Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I admit I live in a cold climate. I plug the engine heater in and remote start at -20°C. The first little while the exhaust smells really bad. Oily, gassy.It is a 2020 year model with 24,800K. Any bbody have a similar eperience? We bought it 4 months ago from a dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok I admit I live in a cold climate. I plug the engine heater in and remote start at -20°C. The first little while the exhaust smells really bad. Oily, gassy.It is a 2020 year model with 24,800K. Any bbody have a similar eperience? We bought it 4 months ago from a dealer.
I live in Minnesota and I have the same problem and when I did take my car into the dealership they said they couldn't find anything wrong and I asked them is it normal for the inside of my cabin to smell like exhaust and they told me that it was normal. Well last night I started my car using the auto start and I could hear my car sputter so I quick threw on my coat so I can see what was going on and I noticed that inside my cabin it was filled with white exhaust fumes and bluish white fumes coming out of my exhaust pipe this isn't normal as it was explained to me . This happens whenever the temperature drops .I did purchase an extended warranty .

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live in Minnesota and I have the same problem and when I did take my car into the dealership they said they couldn't find anything wrong and I asked them is it normal for the inside of my cabin to smell like exhaust and they told me that it was normal. Well last night I started my car using the auto start and I could hear my car sputter so I quick threw on my coat so I can see what was going on and I noticed that inside my cabin it was filled with white exhaust fumes and bluish white fumes coming out of my exhaust pipe this isn't normal as it was explained to me . This happens whenever the temperature drops .I did purchase an extended warranty .
Our temp has been -35°C = -25°F
Getting the same run around from the dealer. Also have extended warranty. The Trashy Trax needed 2 tows from Roadside Assistance. The last time I was on the highway running 105 K/H on cruse when the
power shut down. Then cruse attempted to regain power. The dealership says many turbos are freezing up. They replaced the frozen part and installed a winter front. We picked it up tuesday after it had stayed out all night at -40°C&F. It started but there was a lot of exhaust.

·
Registered
Trax 2019 LT AWD
18 Posts
I also am located in Minnesota fortunately I am not having issues with my 2019 LT AWD Trax (low miles at this time for different reasons). I myself would be concerned with any exhaust smell or flumes in the car. I most likely would open my windows a given amount while driving no matter the temperature outside and if needed contact Chevy this does not sound correct to me given how dangerous car exhaust can be. I have no smell of exhaust or flumes in my Trax how can that be normal.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dealership had my Trax for 2 weeks. The dealership is in a neighboring town 30K away. I drove it home, then a short trip maybe 6 blocks and back another 30K to the neighboring town. Then as we drove past the dealership at 5:03 minutes after closing the dreaded Engine light
came on. And so it continues.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dealership has the Trax again. Their scan revealed a replacement of the charge air cooler. The part will take awhile to arrive. Renamed the vehicle the Chevy Trash Can.

·
Administrator
2,704 Posts
Maybe left over from before the repair, take it out for a good run and see. That stuff could have been laying inside the muffler.

·
Administrator
2,704 Posts
Looks like you are still sucking oil from the valve cover. Is the intercooler cracked or something else?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The place I bought the Trax has offered 25K.They say it is exactly what I paid, but they are not adding what I pd for extended warranty or the rims and winter tires. And then there is tax.

·
Administrator
2,704 Posts
If they give you your money back they will give you your taxes back too. But the rest I don't know.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Traxy,
If you live near Magnetic Hill then you have had quite the winter snow season. We moved from Dieppe in July when we sold the house and the 16 year old Audi A4. We were there 4 years and moved to small town Saskatchewan. What is the GM Canada contact info to send a letter to.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally We got the Trax back. On the 35th day at the dealership included 2 visits.
The part- the Charge Air Cooler took awhile to get in.
Yesterday it drove okay. The warmer outdoor temp helps too.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts