Chevy Trax Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
2,596 Posts
Always nice, just get a cheap bluetooth elm 327 OBDII and the free Torque APP.

·
Administrator
2,596 Posts
Yes, my friend has a Cruze that's had the light on for years, he just neglects to get the HO² changed. B ut if it goes into limp mode then it's a different ball game.

·
Administrator
2,596 Posts
You'll know when it happens, limp mode puts your engine in reduced power so it doesn't grenade itself. As you know your Trax doesn't have a lot of power to begin with so when it falls into limp mode you'll be lucky to reach 40 km/h. Only certain codes will do this like multiple misfires or lost of boost, your Trax will also lose stabilitrak and Traction control when this happens.

·
Administrator
2,596 Posts
What's the code? Just clear the code and wait and see if it comes back.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So far I have not found the elm 327 OBDII
The dealer will replace the catalytic converter. I have both factory warranty and extended warranty, however they replaced the charge air cooler and the Trax still smokes.

·
Administrator
2,596 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
The amount of exhaust when cold is excessive. And Black oily crap is deposited right under the tailpipe. View attachment 4365 View attachment 4366
I have the same problem with mine Trax, it happens to me when up to 1000 rpm, but when I turn it off and on again it calms down to 900 rpm and everything is normal.
Im from Macedonia and have 2013 year 1.7 diesel trax and my code is P0171 and P0173 (Fuel temp sensor a circuit high input)
and I still have to change only that and to see if it works out. If you solve the problem pls write me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Something is making the valve stick and the vacuum is suck oil which may cause oil combustion.
So is your diezel turbocharged?
Greece should not have the same -30°C winter temperatures, that run havoc with the turbo and PCV valve. I see you do get temperatures around freezing and that may be enough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I experienced something similar on December 26, 2021, the cabin got completely filled with fumes. 2021 Trax with only 2,600 KM, bought new las May. The dealership does not have a clue, say there is nothing wrong with the vehicle.
I live in Minnesota and I have the same problem and when I did take my car into the dealership they said they couldn't find anything wrong and I asked them is it normal for the inside of my cabin to smell like exhaust and they told me that it was normal. Well last night I started my car using the auto start and I could hear my car sputter so I quick threw on my coat so I can see what was going on and I noticed that inside my cabin it was filled with white exhaust fumes and bluish white fumes coming out of my exhaust pipe this isn't normal as it was explained to me . This happens whenever the temperature drops .I did purchase an extended warranty .

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Soon after the engine light came on. Replaced the Charge Air Cooler and the Catalytic Converter. Then the low oil pressure warning flashed. Checked the oil level and it was not even registering. Added 2 1/2 liters. Took it back to the dealership.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for the information. Specially about the oil. I never got a low oil warning light, and I never checked the oil level, but I got the notice to get the vehicle serviced as the oil life was down to 10 % shortly after the incident when the cabin got filled with fumes. It did not hit me at the time that it was unusual at only 2,600 Km (synthetic motor oil is supposed to last a lot longer). When I got the vehicle serviced, they never mentioned whether the oil was low nor that it was unusual to require servicing at such a low mileage. They changed the cabin air filter stating that it was “dirty” (probably from all the fumes that got through it…). Again, they never said that it was unusual with such a low mileage. On all my present and previously owned vehicles the cabin air filters lasted for ages.

After reading your reply I checked my Trax, and the oil life is down to 74 % after only 3 months and 400 Km... Definitely not normal. I will check the oil level tomorrow.

Booking and appointment with a different GM Dealership as the one that sold me the car seems to be clueless…

While checking the vehicle after the fumes incident I noticed that when the blower was on full speed (either on heat or on AC) a fair amount or air was blowing through the firewall into the engine compartment from the area of the seal around the heater core hoses and the evaporator pipes. I have never seen any other vehicle do that (I have been driving for over 48 years). A local mechanic as well as online research said that it is not normal. After some debating, the dealership agreed that it was not normal. They took the vehicle in for 2 days to replace HVAC seals. They returned the vehicle to me with air still blowing through the firewall. They said that they would check further into it and check other Trax to see if they also do that. I also called GM Customer Service and asked them if it was normal. For 3 months, the Dealership and GM Customer Service never got back to me. I phoned GM Customer Service back, they would not tell me whether it is normal or not, they told me to go back to the Dealership to get a diagnostic at my own expense (the vehicle is new, with extended warranty as well as “Total Plus” and “Enhanced Care” Protection Plans. The Dealership told me to go somewhere else to get a second opinion…

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
You have had some oil issues! I agree, You should get more KM's on an oil change.
I had mine serviced Nov 8. It has gone approx 5200 KM and is down to 52 percent. I see you are in Canada and most likely French heritage. Where in Canada? I am in small town Saskatchewan where it does get cold. We don't have many alternatives. The closest dealership is 34 Km away. The next closest is 54 Km and then 160 km.
When we dropped off our Trax yesterday Service guessed it might need a new Turbo. They have replaced another Turbo in one Trax and are waiting for parts on another.
My guess is it might be a Known Issue:
The small non-return valve built into the intake manifold as part of the PCV system routinely becomes dislodged. If replaced with GM’s OEM part it will keep happening. GM supposedly is improving parts. We shall see.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts