Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Not as far as I know, though someone did suggest this on the forum:
The only way I can see any modern car wearing more rears, is when the e brake is sticking, that happens because when you use the brake it adjusts the rears, putting more pressure on the pads.
Not sure if that's the cause in your case.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I looked at my pads on my Buick its got 7,000 miles or so on it my pads, front and rears have at least 90% lining left.

If someone that drives your car is a brake rider, (someone who keeps his or her foot on the brake pedal, at the ready to stop at all times) then that would explain no pads at 10K.

I had a customer come in he couldn't figure out why his car needed brakes every few months, then I saw his mom driving, she drove with one foot on the brake at all times.

Now it is possible that one wheel would need pads if that one wheel had a sticky brake caliper, but both wheels no.

It is also possible that the master cylinder is putting pressure on the pads, but it would be very noticeable the brakes would be smoking after a long drive, or in the rain you would notice heavy amounts of steam around the wheel, with the rain water splashing on the rotors.

·
Super Moderator
1,922 Posts
Normal if you deliver mail to rural mail boxes otherwise not.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Brake life has a LOT to do with how you drive.
A coworker was always complaining that he was having to do brakes on his wife's car every 5-10K miles. when she got the new car and he got to have her old car he went over 50K on a set of brakes. He was always ragging on his wife about wearing out brakes, with her having no understanding of how brakes really work she was trying her best to get better brake life. Finally one day he was ill and she had to drive, he noticed that she would go roaring up to a stop and then mash the brakes. In her mind she was trying to save the brakes by using them for less distance.

I get around 100K miles out of a set of brakes. I have had people tell me that my brake lights are out because I will let off the gas as much as a half mile or even more before I know I am going to have to stop or slow down and just let gravity and road friction do the work instead of converting gas into brake dust.

I see a lot of cars in traffic that drive to close and are constantly touching the brake to avoid rear-ending the car they are tailgating, or the ones that the brake lights flash with every bump the cars go over indicating that they are driving with their left foot hovering over the brake pedal. Many that do this will swear up and down that they do not do it.

Even some really good drivers have this same issue. A bunch of years back there was one of the top NASCAR drivers having problems finishing a race with working brakes. The pit crew finally hooked up an idiot light to the brake pedal to let the driver know when he was dragging the brake. Brake life came right back.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2017 Trax and I have about 18,000 miles on it and I think the brakes are worn down as far as I can see looking into the rim with the wheels still on the car. Does the Trax have noise sensors to let you know the brakes are worn because I've noticed some squealing also. I'm getting about 30 mpgs so I don't think the calipars are hanging up. Any ideas. We love the car. Thanks, Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,922 Posts
Yes, these are equipped with squealers, I have 60000Kms ≈( 42000 miles ) brakes are still good.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I so far have gotten 73,000 mile on my factory front pads and am i gonna get a brake job this week. So sound like someone is riding the brake pedal or really stopping hard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts