Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My ambient air temperature sensor just failed. It is +1°C ( +33.8°F ) outside and it's reading -18°C ( 0°F ). So I removed it to clean the contacts but it didn't help. So I ordered a new one from
for $10Cdn.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/182893889047

·
Super Moderator
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It now works fine but I know it's on it's way out. A new one won't hurt...

·
Super Moderator
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Received the new one this morning, hopefully that's the problem since it hasn't been working the past 3 days, it's reading -18°C ( 0°F ) continuously. I will install the new one later today when it warms up a bit.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Why the @##$ would GM put it there to get blasted with rain, rocks, salt, and anything else that gets thrown up off the road?

·
Super Moderator
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well you have to put it somewhere, after all it is the ambient air sensor it has to be exposed to ambient air. They could have put it maybe a bit higher in the grill maybe but then when you stop you'd get false reading because of heat coming from the air box and radiator.

Reactions: Prince Fan

·
Registered
222 Posts
In order to function the ambient temp sensor has to be mounted very low and forward of the radiator and away from any fog or head lights. That just does not leave much room. I never did find the sensor on my last P/U truck or my new P/U truck. But then I never really had any reason to go hunting for it.

·
Super Moderator
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Installed the new sensor and all's good ! A big $10Cdn repair.

·
Super Moderator
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Didn't remove anything. Just pushed the old one out and pulled it through the grill, undid the connector, put new one on and wiggled my big fingers until I could push the new one back in place.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Didn't remove anything. Just pushed the old one out and pulled it through the grill, undid the connector, put new one on and wiggled my big fingers until I could push the new one back in place.
Re-sending reply because I can't find it in the thread.

"Wow, I could barely get two fingers through the grill and pretty sure I can't grip it well enough to snap one back in. Did yours look like this?"

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
12 Posts
Now I see why you were able to get your fingers in there. My grill doesn't have the opening above it as yours does. Just the narrow slot that's to the right of it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Traxy,
My 2019 Trax dash board gets hot once in a while, right over the hump where the gauges are. I don't seem to see a difference if the heat or a/c is on or not. It seems to be intermittent. Is this normal?
Thanks,
cj

·
Super Moderator
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I saw your other thread and if I owned a 2019 I would have commented but driving a 16 I'm not sure. Mine gets really hot when facing the sun but it's not a place I touch very often. It is probably normal if everything works correctly.

Reactions: riapip

·
Registered
12 Posts
I saw your other thread and if I owned a 2019 I would have commented but driving a 16 I'm not sure. Mine gets really hot when facing the sun but it's not a place I touch very often. It is probably normal if everything works correctly.
Thank you for responding. You've been so great to answer my questions. I'm hoping that it's normal, but I never had one that did that. It's definitely hotter over the gauges than the rest of the dash.
cj

1 - 17 of 17 Posts