Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me some insight on doing a auto trans service? Looked for a fill port and could only find this black round cylinder with nut looking top on the right side. Thought maybe that was the refill location. how about checking the level after service, im assuming there is a check plug. Also is there a drain bolt? Havent been able to get it on the lift yet, should be able to one weekend soon but would like as much info before i get into it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Can't say I have seen a transmission dip stick. I assumed it was a sealed reservoir , and only needing changing at a specific mileage ?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Someone posted the procedure to check the fluid they used the same transmission as the Cruz, it is quite involved, it requires warming the trans to a certain temp then removing a plug that is suppose to drip a few drops to let you know its full, all this is done on a level surface.

Just under the air radiator hose on the right side looking under the hood you will see a red cap, that is the fill port.
Under the vehicle and facing the passenger side you will see the drain plug, Its only about 10mm in size.
The drip hole is located facing the front of the vehicle you have to really look hard to see it

My advice would be when you drain the trans just put back the same amount of fluid, its way easier than the checking procedure, if your hard on the car, drain the fluid every so often putting back the amount you drained.

The days of removing pans and changing transmission filters are gone, if you want to keep the fluid fresh you are going to have to drain and refill method to keep it that way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rich thanks for the link. yea i figured it had a check plug. which makes checking fluid level a little more difficult since you cant check the fluid by raising the front end. it has to be on a lift or jacked up evenly on all fours. but i will just put back what comes out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well nevermind just looked into it more and apparently the check plug is accessible while vehicle is on ground. Maybe behing the splash guard inside the wheel well?

·
Registered
772 Posts
I do remember looking for the plugs I found them all they were small about 10mm.

I tried to make a dip stick for my Trax, but no fluid is visible when you take off the top fill plug cover, even when the transmission was hot.

I also stuck a small long screwdriver in the hole still got noting on the driver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts