Chevy Trax Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
Vehicle speed is determined by the VSS off of the transmission provided the tires on the said vehicle are the rated tires posted inside the door jam. This is an average between a new and a worn out tire. But the tire Calculator is for new tires. Tire compound and flex is pre-calculated in the tire manufacturing and should not come into account here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Vehicle speed is determined by the VSS off of the transmission provided the tires on the said vehicle are the rated tires posted inside the door jam. This is an average between a new and a worn out tire. But the tire Calculator is for new tires. Tire compound and flex is pre-calculated in the tire manufacturing and should not come into account here.
I agree with that. My experience is that in this case it isn't as exact as the math would indicate. I worked at a front end shop years ago and we would calibrate or check customers speedometers. We had a big machine that was similar to a dyno and it was meant for speedometer calibration. It was my experience that when checking different tire combos on customers vehicles...the error was never as far off as the math would indicate. There are probably more variables that would explain it, but it seemed to me in this case, that it wasn't as black and white as just comparing the diameter or circumference of a tire and it was consistent too. It always stuck with me so I just wanted to give some info for those who might find it interesting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
772 Posts
The Trax comes with Continental 205/70-16 but there are not a lot of manufacturers that make a winter tire that size, so yes it would make sense that you have 215/65-16 ( ".8% off ) and here's my intrigue with your comment and you have stated many times you can tell the difference when stepping in. The Buick comes with 215/55-18, you must be very sensitive to height because I'd never be able to tell my Encore was sitting .15'' lower. I'm really puzzled

I'm not very tall, any difference in the height of the seat is noticable, when I have the stock tires on my Encore, I have to boost myself up to sit on the edge of my seat when I get in the buick.

When the snows go on I don't have to boost myself up to sit on the seat, the car sits lower I can feel the difference getting in and when getting out.

I also have an injury that plays a big part in me noticing things like this, my left leg does very little Think of it as a post that steadies me, my right leg does all the work when I stand.

I stand using one leg, the surface that leg steps on makes all the difference in how easy it is for me to get off a seat in this case, I can feel these things getting off the seat when the car is lower is more work, because I have to lift myself out of a hole.

Just like getting out of my Miata is harder when I get out of the Buick with the stock tires on I can slide off the seat standing but not with the snows on I have to lift myself out of a hole.

I never ,measured the height but the next time I install the snows I will take the time to measure and show you just how much difference there really is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of putting General Grabber AT2's on our Trax. That's what we have on our Range Rover and they're great.

We took the Trax on some pretty rutted gravel roads in Southeastern Ohio and the factory Continentals struggled somewhat. The AWD really makes these cars a different animal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Post pics if you get those Grabbers! I was also looking at those. Glad to see some other trax owners wanting to make this car more capable.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not bad. If you have driven AT tires you know they are more aggressive in design. There is a little tire noise and with the car being so light you can feel the tread. ie a slight vibration. The car does ride a bit better with the wider track. Given that the car handles better too. The tire fills the wheel well it gives it a better look. As of today 12/30/17 we had a good 4" of snow so I decided to go play. The tires are aired at 35lbs for highway use but I found the traction was very respectable in undisturbed snow. They handled slushy roads much better than the factory skins, but at times you can feel the slippery conditions. Always adjust speed to given conditions. On fresh snow I found these tires very confident. Very respectable for such a lite car. I could stop when I wanted, back up, go forward, steer, ect. Could I break the car loose, yes. Would I recommend the upgrade, yes.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
These Trax are fairly light weight and hindsight I would have gone with a narrower belt like 195/75-16 if I could have found one. 215/65-16 seemed like a good compromise but I now find myself having to drive accordingly. The 215 having a wider belt tends to ride up on snow instead of cutting through it. When these are wore out and if I still have the Trax and I am still alive I will try a smaller belt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Not bad. If you have driven AT tires you know they are more aggressive in design. There is a little tire noise and with the car being so light you can feel the tread. ie a slight vibration. The car does ride a bit better with the wider track. Given that the car handles better too. The tire fills the wheel well it gives it a better look. As of today 12/30/17 we had a good 4" of snow so I decided to go play. The tires are aired at 35lbs for highway use but I found the traction was very respectable in undisturbed snow. They handled slushy roads much better than the factory skins, but at times you can feel the slippery conditions. Always adjust speed to given conditions. On fresh snow I found these tires very confident. Very respectable for such a lite car. I could stop when I wanted, back up, go forward, steer, ect. Could I break the car loose, yes. Would I recommend the upgrade, yes.
Looking good out there! I'll be upgrading at the end of the month. Still contemplating new wheels along with the tires... >:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
bswarm, Not bad. With the car being so lite I am happy. With the wider tread it handles better and feels more capable. With the more aggressive tread they have some road noise and depending on the road surface you can feel it in the Trax. By feeling it I meen the tread rumble. To me its not distracting. We recently had a 4 to 5" snow so I took it out to play and had no issues at all. I would have been stuck with the factory tires. The frontwheel drive responded to everything I asked it to do with very little tire spin. Breaking is good. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
:nerd:I'm sure you meant braking because breaking is never good.>:D

