Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thank you in advance for any help,
I have a 2017 Trax LT. 2 days ago when I got in my car the blower would not turn on at any speed. This happened 1 time before but when the car warmed up it turned on and started working, this was not the case this time. I have removed the Blower Motor Resistor and see no signs of damage or wear. There was some white residue buildup on the pins of the resistor and I have cleaned those contacts. On the pigtail for the resistor there was signs of arching on Pin C and appears to be a little on Pin D. I tried using a tiny screw driver to clean up the contact a little. I plug the resistor back in and there is still no blower response. Is it the resistor, pigtail, or motor? I again thank you for any response and help.

·
Administrator
2,444 Posts
Fuse maybe, did you remove the cabin air filter and try to spin the motor to see if it was free?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuse maybe, did you remove the cabin air filter and try to spin the motor to see if it was free?
I cant reach inside to see if it spins free. Do you by chance have a list of the fuses associated with the blower motor?

·
Administrator
2,444 Posts
Should be in the owners manual. In the underhood fuse block 40A.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay so I replaced the resistor. I tested using a probe tester and all fuses are okay. Still not working. Unplugged the wire from the blower motor, turned car on, set fan to 0, and probed the 2 pins. One of them do light up making me believe I may be losing ground somewhere. Does this sound feasible to anyone else?

·
Administrator
2,444 Posts
Check continuity to ground on pin 1.

Rectangle Product Slope Font Parallel

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I did some additional testing for power and ground again. On the pigtail with the testing light grounded the center brown wire does have power, this is also the one that is arched / burnt. I also get a light on the 2 pin connector that connects to the blower motor. When I connect the tester to my battery so i can check for ground I check the pigtail and get a light on the pin directly next to power wire. Then I checked what would be the ground on the wire that plugs into the motor blower and get nothing. I tested with and without the resistor plugged in. So from what im understanding I am getting ground at the pigtail but not where it runs off into the blower motor, so i can safely deduce its the pigtail right?

·
Administrator
2,444 Posts
Do you have an ohm meter? Check for continuity between pin 1 of the motor connector and pin C of the resistor network connector.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I connected the ohm meter to pin 1 and pin c (which is the burnt one) and there is zero resistance.

·
Administrator
2,444 Posts
If you have no continuity between pin 1 of blower connector and pin C of resistor network pin 1, there's your problem, broken or burnt wire. There shouldn't be any if the resistor network is unplugged, unless you meant at the network itself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is no resistance between pin c on the resistor connector and pin 1 on the blower motor connector so there is a connection. But when I check pin c to pin d on the resistor connector there is no connection. According to the wiring diagram you posted those 2 should always be connected right? I also went into the back of the connector at pin d and the front on the connector at pin d and don’t get a connection unless I move the connectors around at a hard angle and even then it’s only a momentary connection. This lead me to assume the connection between c and d is dead at d itself.

·
Administrator
2,444 Posts
Depends on your abilities, myself I would just change the bad wire if you can find new pins for those connectors. If not you'll need a new harness yes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To clarify I also connected the resistor (brand new) and put the ohm meter pins into the back of C and D and got no connection either

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you so much for your help. Pretty sure the connection is bad in the connector based off everything you had me do and what I’ve done. We are going to get a new connector, cut out the old resistor connector, and solder in the new one.

·
Administrator
2,444 Posts
Most connectors you can pull the pins out. Wire color should be WH/BLK

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The wire colors on mine don’t match any of the schematics I’ve seen :LOL: the connector thats on there is melted pretty good at connection c so I would be more comfortable to replacing the connector itself to try and prevent any future problems.

·
Administrator
2,444 Posts
Good point.

·
Administrator
2,444 Posts
Sure looks like it

1 - 20 of 29 Posts