Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2016 Trax about a month ago and the passenger sensing system ( airbag sensor) turns off while passenger is still in the seat.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Obviously an issue to be looked at sooner than later. Only reason it might shut off is if passenger in seat does not weigh enough to safely allow air bag deployment.

·
Registered
772 Posts
This is part of the new air bag system, if there is no weight on the passengers seat the air bag for that side will not deploy.

In the even that you hit something, with only yourself in the car only the driver side air bags will deploy, what this does is cost less if the car should be able to be repaired.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am sorry, I didn't properly explaine the whole situation. I know how the passenger sensing system is supposed to work and the dealership has confirmed that the sensor in the passenger seat is defective. The car has been at the dealership for almost 3 weeks. I received a call yesterday from the dealership because they said the part has been hard to find because it is a wide spread problem among the 2016 Chevy Trax. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem with their Trax because they said the problem was wide spread.

·
Registered
210 Posts
WOW
You had the car for a month and it has spent 3 weeks in the shop. I would tell them they owe you a months car payment.

Do you specifically know what the failed part is?

I once had a safety related issue on a new style GM car that needed a part that was not in the parts pipeline yet. It was the turn signal switch had broken internally. It was right about that time I got the call from GM to see how I liked my new car after owning it for a month. I explained the problem and got a call from the dealer a few minutes later saying that they were ordered by GM to come and pick up my car with a flatbed, and that same flatbed would deliver a loaner, and they were to cannibalize a new car on the lot to get the part I needed. They should never have let me drive home with no turn signals.

·
Registered
184 Posts
That is extremely odd and unsafe. Passenger airbag turning off whilst the passenger is STILL in the seat. 3 weeks seems like a real long time for them to figure that out though. It would be nice if they could let you know what the heck the part was as well. Hopefully this isn't a common issue otherwise I could definitely see a recall coming for that

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi there, I know this is an old issue but i just had the same problem as tumntumn. I brought the car to the dealer explaining I had this issue with the on and off sign on the passenger airbag from time to time, but the guy first told me the passenger maybe didn't seat right in the seat. I still insisted to have it checked. The car isn't under the warranty anymore but the problem was when it was still under warranty. I didn't get to it because it wasn't all the time and i thought it was maybe just an issue with the light.
In the end it end up being a sensor failing issue under the seat, which isn't part of any recalls as of today so they say. So the cost comes up to $700. Does anyone had the same problem recently? Or if so does it go under the original recall for the sdm airbag frontal sencor. Or any advice. I had to pay for the cost. Shall i file a complaint at the NHTSA with a chance it will become a recall? I drove like this for over a year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts