
Find the interior images at the auction site. Again, this is not a very hard hit. Im guessing a 15-25mph oops.

Before you buy, a current GM diagnostic read of all systems would be worth the $100-$150 charge.

have you driven it yet?
As an example, here is a 35k 2018 2.0L 250hp turbo Premier 9 speed auto.
with way too many options I’m driving for $15k delivered +$1k in taxes and the 19” 245/40R19 tires love to ski
Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

#14 ·
My Trax is a salvage, been driving it for 6 years without a hitch after initial repair. Replace left headlight, fender, side mirror, lower control arm, lower valance and front bumper cover. A couple of weeks of driving revealed that I also needed to replace the half shaft and axle seal. Been good ever since.

Reactions: 1966tbird
This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.