Reactions: jamie7378

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looking good out there! I'll be upgrading at the end of the month. Still contemplating new wheels along with the tires... >:D
Post up when you do. In my search, finding a wheel that I liked or would consider is not made. Just a lot of 'Tuner' wheels. I wanted something with a off road look. Nothing, Nada. I found and purchased a set of beadlock looking trim ring for a 16"wheel. and am working on redesigning a set of OEM 2007-2011 Jeep Patriot Wheel Center Cap. They have a design I like but they need the bolt pattern shrunk to the 5-105 pattern of the Trax. Its either modify or go to a machine shop to have ones made. I will use the factory lug nuts with the plastic nut covers. Will show and tell when finished. pics wouldn't load.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I want to "ruggedize" my Trax a bit, and put on some all-terrain tires on the stock 16" wheels. The tires that come on the Trax are 205/70r16, and I'm wondering if I can get away with installing 215/70r16s without any rub in the wheel wells. Does anyone have any experience with larger tires than the stock 205's?

For context, I drive in the snow maybe once a week, on the way to my local ski resort, and drive on unpaved forest service roads during the summer months to hike. If I'm being completely honest though... I just want the Trax to look more badass than anything.

The tires I'm looking at:

OHTSU AT4000 215/70r16

Toyo Open Country A/T II 215/70r16

Cooper Discoverer A/T 3 215/70r16
I use this size for a long time in winter, but not every 215/70/16 tire fits, you need rounded edges of the tire, so as not to touch the front shock absorber. The car rides gently, but its stability on the high-speed road worsens. The passage in the snow and ice is greatly increased.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Update on the tires. I have been driving with them for enough time to see how they perform. At highway speeds my average has dropped from 34 mpg to 32 mpg and in the city it was about 28/31 mpg to 25/26 mpg. I expect a bit better average with warmer weather being I live in Ohio. We have had a real winter this year. The Trax does ride and handle better. Takes normal potholes like a champ with the wider tread. There is a little more drift with road seams over the factory tread. Varying road surfaces change the sound and feel of the ride. Also with the wider tread there is much more road spray on the car. I wanted to find a fender flair that looked correct but found nothing that complimented the Trax like the Activ. Wish someone made those. Over all, I like the upgrade.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update on the tires. I have been driving with them for enough time to see how they perform. At highway speeds my average has dropped from 34 mpg to 32 mpg and in the city it was about 28/31 mpg to 25/26 mpg. I expect a bit better average with warmer weather being I live in Ohio. We have had a real winter this year. The Trax does ride and handle better. Takes normal potholes like a champ with the wider tread. There is a little more drift with road seams over the factory tread. Varying road surfaces change the sound and feel of the ride. Also with the wider tread there is much more road spray on the car. I wanted to find a fender flair that looked correct but found nothing that complimented the Trax like the Activ. Wish someone made those. Over all, I like the upgrade.
I live in Columbus, and we made good use of the AWD this winter. The Continental ContiProContacts are pretty garbage in the snow, but they are wearing really well and they're good otherwise, so we might upgrade later this year.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I live in Columbus, and we made good use of the AWD this winter. The Continental ContiProContacts are pretty garbage in the snow, but they are wearing really well and they're good otherwise, so we might upgrade later this year.
The highway tires are junk on anything but good clean highway. Delaware, Ohio for me. I have had my FWD Trax in places that the factory Conties would whimper and refuse to do anything to get away. Filled it up today and run down to Harbor freight on west Broad and it averaged 33.5 mpg. I like my little Trax. I bet your AWD would go about anywhere reasonable with a good set of treads.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This past June I drove the Trax from Central Ohio to Yellowstone NP. I am happy with the performance of the AT tires both on and off road. I think the tires now have 8000 miles on them and the tread still looks new. Here is a breakdown on them, with the Trax being so lite, Different paved road treads change handling drastically. I was on a new concrete highway and the car was all over the place, like driving on slick road. As soon as the highway returned to asphalt everything was fine. I done a lot of off unimproved roads (dirt) and I had no worries, including BLM roads where it was reasonable for me to get into. Just like driving a short wheeled jeep not set up for extreme conditions, pick your line and use skill to avoid mud traps and it will do fine within reason. I did have a situation or 2 under harder breaking that one of the rear wheels would unload and start to lock up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There's only about an inch clearance between 205/70R16 and the lower strut coil spring perch. 215/70R16 should fit fine, and is what I'm going to use as soon as I shred the OE tires. I agree with Traxy, there's no way the 18s are 2" higher, they just look bigger and better.
Do you think changing to 215 70 16 tires will cause issues from bumps in the road may cause rubbing on the strut coil spring perch?

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
Nope not enough difference.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts