Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to "ruggedize" my Trax a bit, and put on some all-terrain tires on the stock 16" wheels. The tires that come on the Trax are 205/70r16, and I'm wondering if I can get away with installing 215/70r16s without any rub in the wheel wells. Does anyone have any experience with larger tires than the stock 205's?

For context, I drive in the snow maybe once a week, on the way to my local ski resort, and drive on unpaved forest service roads during the summer months to hike. If I'm being completely honest though... I just want the Trax to look more badass than anything.

The tires I'm looking at:

OHTSU AT4000 215/70r16

Toyo Open Country A/T II 215/70r16

Cooper Discoverer A/T 3 215/70r16

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
That little tire size difference won't hurt.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Buick uses a 55 series tire on an 18" wheel it gives you a nice wide tire and picks the car up 2".

I still use my snow tires from my Trax on my Buick when I put the 16" tires on its like lowering the car.( I did buy 60 series snows, which helped drop it another 1")

If I wanted to raise a Trax, I would get a set of 18's off a Buick, then get your wider 55 or 60 series rubber to fit those.

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
Here is the difference between a 215/70-16 and a 205/70-16

Buick uses a 55 series tire on an 18" wheel it gives you a nice wide tire and picks the car up 2".
Are you sure about the 2''?

·
Registered
181 Posts
The wheel well should be big enough, but the problem might be the front strut clearance. I would have the tire shop do a test fit if you're going with 225/70r16, making sure it has enough clearance between the top of the tire and the lower spring perch of the front strut.

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
Your speedometer will be off by quite a bit though and it might affect ABS & T/C not to mention when the clutch for rear wheels kicks in if you have an all-wheel drive.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The wheel well should be big enough, but the problem might be the front strut clearance. I would have the tire shop do a test fit if you're going with 225/70r16, making sure it has enough clearance between the top of the tire and the lower spring perch of the front strut.

What you might try is having a used tire, the size you want to try, mounted on one of your wheels or a wheel that fits like the wheels you are using, before you go out and spend tons of money on tires.

That will give you an idea on how they will fit and look without spending a million on a mistake.

If the fit is too close, you might want to try adding flat washers to the wheel studs to see if it improves the situation, then after you have the right fit then buy a set of aluminum wheel spacers the correct size.

Please be careful that you don't shim the wheel out too far, you need the wheel nuts to bite on as much thread as possible, going too far can put stress on wheel bearings also.

When you move a tire outboard it puts stress on the wheel bearings, years ago many who put wide reversed wheels on cars had wheel bearing problems, because the center line of the wheel was mover outboard way too much.

A little won't hurt, but big tires and weird offsets can cause problems down the road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I'm going to stick with bumping up to 215/70r16 instead of 225/70r16. Since its such a small increase in tire sizes, I don't foresee any issues with the Trax.

I wish Chevy just sold the Trax Activ, but I suppose its fun to customize my own too.

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
If you go to 215/65-16 you speedo will remain close to good. That's what I put on mine and I'm .8% off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you go to 215/65-16 you speedo will remain close to good. That's what I put on mine and I'm .8% off.
I would, but there aren't really options for All-Terrains in that size, other than General Grabbers and the expensive BF Goodrich AT. I think the Toyo Open Country A/T II in 215/70r16 is what I'll end up with.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I know that the tuner that I have for my truck will also tune the Trax. On my truck I can adjust for different tire sizes so that the speedo and everything else works correctly.

Does anyone know if the tuners will adjust for tire size on the Trax?

·
Registered
772 Posts
I know that the tuner that I have for my truck will also tune the Trax. On my truck I can adjust for different tire sizes so that the speedo and everything else works correctly.

Does anyone know if the tuners will adjust for tire size on the Trax?
The only way to know for sure is to try it yourself, I have a Diablo tuner.
I don't recall seeing any adjustments for tire size with the Diablo Tuner on my Corvette if that helps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
215-70-R16 AT tires will work with the factory steel wheels on a 2016. I installed a new set on my Trax. Check out the off road lights I added to the front using a license plate bracket just for that application.

edit, these are Cooper Discoverer A/T3. They have nearly 8" of tread surface. They clear every thing, NO rub at all. I checked my speedometer against 2 separate GPS apps speed and all matched even at 70mph. I've even checked it against speed checks mounted on poles and my speed matched what the cops said I was doing.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
Well you're wrong, sure it's close but 215/70-16 cannot give you the same as 205/70-16. This is mathematically impossible.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I bought a wider tire but smaller diameter for my Buick, I believe they are 205/65/16, I bought them because I got them on a deal.

I really don't care that the spedo is off, I don't keep them on that long, I only install them when we are going to have a bigger snow storm.

I was going to buy a set that were the right size, but why spend more money on something I already have, if I were to keep the Buick they would last me another 10 years.

I originally bought these for my red Trax, on that vehicle they looked OK but they just look wrong on the Buick, even when I get in the car I can feel the difference of how low the car sits.

I lost a few inches in height, going from 18 to 16" wheels, getting in my car with the snows on is like sitting in a hole, I usually have to pull myself up to slide my butt in on the seat.

·
Registered
181 Posts
215-70-R16 AT tires will work with the factory steel wheels on a 2016. I installed a new set on my Trax. Check out the off road lights I added to the front using a license plate bracket just for that application.

edit, these are Cooper Discoverer A/T3. They have nearly 8" of tread surface. They clear every thing, NO rub at all. I checked my speedometer against 2 separate GPS apps speed and all matched even at 70mph. I've even checked it against speed checks mounted on poles and my speed matched what the cops said I was doing.
How's the ride quality?

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
I lost a few inches in height, going from 18 to 16" wheels, getting in my car with the snows on is like sitting in a hole, I usually have to pull myself up to slide my butt in on the seat.
The Trax comes with Continental 205/70-16 but there are not a lot of manufacturers that make a winter tire that size, so yes it would make sense that you have 215/65-16 ( ".8% off ) and here's my intrigue with your comment and you have stated many times you can tell the difference when stepping in. The Buick comes with 215/55-18, you must be very sensitive to height because I'd never be able to tell my Encore was sitting .15'' lower. I'm really puzzled

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Trax comes with Continental 205/70-16 but there are not a lot of manufacturers that make a winter tire that size, so yes it would make sense that you have 215/65-16 ( ".8% off ) and here's my intrigue with your comment and you have stated many times you can tell the difference when stepping in. The Buick comes with 215/55-18, you must be very sensitive to height because I'd never be able to tell my Encore was sitting .15'' lower. I'm really puzzled

Just food for thought...

If the tires were rigid, I can see the difference in diameter being as stated. However, the speedometer is actually reading a radius from the centerline of the spindle to the contact patch on the road surface. This would be 1/2 the amount of error as the actual diameter as it is measured off the vehicle.

If the tire is a softer compound the error could be even less...due to the tire compressing along this radius when it is carrying the weight of the vehicle.

I know it's theoretical, but just another way to look at it. My opinion is that the error stated is worse case and could be slightly less when you factor all of the applied math into it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 39 Posts