Chevy Trax Forum banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
The way you did it was probably still better than what someone else would have done, judging from your history in the car game.

Shouldn't be too hard for someone to accept what you did.
Thanks I doubt the next owner will mind the way it was done, the lights do make the car look more finished than those black block off plates.

·
Registered
1 Posts
timlilije
Did you get your foglights to work??with the switch & wireing harness you showed us???
Did you have to wire the fogs throught the fuse box with a relay and fuse & get the BEC programmed at the dealer? to get the switch and relay to work properly? Was there a seperate harness for the interior that you had to get to go to the switch? or did you have to fish the single wire from the harness you showed throught the firewall to the switch. or is that where it connects to the fuse box? I did not see a battery connecter fuse or relay in the wireing harness you showed. whrer does it connect to power? looked like a ground on one end? is it done? did everything work out OK for you? just wondering about all this I am looking to do the same thing for my 2013 Trax I had big problems with my 06 HHR when I wired my foglights my BEC got realy angry after I wired my fogs through the fusebox with a $40 relay from GM and a fuse it would not even start after I was done. It cost me $500+ at the dealership to get it fixed and they bypassed the fuse box and wired the Fogs directly from the battery with an in line fuse & relay to the switch.
Soeet for the long Post & all the questions but I don't want to make the same mistake I did with my HHR, any further information you have would be great.
Thanks
Wayne

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not to throw a wrench in this but we just called our dealership because we were interested in adding fog lights also and they informed us that adding them would void the warrenty. since GM does not offer the addition at this time it would be considered aftermarket. Just wanted to throw that out there incase nobody knew. :( it's their way to getting everyone to upgrade to a LT.
You have to upgrade to the Trax LTZ for fog lights. Not an option on the LS or LT.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if you are still on here, but do you have pics as to how you wired it? I just purchased a 2016 LT. Want to put the fogs in using the factory switch with built in fog switch (from ebay but genuine oem GM part) and it seems like it is going to be a major pain to do. Not sure if I have to change wiring harness or not. Didn't get that yet. Only got the fogs, interior switch and bezels

·
Registered
772 Posts
You can use all the GM parts but it was said, it had to be enabled in the computer afterwards.

As far as I know the gentleman who went that route had fog lights that did not work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2016 LT and would like to add Fog Lights. After reading the above posts, I have a couple of questions.
Beeguz: I looked up the kit you purchased from ebay and wondered how you used the relay included with the kit? You also posted that you bought a switch other than the one included. Was this to handle the draw that the relay would ordinarily handle? Also, you mentioned in post 55 that the factory switch would not work without a computer flash. In post 57 you indicated that you should have used the factory switch for a stock look. Did you find out that by using the stock (95297028) fog light switch it would work without a "flash" with the aftermarket kit?
I would also like to use the factory switch. If I go with an aftermarket kit I would definitely use a relay as I have in the past for fog lights, running lights and plow truck accessory backup lights.
Two more questions for those who have purchased the factory harness (95490808) and switch (95297028).
1. It's hard to tell by the pictures of the harness. The bulb terminations are obvious, but it looks like there are 2 or 3 other legs. Can anyone tell me where these ends are terminated?
2. Does the factory switch provide power or ground to activate fog light circuit?

·
Registered
772 Posts
I only bought the fog lights and bezels off ebay.

I bought 2 fog light plugs, and a 15 amp rocker switch at Advanced auto.

I made simple wire harnesses, tapped into the low beam circuit for my power, the switches job was to ground my lights.

In the few months that I used the car, the fog lights were on all the time, I never had any problems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This information is provided as-is with no representations or warranties, either express or implied and You assume complete responsibility and risk for use of this information.

K9 Body Control Module X5
13- Fog Lamp Relay Control
13- Circuit 1317,Pin - 13- 0.35 - BN/WH

X5 harness connector at the K9 Body Control Module
Ignition OFF, connect a 3 A fused jumper between the control circuit terminal 13 and ground.

OEM Fog lamp wiring Harness 95490808 plugs into X50A Fuse Block, connector X1, Pin B2

You can test the Relay and fog lamps at X5 harness connector at the K9 Body Control Module
Ignition OFF, connect a 3 A fused jumper between the control circuit terminal 13 and ground.

No the factory head lamp switch does not provide power or ground to activate fog light circuit.
It uses weighted resistor network.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Driving Lights

I just searched Ebay for new listings for the kit that was online when beeguz ordered his. Looks like a good kit to consider especially with his installation details. Looks like the price has gone down (same seller). Here's the current ad:

Still need info. detailed in post 67.
Thanks,
Howard
Was thinking of getting these from ebay for my LT. Anybody used this kit yet and how hard was it? I was looking at my Trax looks like may need to remove headlights to get in there to mount these or is there a easier route? Wiring looks pretty straight forward I am mostly concerned with removing those ugly blanks and mounting the lights and bezels.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yes I bought the kit last year you don't need to remove the headlights.

What you do is carefully, slide something under the black plastic block out piece where the fog lights will be going then pull them.

There are a 2 metal clips holding that old piece on, they just fly off when you pull off that block out piece.

You are going to need 6 speed nuts to mount the fog light housings and you need 2 pig tails to power up the lights.

Got the speed nuts at lowes or home depot I got the pig tails at advanced auto, the pig tails you need are from fog lights, just 2 wires.

Loosen the lower panel under the bumper then squeezed my hand up into behind the lights.

Powered my lights off the Hi beams wires right near where it plugs into each headlight pod.

Inside I mounted a 15Amp switch then used the metal behind the dash as my ground.

Ran the wires in through the rubber around the steering column, I stuck a sharp small screwdriver through the rubber, then pushed the wires into the rubber.

Mounted a black switch with a green light in it, right near the steering column.

Hope that helps, check out this whole thread for more information quite a few have up graded the fronts of their LS or LT's it makes a very big difference in the look of the front of your Trax.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Fog Light Install

Sorry I didn't get back sooner but thought there may be some out there still interested in a Fog Light install on 2016 LT. I ordered kit from Ebay seller I mentioned above. Price was right, lights and bezels were perfect fit, harness, switch and associated electrical parts, JUNK. I made my own harness, used relays and weatherpack connectors and LED dash switch. I wanted the fogs to work like they would if factory equipped, ie. triggered by low beams, (when FL switch is on), and off when using high beams. I used two relays, one triggered by the parking light circuit, (wired normally open), the second by the high beam circuit, (wired normally closed). I used the parking light circuit because they are not used when the DRLs are on, however they are also on with the high beams, so I used the second relay to open the hot wire to the fog lights. I used a small round rocker switch with a blue LED to ground the relay triggered by the parking lights, (high beam relay grounded to chassis). Since the switch was set up to interrupt power, I had to reverse the LED bulb leads. They've been working perfectly and I don't have to remember to turn them off when using high beams (illegal in this State). I can provide more detail if anyone is interested.
Howard

·
Registered
17 Posts
Finally after a long time, I got around to completing Rally Trax' fog lamp install. Went the same route as Beeguz. Had to modify the aftermarket harness here and there, some wires made longer and some shorter to make the engine compartment look neater. Went into the under hood fuse box for switched power, but may change that because they will work without the lights being on. Hid the aftermarket on/off switch inside the small storage bin on the left side of the dash under the headlight switch. Looks great, but took about 3 1/2 hours since I'm so much of a perfectionist. >:D

·
Super Moderator
2,249 Posts
If you ground pin 13 of connector X5 of module K9 with a switch, this will activate the fog lamp relay in the underhood fuse block . This saves you from running a wire through the firewall and adding extra relay.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of this process ?? From start to finish of taking off their bumper and prying of the shitty black bezel etc. It's so much easier when there are pictures to follow. Cant really screw up from there.

·
Super Moderator
2,249 Posts
If you drive your car into a wall these will pop right out.>:D

Reactions: stempe5j

·
Super Moderator
2,249 Posts
You do not need to remove the bumper cover to remove the shitty black covers. I just used a plastic pry tool and they popped right out.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts