Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an antifreeze Leak in my 2018 Chevy Trax AWD the leak is on the driverside below the front bumper, leak is not bad but its leaking but I need to get it repaired I keep refilling the resevoir up every few days or when I see its low I refill the resevoir up to the recomended line I opened up the hood to try to see where its coming from an the engine area is so compact it is hard to actually detect where the leak is from? Does anyone out there have this same problem before. My mileage is at 59,000 already...

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Trax LT AWD
65 Posts
It could be that the spring of the surge tank pressure cap is fatigued and needs to be replaced. Just a thought.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be that the spring of the surge tank pressure cap is fatigued and needs to be replaced. Just a thought.
Presure Cap? You mean the the screw cap on top of the Resevoir?? where I pour in the Antifreez? the black cap?? I thought of that so I cleaned around the resevoir just in case an no its completly always clean free from the color orange antifreeze no leaking? I'm just gonna have to take it in... UGGHHHH!!! these cars dont last too long an its funny how after a certain mileage is up thats covered thru warranty the car starts to break down I my next new car I'm not buying a USA made car after this. All my cars before hand were imported not one problem after the warranty past.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Trax LT AWD
65 Posts
Yes, that’s it. I’m not certain this functions the same, but on older vehicles the pressure cap is on the radiator itself and there’s a separate unsealed reservoir. The spring in the cap is basically a thermostat that opens and closes as the coolant heats and cools. When it gets hot, instead of blowing a hose, it releases some pressure and coolant into the reservoir, sometimes expelling overflow onto the ground via a overflow hose or tube. When it cools, it draws coolant from the reservoir into the radiator. On those older systems, a fatigued cap spring will affect how and when the coolant flows. If out of warranty, a new cap is a cheap, easy fix to try before taking it in for service. The fluid is supposed to be good for 150,000 miles, but springs in the caps can wear out long before that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I c what you mean!! I will check, the only time I see fluid leak is after I drive and do errands an park it in my driveway at home there is a small leak of orange anitfreeze on the ground not to much but enough that i have to check the resevor daily just to make sure the resevor isn't empty.... if the antifreeze goes lower almost to the bottom cannister an I cant see any Afreeze just a smidge at the bottom I then refill it to the line on the resivor right now about an hour ago I drove it out of my driveway an parked the SUV in front an I went to check to see if it leaked there? It did a few drops maybe 1-5 drops I just moved it to a different part of my Driveway??

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an antifreeze Leak in my 2018 Chevy Trax AWD the leak is on the driverside below the front bumper, leak is not bad but its leaking but I need to get it repaired I keep refilling the resevoir up every few days or when I see its low I refill the resevoir up to the recomended line I opened up the hood to try to see where its coming from an the engine area is so compact it is hard to actually detect where the leak is from? Does anyone out there have this same problem before. My mileage is at 59,000 already...
My 2017 Trax LT has the same issue. Leaking below the front bumper. A quick check shows that it might come from the water pump and thermostat. I would like to know more about your case before ordering the parts.

Thank you,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 2017 Trax LT has the same issue. Leaking below the front bumper. A quick check shows that it might come from the water pump and thermostat. I would like to know more about your case before ordering the parts.

Thank you,

Thank you,
Hi I just read your reply; I went for an oil change a few months ago an I asked the service tech to have the leak checked? his diagnosis, was that the radiator had a small leak in it an eventually in time it would become worse the tech also said just keep an eye on the resevor an an always have it filled. That says its not a water pump or thermostate leak or the car would always over heat after its been refilled an the check engine light would come on? He said to have it fixed as soon as you can I asked him how much will you charge me? He said $1,400.00 Dealer Price!!!!!!! to fix it since the warrant already expired like the car knows the warranty expired its starts little by little to break down?? LOLOL My husband knows how to fix cars we ordered the new radiator thru Amazon, now its just a matter of days or weeks for him to take the car apart?? LOLOL I will let you know future outcome... But I think it wouldnt be the water pump or the thermostate or the car would over heat alot an its not doing that, I still am driving it to do errands an stuff but I'm watching the resevor so the antifreeze doesnt go low!! Thanks for your reply!! I'm out here in So Cal in the Inland Empire 1 hour away from Los Angeles an its gets hot over here!! You know this is my 1st American Car an I'm not really happy?? I've always had Imports after I pay this car off in few more months I'm going back to Imports had better luck.... An my car is only 3 years old??? May 2018 is when I bought it new....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi I just read your reply; I went for an oil change a few months ago an I asked the service tech to have the leak checked? his diagnosis, was that the radiator had a small leak in it an eventually in time it would become worse the tech also said just keep an eye on the resevor an an always have it filled. That says its not a water pump or thermostate leak or the car would always over heat after its been refilled an the check engine light would come on? He said to have it fixed as soon as you can I asked him how much will you charge me? He said $1,400.00 Dealer Price!!!!!!! to fix it since the warrant already expired like the car knows the warranty expired its starts little by little to break down?? LOLOL My husband knows how to fix cars we ordered the new radiator thru Amazon, now its just a matter of days or weeks for him to take the car apart?? LOLOL I will let you know future outcome... But I think it wouldnt be the water pump or the thermostate or the car would over heat alot an its not doing that, I still am driving it to do errands an stuff but I'm watching the resevor so the antifreeze doesnt go low!! Thanks for your reply!! I'm out here in So Cal in the Inland Empire 1 hour away from Los Angeles an its gets hot over here!! You know this is my 1st American Car an I'm not really happy?? I've always had Imports after I pay this car off in few more months I'm going back to Imports had better luck.... An my car is only 3 years old??? May 2018 is when I bought it new....
Hi,
The radiator is fine in my case. The Chevy mechanic mentioned that if radiator is to blame then the leak should have been much less. Engine light doesnt show up until there is an increase of temp over the limit so we can not write off any possible reason including water pump/ thermostat. Nevertheless I will have a more detailed check this weekend and let you know the result. Chevy Trax is a great car in term of power and performance but the cooling system seems to be quite erratic after some years of use.
$1,400 is super crazy, dont let them rip off you. Radiator replacement should cost less than $20.

Best,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,
The radiator is fine in my case. The Chevy mechanic mentioned that if radiator is to blame then the leak should have been much less. Engine light doesnt show up until there is an increase of temp over the limit so we can not write off any possible reason including water pump/ thermostat. Nevertheless I will have a more detailed check this weekend and let you know the result. Chevy Trax is a great car in term of power and performance but the cooling system seems to be quite erratic after some years of use.
$1,400 is super crazy, dont let them rip off you. Radiator replacement should cost less than $20.

Best,
Good evening,
I think you have the same problem as me? from the very 1st time it acted up was earlier this year in Jan the "Check Engine Light" went on an the car just went out didn't want to start.An I could smell antifreeze. I let it rest on the side of the road for about 1/2 hour glad I was close to home that I can just chance it an drive it home.... As soon as I got home I had my husband check it he said there wasn't any coolant in the resivor so he bought the antifreez for GM cars its an "Orange" color and filled it up it. I never seen a leak in my driveway for a few weeks then one day I notice a drop of the antifreeze in the drivers frontside below the front bumper/lil spoiler then thats when I mentioned to the dealership when I went in for an oil change, to check for that leak an thats when ther came out with the diagnosis it was a radiator leak an they charge $1400.00!!!! . After that it started to leak a few more drops but not too much that its all over the driveway. And now its the same to this day. I have to keep an eye on the resevor every other day to see if its starts to get way "low" where I cant see the orange antifreeze. Then i refill it up to the line and close the cap!!! But I have the radiator sitting in my living room in the box still waiting for him to start to replace it.... Hey also did you get a recall on the front steering arm needed to be replaced? Check for recalls for your car.... I had to take it in an they replaced it the dealership had my car for atleast 2 months but they gave me a loaner to drive~!! .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good evening,
I think you have the same problem as me? from the very 1st time it acted up was earlier this year in Jan the "Check Engine Light" went on an the car just went out didn't want to start.An I could smell antifreeze. I let it rest on the side of the road for about 1/2 hour glad I was close to home that I can just chance it an drive it home.... As soon as I got home I had my husband check it he said there wasn't any coolant in the resivor so he bought the antifreez for GM cars its an "Orange" color and filled it up it. I never seen a leak in my driveway for a few weeks then one day I notice a drop of the antifreeze in the drivers frontside below the front bumper/lil spoiler then thats when I mentioned to the dealership when I went in for an oil change, to check for that leak an thats when ther came out with the diagnosis it was a radiator leak an they charge $1400.00!!!! . After that it started to leak a few more drops but not too much that its all over the driveway. And now its the same to this day. I have to keep an eye on the resevor every other day to see if its starts to get way "low" where I cant see the orange antifreeze. Then i refill it up to the line and close the cap!!! But I have the radiator sitting in my living room in the box still waiting for him to start to replace it.... Hey also did you get a recall on the front steering arm needed to be replaced? Check for recalls for your car.... I had to take it in an they replaced it the dealership had my car for atleast 2 months but they gave me a loaner to drive~!! .
Good morning from the other side of the earth (I am from Vietnam haha)
I am using the reddish antifreeze - Prestone Dex Cool (also recommended for GM vehicles). In my case, there will be a few visible drops under the front bumper (driver seat's side) when parking after a long distance run (>50 miles). I have some belief in the Chevy mechanic's diagnosis as the leak is quite near the place of water pump and thermostat. Got 1 recall for the air bag replacement only. There has been no issue so far except for this coolant leak. I will check with the dealer about the steering recall.
Keep me posted about the result after you replace the radiator.
Cheers!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good Morning Vietnam!!! Didnt know your over there? wow I thought your in the USA my co worker was vietnamese she was so nice! Anyways my parents are from the Philippines!!! They immiigrated to the US a long time ago 1940's !! Yes I"m using the same product Antifreeze you are I jus read the jug yes its kinda reddish/orangy. What year is your Chevy Trax? Yes look up the model Vin Number and check for recalls I didnt rec an Air Bag Replacement notice an I check periodically with GM they also send me informatin thru there Chevy Customer Linkage on their website. Look up Chevy's website then click on "Owner" then join thats what I did...
Until my husband starts to breakdown the car I will let you know what he finds out but I do drive the car around an its OK as long as I keep an eye out on the reservoir tank and fill it with the coolant when it needs it..The reccall was called "Cracked Control Arm" recall an the service was done in 2019 diagnosis was Lower Control Arms Welds Inspected and found Both Lower Control Arms Failed Inspection. They had to replace borth arms an then do a Front End Alignment. This is what was said on the Invoice at the dealership Diamond Chevrolet, in San Bernardino, CA will be in touch!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,
So we both have SEA origin :))
Mine is 2017 Trax LT made in Korea. I had been driving a Korean made one previously (Hyundai) for 10 years so I was kind of biased when picking up this model. I will check Chevy website for the owner registration.

Have a nice weekend!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,
So we both have SEA origin :))
Mine is 2017 Trax LT made in Korea. I had been driving a Korean made one previously (Hyundai) for 10 years so I was kind of biased when picking up this model. I will check Chevy website for the owner registration.

Have a nice weekend!
You also have a nice weekend!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just has a antifreeze leak taken care of on my 2016 Trax AWD it was an antifreeze leak from the turbo. Replaced turbo coolant feed and return pipe and also drained the coolant and replaced it for $1100

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just has a antifreeze leak taken care of on my 2016 Trax AWD it was an antifreeze leak from the turbo. Replaced turbo coolant feed and return pipe and also drained the coolant and replaced it for $1100
hi I dont have Turbo on my car I took it in to the dealer said it was the radiator leak leaking slowly eventuall will become worse as the time goes by per the dealer

·
Registered
13 Posts
You also have a nice weekend!!!!
Hi!
Would like to update about my coolant leak situation.
I replaced my water pump several days ago. Checking after 50 miles, it seems that the leak has been slowed down significantly but there is still a tiny reduction of coolant level in the reservoir. The shop told me to monitor the situation after 100 - 200 miles more if additional check is needed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi
Wow yes monitor the tank where you pour the antifreeze. The day before yesterday I was refilling the resvoir/tank an I notice underneath in the back of the resevoir on the base right side bottom I seen drops but it wasnt spillage when I was refilling the resevoir? Maybe the resevoir is leaking?? But I checked several weeks an it wasnt? An that day it was?? well today I checked to see the line where you fill the antrifreeze up to its lower again? my husband hasnt started to work on it yet?? And now we are start of Summer 2021 and the new week the heat here in So CA will increase to HOT?? so I D K when he will start to take it apart???? Hopefully soon?? But I want to check to see if its the resevoir first?? I will drive it around on errands come home an see the resevoir if its leaking in the back at the bottom??? Hopefully it is only because its going to be hard work to take the whole front end off just to get to the radiator area.!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi
Wow yes monitor the tank where you pour the antifreeze. The day before yesterday I was refilling the resvoir/tank an I notice underneath in the back of the resevoir on the base right side bottom I seen drops but it wasnt spillage when I was refilling the resevoir? Maybe the resevoir is leaking?? But I checked several weeks an it wasnt? An that day it was?? well today I checked to see the line where you fill the antrifreeze up to its lower again? my husband hasnt started to work on it yet?? And now we are start of Summer 2021 and the new week the heat here in So CA will increase to HOT?? so I D K when he will start to take it apart???? Hopefully soon?? But I want to check to see if its the resevoir first?? I will drive it around on errands come home an see the resevoir if its leaking in the back at the bottom??? Hopefully it is only because its going to be hard work to take the whole front end off just to get to the radiator area.!!!!
Yeah. It took around 4 hours of labor for the mechanic to replace the water pump. Some of the bolts are in a very tricky positions. I think radiator replacement should be a headace as well?
I need to solve this issue once and for all as I hate having to check the coolant level every time I ride.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah. It took around 4 hours of labor for the mechanic to replace the water pump. Some of the bolts are in a very tricky positions. I think radiator replacement should be a headace as well?
I need to solve this issue once and for all as I hate having to check the coolant level every time I ride.
Yes I understand its a headache to check every other day an to think when your doing an errand will the water come out gushing an then your stuck somewhere??? Oh well is has to be fixed I was going to just have the dealer do it I know it will be expensive but I know the work is guaranteed an they know what there doing.... an I will have a sense of assurance that its done correctly thru them??? 1400.00 is a bit too much!! but will see,,,,
Good luck!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes I understand its a headache to check every other day an to think when your doing an errand will the water come out gushing an then your stuck somewhere??? Oh well is has to be fixed I was going to just have the dealer do it I know it will be expensive but I know the work is guaranteed an they know what there doing.... an I will have a sense of assurance that its done correctly thru them??? 1400.00 is a bit too much!! but will see,,,,
Good luck!!
Ha ha. For my case, It costs only $30 for the labor and $40 for the water pump (China made) - I have another $150 water pump (Korea made and shipped from the US) on delivery to save for future use.
I still carry a $10 coolant can in the trunk just in case.
Its so cheap compared to the US 😅

1 - 20 of 32 Posts