Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I just purchased a new 2020 Chevy Trax with the LS Trim package. The back center console tower is "capped off" where the 110-volt power outlet is on the more expensive trim levels.
Does anyone know if you can simply un-cap and plug in the outlet (assuming the car is prewired for the plug) or is it a bigger deal? What would be the cost to DIY, or have the dealer install one?
Thanks in advance for your replies!
TY Bill

·
Super Moderator
2,030 Posts
First start by checking if the fuse is in the fuse block. It will be F21 second row from the left top fuse. If you have no fuse it means the harness isn't even there.

Then you will need the harness, the module and the receptacle.

I suggest going to salvage yard and find a donor car. I believe these have remained the same since 2013.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First start by checking if the fuse is in the fuse block. It will be F21 second row from the left top fuse. If you have no fuse it means the harness isn't even there.

Then you will need the harness, the module and the receptacle.

I suggest going to salvage yard and find a donor car. I believe these have remained the same since 2013.
Great - Thank you for your reply! I'll check there first.
TY Bill

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi - Just to follow up again, Yes, my Trax has a fuse in the #21 slot. Any idea how much the dealer might charge to install the electric receptacle, assuming my harnesses is in place to support it? As well, is this an easy install if I did it myself, or is it best for a pro? Thanks again for your thoughts.
TY Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey did you ever figure this out ? Check my own and see the fuse was going to try and take the cap off myself to further investigate .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Thanks for asking. No - I wanted to ask the dealer when I go back for my first oil change. I have a fuse so my guess is it probably is wired to the back. If it is not too expensive, I may have them do it. I still have a ways to go until it's time. I'll keep you posted. Good luck with your Trax! TY Bill

·
Registered
124 Posts
Please do keep us updated. I'm actually due for one soon. I will try and look at it tomorrow and see if there's a fuse. Someone remind me tomorrow afternoon after 5est lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any updates on this? I just got a used 2020 LS and I’d love to install an outlet if it’s possible/inexpensive. Thanks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The factory inverter is so wimpy, I think it maxes out at only 150W. If I had a need for a 120 outlet in the car I would do it DIY and use a bit bigger inverter. I would do between a 400W and a 750W inverter. There is very little cost difference between them. BUT a bigger inverter will NOT run on the stock fuse or wiring, You will need to run all new fused power lines.

In my truck I have a 2000 watt inverter installed but then I need to run corded power tools, The Trax electrical system would never support one that big.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts