Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else hear a wooshing / hissing air noise coming from the passenger floorboard area during mild to heavy acceleration or engine load?
It gets louder with throttle input, not speed. Is this normal or could something be wrong with my air intake?

Our 2015 Sonic with the same motor doesn't make this noise.

This is a brand new 2016 Trax LTZ AWD with less than 200 miles.

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hissing noise

I notice a hissing noise our 2016 LT. I thought it may have something to do with the A/C compressor recycling. At some point I'll turn off A/C to see if hissing stops.
Has anyone else noticed this??
Howard

·
Registered
181 Posts
After my A/C is on for awhile (in recirculation mode) the sound of the fan changes, like the blend door opens or something. I wonder if the noise he hears is turbo whistle, but I don't hear it on mine.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hm.. I mean if it's significant enough to where it's bothering you, definitely stop by the dealership and see what they say ? I'm sure if it's a constant thing, re-creating it won't be an issue with a service technician.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, it's definitely not coming from the AC; it happens with it on or off.

From the replies this sounds like this is not a normal sound. I will have the dealer take a look at it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a similar issue. I can hear the whistle sounding noise sometimes but I definitely hear it in when i use the brakes. It sounds like air blowoff so I think there is some sort of leak in the intake or exhaust system.

This issue paired with the lack of A/C working has me very disappointed in my Trax decision.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Seems as if many owners of the Trax have an A/C issue. The A/C works fine in my Trax, but I will admit that I have heard the hissing noise everyone else is describing. It seems to make the hissing or flapping noise when I accelerate.

·
Registered
772 Posts
It could be as little as the doors are not completely closing when you get in, you might try opening one of the door windows before closing the door.

Air pressure in a small vehicle can make the doors tough to close all the way, its worth a try to see if the noise changes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2015 Chevy tracks LT Z and I have started to hear this noise over the past few months when I got the car last fall this did not happen when I break or accelerate or simply just driving sometimes I hear that hissing of air is extremely of noxious what can be done to make this not audible is anybody had any luck with something ?

One Chevy dealers that it's normal the one where I got the car from but I'm not buying it because it didn't do it originally and no of your car that I'm in mixes of maxes noise so I'm kind of pissed off I don't want to be paying on a car where it is very annoying

·
Registered
5 Posts
The noise is happening still today I took it up to the local Chevy dealer and had a tech mission ride from with me for a few minutes but of course it doesn't do it loud enough while they're in the car so they don't know what I'm talking about in the soon as I drop them off and come home it doesn't Shocker.

Do you guys think this is just by design is nothing that can be done except for maybe a modification to do all the noise or could be the air hose loose or something or local repair shop I trust and doesn't really good job could probably figure it out but of course that won't be under warranty but Chevy so far has done crap

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just went to the local repair shop to see if I can get a second opinion in the results are below

Solenoid, Evap system, vacuum leak. See if can make it quieter. Not a problem for safety tho. Newer cars have this. But it seems more audible.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Well now that your trusted guy looked at it take it back to the chevy dealer have them repair the evap leak.

If it has an evap leak, I'm very surprised it hasn't thrown a code.

Some cars run very bad when the evap system doesn't work right, my neighbors Mazda barely ran when the evap solenoid quit.

If the garage you went to could pull a code the chevy dealer should see the same code on his equipment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
funny thing is both places didn't get a code, nor is the engine light on. took it to chevy yesterday, for oil change and other stuff, had a recording i barely managed to hear the air hiss, but they pretty much dismissed it as "that recording does nothing" if we cant have it do it alll the time and now in the shop, we cant do anything"

so im tempted to go to another dealer, -

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad I'm not the only one. I haven't been to the dealer as of yet, still not up to my first oil change. However I am definitely in the camp of it being a vacuum/intake leak of some sort, as it only occurs during heavy engine load (rapidly accelerating from a stop or downshifting and passing on the highway) for me and it sounds similar to older cars i've owned with vacuum leaks.

My initial guess is it would be before the mass air flow sensor to not cause the CEL to come on, but the more I think about it that doesn't make much sense as manifold vacuum is always highest at idle and that was when I always used to hear vacuum leaks on my older cars.

Perhaps it's the turbo that's throwing me off, I've never owned a car with one, maybe the leak is on the pressure side of the turbo and we can only hear it once it's reached a certain pressure?

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have no idea about how cars work, and if i could attach a audio clip i would, its hard to hear the suttle difference but you can.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hissing/squealing noise

I recently purchased a 2016 Chevy Trax LS after trading in my 2014 Sonic LT. Never had one issue with my Sonic and loved that car but wanted something a little more roomy. I love the Trax, but this hissing/squealing noise with the AC is very annoying. Supposedly, this Trax has the same engine that my Sonic did, but the Trax AC makes this ridiculous hissing/squealing noise on a consistent basis. It never happens when idling, but with acceleration or just driving along with the AC on. It stops if you turn the AC off. I've bought many makes and models of cars over the years, including Chevy vehicles, which I love, but this is very disappointing. Been to the dealership a few times about it and told "it is a noise that all of the Trax vehicles make." They even took me for a ride in another Trax that made the same noise. Some type of air release valve in the AC compressor that helps give better gas mileage is what I was told. Keep your gas mileage and give me my quiet ride back!! That is not an acceptable answer. Very disappointed!! Now have the owner of the dealership involved. Why would you make a vehicle that makes this annoying noise Chevy??

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently purchased a 2016 Chevy Trax LS after trading in my 2014 Sonic LT. Never had one issue with my Sonic and loved that car but wanted something a little more roomy. I love the Trax, but this hissing/squealing noise with the AC is very annoying. Supposedly, this Trax has the same engine that my Sonic did, but the Trax AC makes this ridiculous hissing/squealing noise on a consistent basis. It never happens when idling, but with acceleration or just driving along with the AC on. It stops if you turn the AC off. I've bought many makes and models of cars over the years, including Chevy vehicles, which I love, but this is very disappointing. Been to the dealership a few times about it and told "it is a noise that all of the Trax vehicles make." They even took me for a ride in another Trax that made the same noise. Some type of air release valve in the AC compressor that helps give better gas mileage is what I was told. Keep your gas mileage and give me my quiet ride back!! That is not an acceptable answer. Very disappointed!! Now have the owner of the dealership involved. Why would you make a vehicle that makes this annoying noise Chevy??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts