Chevy Trax Forum banner
41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Just the look of them on my Lt was worth all the work, I don't really use them but they do improve the look.

To get rid of that ugly black plug where the lights go, even that would be an improvement without the lamps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone successfully installed the fog lights? The dealer told me without changing the computer and harness the existing computer will not recognize the fog lights.

·
Registered
772 Posts

I installed these using a switch I found at advanced auto, if you use the chevy switch the computer needed to be reflashed to put power to the lights.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just purchased a 2016 LT Trax, got a good deal, but as luck would have it there were no fog lights. Their service department tells me that the wiring harness that dealers used for the 2015 isn't compatible with the 2016 {just yet} due to some lighting change made to the 2016. Can anyone verify if this may be true? I also would like the fog lights to function with the regular light switch, which I know would have to be replaced. And this computer update has me concerned. If I go with an aftermarket set up I was wondering how hard it is to get the bezels out. I'm 70yrs old and retired but have a couple of 40+ yr old sons way more mechanically inclined then I am. Lol

·
Registered
772 Posts
The black blanks are throw away's, they are held on with 2 metal clips, if you get under them with something thin, then get your fingers behind them then pull out, the clips then fly off.

The hardest thing was getting the screws in the fogs, because they go in from the back, I came up from the bottom and behind them( they are a real PIA)

The new bezel's pop right in no screws holding them, make sure you don't push them on I think they might get screwed up if you tried to get them off again.

Good luck to you sir.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Where did you get the fog lights, cover and wiring harness? I have a 2015 LT too.

I bought them on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-2016-C...ash=item58cf601006:g:1-YAAOSw~bFWHJEm&vxp=mtr

They have gone up since I bought mine last summer I think I only paid 65 for the bezels and the fog lights.

Other then the fog lights and bezels I bought my own switch and 2 fog light pigtails, maybe 20 bucks more for these things.

Someone here bought the OEM wire harness then found out they would not put on the lights without the computer being re-flashed.

So they have fog lights but they don't work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got everything I need via the eBay link you provided. Today I was looking under the hood, how did you get the switch through the firewall?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Just below the master cyl. you will see the ABS pump lines behind that you will see a large rubber plug where the main wiring harness go's through the firewall.

How I do mine is I take a pair of long nose needle nose pliers, stick the nose through the rubber,(you need to give it a good solid push) then once they come through to the other side I open them then stick something between the handles to keep them partly open.

From inside I put the wire in the between the tips, go outside take what you stuck between the handles so they close now you captured the wire you just pull it to you.

Its easier with 2 people, one can hold the pliers in an open position, while the other puts the wire between the tips.

You have to get inventive when you work alone.

You can try sticking something sharp in the rubber plug to cut it, but usually a cut won't close around the wire making a tight seal.

I can assure you many cuts on your hands, its a tight spot to work even with tiny hands like I have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I was thinking of getting a power source from the low beams (so they only come on when lows are on). In Pa fog lights can't be laminated on high beams to pass inspection. Didn't you do something similar?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Added the fogs but have been hesitant about the wiring procedure. I plan on wiring it to the parking lights (or battery direct) as I have done before, the last time being in my Ford Explorer several years back and they still work with no problems. I like wiring it this way because you can use the fogs with just the parking lights being on. I'm thinking I can splice the factory harness (I have yet to order)to the aftermarket on/off switch that came with the fogs, that I will mount in the cubby hole above the glove compartment (where I mounted the XM radio receiver). I just have been looking for a way to get thru the firewall with the wiring. Big Thanks to "Beeguz" >:D

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yeah I took my power from the low beams, I powered each light separately.Tap into the yellow wire on the wire harnesses running to the headlights.

Go inside find a good ground close to where you are going to mount your switch then all your switching is the ground make sure your wire is of a decent size and the switch can handle the load .
I used a 20A switch from advanced the black switch with the little light on it but I put the switch in such a tight area I couldn't hook up the light but that is OK I know when they are on.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The factory switch won't work without the computer being reflashed don't waste your money on it.

One guy here went that route here, then found out they won't work and might not ever work.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Worked on my son Expedition all day today. Tomorrow I'll order the harness when we take her Trax in for a seat repair and it's first oil change. If the weekend is good and I get the harness, I'll give connecting the lights a try. >:D
Thanks again, Beeguz.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Your welcome, I never had any problems with that set up.

I wished I had bought the oem light switch off ebay with the fog option I could have wired that to work and had a cleaner more factory look.

I did use a black rocker switch, it blended in nicely with the look of the instrument panel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Finished installing my fog lights over the weekend. I took power from the yellow high/low beam wire and used a normally closed relay so they turn off when the high beams are on. No switch needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
772 Posts
The reason I used a switch was because I didn't want them on all the time.

The next owner will deal with that now.

·
Registered
745 Posts
The way you did it was probably still better than what someone else would have done, judging from your history in the car game.

Shouldn't be too hard for someone to accept what you did.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts