Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else here monitors their Turbo boost? I had an 80 km trip last night and reset the boost gauge before I left. Readings after getting home kinda baffled me. I know it's a small turbo but I would have thought it would put out more boost. Maybe condition weren't right but it rarely exceeds .5 of boost and I have no check engine light (yet). Maybe I should try and do a boost leak test...

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think 8lbs is about it. Edit: Not sure if the red/orange markers are max/min values. Edit again: I think 18lbs was the max before the dump valve opened. The 6 cups of coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Under what condition did you get 8psi? Maybe I'm not driving it hard enough. So I must have a plenum leak because most I ever get is .5psi of boost and vacuum well it goes as high as -25.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The first time I used Torque Pro the idle vacuum was not normal. There's a setting somewhere in Torque Pro to get the correct reading, I think it was altitude or a different sensor or something. After I found it, it looked normal on boost and vacuum. The 8psi was on moderately hard acceleration.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay I'll check for possible settings.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That's what it was, being in Canada I set Torque to metric system and it automatically switched from PSI to BAR and HG/in so I changed both back to PSI and now boost reads some more reasonable numbers. Just coming up the hill it read 6.2 PSI of boost. Now it makes sense.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Torque Pro App for Android. I have it installed on my Android radio also on my cell.

You will need an bluetooth OBDII adaptor such as;

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well that's pretty cool. Can you choose the gages you want? I would want oil pressure too. So, since I don't have an android or any useful cellphone it's out for me. But thanks for the info.

MJT

10th post

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes you can choose from a whole list of data, even HO² sensor voltage.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The 8psi was on moderately hard acceleration.
I'm thinking I may have a small boost leak, I've been monitoring it since your post and the most I've seen is 7.1PSI and this was at full throttle going up a hill. I'm going to check the boot at the turbo to make sure the clamp is tight and try it again.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Around -8PSI so not sure what's normal....

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Does the vacuum/boost gauge say "0 psi" with the key on engine off? It still seems to be reading low. Maybe double check idle vacuum with a manual vacuum gauge.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well your gauge is set to read in in/Hg, mine reads in PSI. Mine reads in the -20s if you look at my first post when set to in/Hg.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm running 19.7 at idle with 24k miles on the engine at about 500 ft altitude. It could just be an altitude difference.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
PSI or in/Hg?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts