Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I found the following part numbers from GM and purchased from CARiD
left fog lamp assembly: 94551773 - Pacific Best P341376 $86.76
right fog lamp assembly: 95227856 (replaces 95227855) - Depo 2352017RAQN $91.15
left trim bezel: 95095471 - Pacific Best P31380 $56.72
right trim bezel: 95095473 - Pacific Best P31379 $56.72
Bulbs - ACDelco (OEM) 13500802 $15.46 each ($30.91 for a pair)
Shipping: $69.76 to Minneapolis suburb

I was sent a link for choosing a pair of wiring harnesses. Of course, i had multiple tabs open, got confused, then lost that page. I found the part number for a Mexico built trax (94785560). Mine was made in Korea. If anyone happens to know this part number, will you please pass it on? I will also need a pair of fuses.

The trim bezels are black with (probably fake) chrome trim. I am seriously considering having the black painted body color (Summit White)

I am thinking of having them wired to come on with the headlights (by way of the ambient light sensor on the dashboard).

Thoughts, suggestions, input? All welcome: good, bad, or otherwise.

Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was at the local Chevy/Buick dealer to schedule oil change and tire rotation a few days ago. Service advisor told me fog light parts are discontinued at GM and this dealership's aftermarket supplier does not offer them. Advisor suggested locating parts and scheduling installation with their body shop (which prompted my purchase - of course without actually speaking with that department). Parts clerk said today someone was asking about adding fog lights to a '17 Trax and this clerk is unable to help with that. I asked for a part number for the wiring harness - which was not provided. I mentioned the Trax I have was made in Korea and I found a part number for a fog light wiring harness for a '15 to '17 Trax made in Mexico. Parts clerk said country of origin (for the vehicle) won't matter. Made in Mexico, made in Korea, made in USA is more of an outsourcing issue.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OEM bulbs: ACDelco 13500802 Base PY20d
OEM wiring harness: GM#95490808 - this is 1 harness for 1 bulb

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The parts I ordered from CARiD showed up. Turns out bulbs were already installed in the assembly. The pair I purchased were unnecessary. Both pairs are H8 35 watts. I found a listing on ebay for low beam and fog light as a single wiring harness. It has a fuse. I have swapped some emails with this vendor. The suggested approach (and the one that seems easier to me) is to swap this harness for the one that is installed now. Fog lights should come on when the low beams come on. no additional switch in the dashboard. this will (hopefully) cover both low beams and both fog lights. Current price is $20
Formula-J87 H11 and H8 single harness

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to the Chevy/Buick body shop today. Told them my trax doesn't have a wiring harness for fog lights. I was informed that shop won't install the aftermarket parts with the aftermarket wiring. I was referred to the repair shop.

There is a body shop called Caliber Collision near by. I was informed they are able to do this installation. Painting the trim bezel is possible. I was told there isn't a good way to scuff the plastic to make the paint look smooth like the rest of the body. Primer (and self etching primer) are possibilities. However, there is a possibility the paint will not be permanent. I am not wanting to pay for paint on the bezels, then pay again to repaint them. So, body colored bezels are out of the equation

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Will they come on with DRL pulse modulated voltage?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will they come on with DRL pulse modulated voltage?
Product description makes no reference to that. I sent a question to the vendor. The response was:

will also work as DRL as long as they are 12V DRL.

halogen DRL setup usually use lower voltage to dim the bulb. like using 6V or 8V.

I have looked a bit on my own and not found any information. Currently, the harness will replace the low beam harness and add wiring availability for the fogs. Signal wire for the fog will need to be snipped at 1 end and attached to the relay box (hopefully tied in with the ambient light sensor). Power line for the relay gets connected to the battery.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
DRLs on a Trax are pulse width modulated to dim them. It is not a 12 volt DC like low beam. I suggest you take park lights since these come on with ambient light sensor. This way if you ever want them on during the day or if you want to signal somebody you just have to turn your park lights on.

Post #67 and #70

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DRLs on a Trax are pulse width modulated to dim them. It is not a 12 volt DC like low beam. I suggest you take park lights since these come on with ambient light sensor. This way if you ever want them on during the day or if you want to signal somebody you just have to turn your park lights on.

Post #67 and #70

is the wiring for your fog lights a separate harness than the low beam head lights?

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Yes. I bought it off of European ebay. I can try and find it, I'm sure I listed here somewhere.

Here it is....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes. I bought it off of European ebay. I can try and find it, I'm sure I listed here somewhere.

Here it is....

[/URL]
is the wiring for your fog lights a separate harness than the low beam head lights?

Post #67 and #70

A representative from the the harness company suggested tapping this harness in to the parking lamps as an option.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
20210119_171326[1].jpg 20210119_171326[1].jpg 20210119_171356[1].jpg 20210119_171441[1].jpg 20210119_172732[1].jpg 20210119_175209[1].jpg 20210119_175528[1].jpg Numbers on relay under 40A: 85 on top, 86 on bottom. Numbers on relay under12VDC: 87 on top, 30 on bottom. last photo is a 30 amp fuse.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
someone else at the non dealer body shop told me they won't do this, but referred me to another shop that does custom work. It's about 25 minutes 1 way. I don't know if they have rental vehicles (as a precaution). Haven't been able to contact them yet. There is another Chevy dealer near by. I tried the live chat, was told a body shop person would call. That hasn't happened. I've been doing stuff to switch jobs, so the lights are on the back burner. Aside from the fact the high temp is around 15F, I am not interested in installing the wiring because I failed the red/green and blue/yellow color tests when I joined the military a while back. I'm not interested in frying me and my vehicle to add a set of lights.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Today I called a dealership in the next city east. I spoke with someone in the body shop. I was told to bring the vehicle and parts in so a tech could look at it. This location does not have their own set of rental vehicles. However, they have an arrangement with Enterprise for rentals. $30 to $50. I will be going there in a few days.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I stopped by the service department at the 2nd dealership the other day. Was told the job could be done. However, dealing with the body control module would probably be necessary to allow the system to recognize the voltage drop. High side estimate was: put it on a lift, look at current wiring, installation of all parts, 6 - 7 hours and approximately $780 (US). I thanked the guy and left.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
It took me probably 1 hour for this install. Simple enough! The dealer wouldn't even attempt the BCM programming. They just can't be bothered. If you can't do it yourself try a sound system shop, they might be willing to do this for you, they are used to wiring stuff.

Reactions: Prince Fan

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It took me probably 1 hour for this install. Simple enough! The dealer wouldn't even attempt the BCM programming. They just can't be bothered. If you can't do it yourself try a sound system shop, they might be willing to do this for you, they are used to wiring stuff.
Thanks for the tip. that type of shop never crossed my mind.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the tip. that type of shop never crossed my mind.
I had a video chat today with a vehicle installation salesman with Best Buy. He contacted a tech. I was told this can happen; however, the charge will be listed as 'custom labor' times the number of hours. 1 store near me has an weekday opening in March. Weekday won't work for me. I was informed this department does installations on weekends. Seems like I have a new lead. Thanks again Traxy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi. I found the following part numbers from GM and purchased from CARiD
left fog lamp assembly: 94551773 - Pacific Best P341376 $86.76
right fog lamp assembly: 95227856 (replaces 95227855) - Depo 2352017RAQN $91.15
left trim bezel: 95095471 - Pacific Best P31380 $56.72
right trim bezel: 95095473 - Pacific Best P31379 $56.72
Bulbs - ACDelco (OEM) 13500802 $15.46 each ($30.91 for a pair)
Shipping: $69.76 to Minneapolis suburb

I was sent a link for choosing a pair of wiring harnesses. Of course, i had multiple tabs open, got confused, then lost that page. I found the part number for a Mexico built trax (94785560). Mine was made in Korea. If anyone happens to know this part number, will you please pass it on? I will also need a pair of fuses.

The trim bezels are black with (probably fake) chrome trim. I am seriously considering having the black painted body color (Summit White)

I am thinking of having them wired to come on with the headlights (by way of the ambient light sensor on the dashboard).

Thoughts, suggestions, input? All welcome: good, bad, or otherwise.

Thanks
1 thing I forgot to mention: the fog light assemblies came with bulbs installed. The pair of bulbs I bought are extra.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
You could take the black hideous looking covers out and snap the fog lights in place, you at least have a better looking Trax.

Reactions: c502cid
1 - 20 of 23 Posts