Chevy Trax Forum banner
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
i know i can get the bezel out easy, i really want a diagram and pictures of the wiring for the fog lamps, i have bezels that have drl's on them and then the fog lamps also. Just trying to get a little more insight so i dont screw it up. the write up doesnt really help, when you've never done it before.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So if I wanted to hard wire the fog lights so they come on anytime the headlights are on and don't care about being able to turn them off, I could simply wire a connector from the headlight harness to the fog lights? I purchased fog lights and bezel from Ebay for my wife's Trax (2013 LT) but it didn't come with a harness. I'm in the process of ordering the correct connectors from Amazon.

To make the install as simple as possible, I'm hoping I can hardwire directly between the headlights and fog lights. I've read on this thread that this may not work as it would cause too much draw on that circuit but I've also seen at least one member do this but with a line back for the switch.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2,249 Posts
You should wire it through a relay to be safe.

·
Super Moderator
2,249 Posts
Until I can find a GM tech smart enough to enable the fog lamp switch in the BCM I'm going to wire it so they come on with low beams and off with high beams, already have the dual relay module. These relay have open and closed contacts. I will use the closed contact of one relay for the high beam and the open contact of the other relay for low beam.

This will be my setup. B+ will be coming through an inline fuse, the ignition voltage will already have it's fuse.

·
Super Moderator
2,249 Posts
They'll also come on with the DRL unless you can find a pinout for low beams only.
Yes, that's what I want, you can never be seen enough!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,249 Posts
Or if you just want your fog lights on at night just substitute the low beam plus voltage with the park lamp voltage. They will only come ''ON'' at night when the high beams are ''OFF''

·
Super Moderator
2,249 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,249 Posts
I already lost one of those cheap Chinese LED replacement for the fog lamps.

Driver's side is on but very dim. You can see it barely lit...

Now that I know how good and how well they light up the front I will order more expensive ones, some with a warranty. Now that I have changed the fact that they are not on all the time they might last longer. Only on when park lights are on with ignition.

·
Super Moderator
2,249 Posts
Seller came through and is sending me a new one to replace the dead one. I'm impressed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How does using the fog lamp relay in the fuse block bypass the firewall? I’m new to wiring. Would that enable the use of the factory switch or would you still have issues with the BCM?

If you ground pin 13 of connector X5 of module K9 with a switch, this will activate the fog lamp relay in the underhood fuse block . This saves you from running a wire through the firewall and adding extra relay.

·
Super Moderator
2,249 Posts
Because wire is already in harness at pin 13 of K5 going to relay. You still can't use factory switch because it sends a voltage reference to the BCM and not a short or closed contact.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts