Chevy Trax Forum banner

Antfreez Leak on Driverside 2018 Chevy Trax AWD

13K views 37 replies 7 participants last post by  Semperfimom90 
#1 ·
I have an antifreeze Leak in my 2018 Chevy Trax AWD the leak is on the driverside below the front bumper, leak is not bad but its leaking but I need to get it repaired I keep refilling the resevoir up every few days or when I see its low I refill the resevoir up to the recomended line I opened up the hood to try to see where its coming from an the engine area is so compact it is hard to actually detect where the leak is from? Does anyone out there have this same problem before. My mileage is at 59,000 already...

#3 ·
Presure Cap? You mean the the screw cap on top of the Resevoir?? where I pour in the Antifreez? the black cap?? I thought of that so I cleaned around the resevoir just in case an no its completly always clean free from the color orange antifreeze no leaking? I'm just gonna have to take it in... UGGHHHH!!! these cars dont last too long an its funny how after a certain mileage is up thats covered thru warranty the car starts to break down I my next new car I'm not buying a USA made car after this. All my cars before hand were imported not one problem after the warranty past.

#4 ·
Yes, that’s it. I’m not certain this functions the same, but on older vehicles the pressure cap is on the radiator itself and there’s a separate unsealed reservoir. The spring in the cap is basically a thermostat that opens and closes as the coolant heats and cools. When it gets hot, instead of blowing a hose, it releases some pressure and coolant into the reservoir, sometimes expelling overflow onto the ground via a overflow hose or tube. When it cools, it draws coolant from the reservoir into the radiator. On those older systems, a fatigued cap spring will affect how and when the coolant flows. If out of warranty, a new cap is a cheap, easy fix to try before taking it in for service. The fluid is supposed to be good for 150,000 miles, but springs in the caps can wear out long before that.

#5 ·
Oh I c what you mean!! I will check, the only time I see fluid leak is after I drive and do errands an park it in my driveway at home there is a small leak of orange anitfreeze on the ground not to much but enough that i have to check the resevor daily just to make sure the resevor isn't empty.... if the antifreeze goes lower almost to the bottom cannister an I cant see any Afreeze just a smidge at the bottom I then refill it to the line on the resivor right now about an hour ago I drove it out of my driveway an parked the SUV in front an I went to check to see if it leaked there? It did a few drops maybe 1-5 drops I just moved it to a different part of my Driveway??

#7 ·
My 2017 Trax LT has the same issue. Leaking below the front bumper. A quick check shows that it might come from the water pump and thermostat. I would like to know more about your case before ordering the parts.

Thank you,
My 2017 Trax LT has the same issue. Leaking below the front bumper. A quick check shows that it might come from the water pump and thermostat. I would like to know more about your case before ordering the parts.

Thank you,
Hi I just read your reply; I went for an oil change a few months ago an I asked the service tech to have the leak checked? his diagnosis, was that the radiator had a small leak in it an eventually in time it would become worse the tech also said just keep an eye on the resevor an an always have it filled. That says its not a water pump or thermostate leak or the car would always over heat after its been refilled an the check engine light would come on? He said to have it fixed as soon as you can I asked him how much will you charge me? He said $1,400.00 Dealer Price!!!!!!! to fix it since the warrant already expired like the car knows the warranty expired its starts little by little to break down?? LOLOL My husband knows how to fix cars we ordered the new radiator thru Amazon, now its just a matter of days or weeks for him to take the car apart?? LOLOL I will let you know future outcome... But I think it wouldnt be the water pump or the thermostate or the car would over heat alot an its not doing that, I still am driving it to do errands an stuff but I'm watching the resevor so the antifreeze doesnt go low!! Thanks for your reply!! I'm out here in So Cal in the Inland Empire 1 hour away from Los Angeles an its gets hot over here!! You know this is my 1st American Car an I'm not really happy?? I've always had Imports after I pay this car off in few more months I'm going back to Imports had better luck.... An my car is only 3 years old??? May 2018 is when I bought it new....

#11 ·
Good Morning Vietnam!!! Didnt know your over there? wow I thought your in the USA my co worker was vietnamese she was so nice! Anyways my parents are from the Philippines!!! They immiigrated to the US a long time ago 1940's !! Yes I"m using the same product Antifreeze you are I jus read the jug yes its kinda reddish/orangy. What year is your Chevy Trax? Yes look up the model Vin Number and check for recalls I didnt rec an Air Bag Replacement notice an I check periodically with GM they also send me informatin thru there Chevy Customer Linkage on their website. Look up Chevy's website then click on "Owner" then join thats what I did...
Until my husband starts to breakdown the car I will let you know what he finds out but I do drive the car around an its OK as long as I keep an eye out on the reservoir tank and fill it with the coolant when it needs it..The reccall was called "Cracked Control Arm" recall an the service was done in 2019 diagnosis was Lower Control Arms Welds Inspected and found Both Lower Control Arms Failed Inspection. They had to replace borth arms an then do a Front End Alignment. This is what was said on the Invoice at the dealership Diamond Chevrolet, in San Bernardino, CA will be in touch!!

#12 ·
Hi,
So we both have SEA origin :))
Mine is 2017 Trax LT made in Korea. I had been driving a Korean made one previously (Hyundai) for 10 years so I was kind of biased when picking up this model. I will check Chevy website for the owner registration.

Have a nice weekend!

#17 ·
Hi
Wow yes monitor the tank where you pour the antifreeze. The day before yesterday I was refilling the resvoir/tank an I notice underneath in the back of the resevoir on the base right side bottom I seen drops but it wasnt spillage when I was refilling the resevoir? Maybe the resevoir is leaking?? But I checked several weeks an it wasnt? An that day it was?? well today I checked to see the line where you fill the antrifreeze up to its lower again? my husband hasnt started to work on it yet?? And now we are start of Summer 2021 and the new week the heat here in So CA will increase to HOT?? so I D K when he will start to take it apart???? Hopefully soon?? But I want to check to see if its the resevoir first?? I will drive it around on errands come home an see the resevoir if its leaking in the back at the bottom??? Hopefully it is only because its going to be hard work to take the whole front end off just to get to the radiator area.!!!!

#18 ·
Hi
Wow yes monitor the tank where you pour the antifreeze. The day before yesterday I was refilling the resvoir/tank an I notice underneath in the back of the resevoir on the base right side bottom I seen drops but it wasnt spillage when I was refilling the resevoir? Maybe the resevoir is leaking?? But I checked several weeks an it wasnt? An that day it was?? well today I checked to see the line where you fill the antrifreeze up to its lower again? my husband hasnt started to work on it yet?? And now we are start of Summer 2021 and the new week the heat here in So CA will increase to HOT?? so I D K when he will start to take it apart???? Hopefully soon?? But I want to check to see if its the resevoir first?? I will drive it around on errands come home an see the resevoir if its leaking in the back at the bottom??? Hopefully it is only because its going to be hard work to take the whole front end off just to get to the radiator area.!!!!
Yeah. It took around 4 hours of labor for the mechanic to replace the water pump. Some of the bolts are in a very tricky positions. I think radiator replacement should be a headace as well?
I need to solve this issue once and for all as I hate having to check the coolant level every time I ride.

#22 ·
But if I go to a private repair shop an not the dearlership, I have to trust that they will do a good job but it will be less expensive maybe 700-800 dollars who knows???? I never brought a car to a private repair mechanic over where I live??? this is the 1st time I ever had this problem with a car I own???

#24 ·
Wow $35,000.00 over there?? thats alot, Mine I bought new 2018 it was I think $ 23,000.00 AWD LT at Rotolo Chev in Fontana, CA Cheapest in I think $19,000.00 you have internet go on "Rotolo Chev" website and look at the new ones an the used ones an you will see the prices over here in the states.....

#25 ·
Okay. The car price is crazy here. Honda accord costs around $60K, Ford focus costs $45K, Jeep Wrangler (imported by private companies) is listed at $150K. No need to mention the luxury and super cars haha. Generally, the price is double/ triple compared to the US's same model due to tax.

#26 ·
WOWOWOWOW!!!! I plan paying my Trax off in a few more months an use it for work an run errands, I either plan to purchase a Mercedes Benz thru my friends husband who works for MB of Beverly Hills, CA or a Range Rover Discovery, they wont be new 2021's once you drive it off the lot it depreciates a few $$$$$ I want a 2020 year since we are now in a new decade 2020's the ones going for here 2019, 2018, 2017 are for $27,000.00 depends upon the mileage? My last an final car that I plan on purchasing is one of the above thats outrageous on how much cars are selling over seas you can buy a new BMW for 45K here an thats a 2021, 150K you can buy a Porche brand new!!! 60K you can buy a nice new Mercedes Benz AMG Top of the line!!! ...... Go on the manufacturer's website Mercedes Benz, BMW & Porche an browse an you will see their prices in the US...an not forget Audi!! 150K here also you can purchase a Rolls Royce, "BENTLEY"!!! OMG LOLOLOLOL

#27 ·
A top line AMG Benz (S400) here is listed at $350K, same price for Porsche (Panamera). Bentley or Roll Royce new model is around $1 million. Yeah, $1 million US Dollars. Interest rate for car loan is 7-9% so its not a good option haha. Overall, the living expense in Vietnam is very cheap if you avoid spending on something luxury like cars (Chevy cruze or Honda civic still counted as luxury lol). I heard that CA is expensive, my mom's classmate is living in Boston which is also expensive rite?
Anyway, my Trax is good enough for me lol. No issue except for this coolant leak which is not really affecting driving experience so far.

#28 ·
WOW the luxury cars over there are expensive!!! there like double over there than here!! Yes Cal is expensive to live like in San Francisco area an Los Angeles area both expensive the more closer you live to the city it is expensive but more crowded the further away in certain area it is also expensive... I'm assuming Boston, Mass is expensive certain areas... I never been there on the East Coast I been always living in California all my life.

#30 ·
Hello an good morning Yes Ca has great weather here up an down the coast its now going to be hot here mostly all week something that is unusual at this time of the year in June? But it will start to get cooler by the next weekend. your GF studied over at Bucknell Uni in Penn State is she back in Vietnam now an working her career. Yes there are alot of Vietnamese Immigrants here in the state. I met a few already. There are alot of Pho Rest here in the states I go with my work mates to eat Pho!! Very Good an good for you!!!

#32 ·
Love Pho!!! its good!!! Oh yes 9 years back!! Trax not that much, Honda Accord Toy Camary, BMW, Lexus Chev Silverado, there are so many cars here but mostly Imports are the most ones everyone drives!!! Range Rover Discovery it just depends where you go here in Southern CA....... Beverly Hills, Westwood, Brentwood Hollywood Hills you will see alot of expensive cars over there due to the Movie & TV Stars who live over there..... Its different all over the place here!! there are also Lowriders too

#33 ·
At West Herr Chevy, in my area, they want almost $2000 to replace TWO Turbocharge coolant lines, which costs about $50 each and claim it's a six hour job. Plus, they are including labor, taxes, etc. This is in NYS. If this is the issue you are experiencing....find someone who will fix it for cheaper! I would do that anyway.

#34 ·
I have a 2016 LT 54000 miles. Just had to replace the water pump and I also am having the exact same issues with a small leak on drivers side. Salt Lake Valley Chev told me it is a small crack in radiator. Want 1400 to fix. Problem is I’m not paying it and also a radiator could not be found in the state of Utah. They supposedly Special Ordered one it’s been two months. They are on back order. I just check my antifreeze every few days and add a small amount. Used to love this car. Not anymore at this low of mileage I should not have to be replacing major components. This is the third Chevy and the last Chevy I will own. Used to swear by them. I’m done!

#37 · (Edited)
Yes. It worked great for my small leak. Mine was leaking at the fitting under the turbo. Saved about 5 or 6 hours of labor not to mention liters and liters of coolant. It hasn't leaked in over a year now. I know it just a band aid and not the cure, but if it will hold until it needs major surgery I will take it.

#38 ·
Thank you sir I will try them! I have a Trax that is a beautiful color, has the sun and sport package so i have a sunroof and a fabulous bose sound system. I bought it new to have a car I could rely on.....I have low miles and just really was angry and disappointed to have the water pump and radiator go at the same time. I am literally just barely out of warranty OF COURSE lol. Just shocked it happened at 54000 miles. I hade an 07 Impala I ran into the ground. I am diligent about service and am very easy on my vehicle. . The dealer said they found the radiator leak when they pressure tested it. I was losing a ton of antifreeze from the middle of the passenger side around the passenger seat. When the dealer called me and said they pressure tested it they only found a small crack/leak on the drivers side in the radiator. I called the service manager back and told him to check it again because i was not losing coolant out the front. He had the tech check again and he found the water pump issue. They could not find a radiator here in Utah so I had them fix the water pump and that was 2 months ago. To this day I have to put a small amount of coolant in every 4-5 days but there is never a drop/trace on my driveway or in my garage. It is leaking and burning off somewhere. I dont trust what the dealer said since I had to point out the water pump. I am no mechanic. I am buying tablets on my way home.
Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.