Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone knows if the Buick and the chevy trax have the same brakes? Any other Chevy model also?

·
Registered
772 Posts
The cars are identical underneath with the exception of tire sizes so I would say the brakes will be the same.

Here are some other cars the same pads fit.

Trax
Volt
Sonic
Cruze
Ats
2011-2015

·
Registered
745 Posts
That will help in getting parts down the road as i'm sure they'll mark parts as being model specific with slight variation but still with some ability to easily work. But then again that's where aftermarket makers of OEM grade parts come in real handy since they don't operate the same way in tagging parts. Some people swear by OE, others just care it fits and if material is good.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The old saying Cadillac Tax is true most of the parts on a Cadillac are the same parts on a Chevy, but they will charge you more for Cadillac parts because they can get away with it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
There are only a few suppliers right now for brakes, I had to send to California for the front and rear brakes and pads from a company called Centric. Rockauto hooked me up. Wagner makes only the fronts and some others only make the rears. The rear disc brakes have the spring loaded parking brake so when changing them you will need the 'cube' their is no top hat design here. The back brake pads are very small so they will probably go before the fronts at least on the AWD versions. Mine on my 13 model did.

On my 2015 I am keeping a sharp eye on them as we only got 60k out them but the fronts were still 40 percent left. This is a switch from the usual fronts needing done and the backs going forever. At least it proves they are working

·
Registered
772 Posts
The only way I can see any modern car wearing more rears, is when the e brake is sticking, that happens because when you use the brake it adjusts the rears, putting more pressure on the pads.

I don't think I ever used the e brake for the year and a half I owned my Trax, unless your parking on a very steep incline you don't need to use the e brake.

Using park in an auto trans is more effective at holding the car in place than any e brake, in a car with a manual trans an e brake is needed, but not with an auto.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The only way I can see any modern car wearing more rears, is when the e brake is sticking, that happens because when you use the brake it adjusts the rears, putting more pressure on the pads.

I don't think I ever used the e brake for the year and a half I owned my Trax, unless your parking on a very steep incline you don't need to use the e brake.

Using park in an auto trans is more effective at holding the car in place than any e brake, in a car with a manual trans an e brake is needed, but not with an auto.
it's is actually a parking brake, not the Americanized term e brake. the parking brake can be used in either a manual or automatic regardless. i prefer to have the vehicle held in park by the brakes along with the park gear pin , rather than just the park gear pin alone... also, using the parking brake regularly keeps the cables from seizing, as what normally happens when the parking brake is never used.

Sent from my ASUS MeMO Pad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
772 Posts
Back when I was a kid it wasn't the E brake it was what it was the Emergency brake, that was its intention to stop you in case of a hydraulic failure.

Every time you use the emergency brake it advances the worm that adjusts the brakes moving the pads closer to the rotor, that is why you see premature pad failure on disc brake cars.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Back when I was a kid it wasn't the E brake it was what it was the Emergency brake, that was its intention to stop you in case of a hydraulic failure.

Every time you use the emergency brake it advances the worm that adjusts the brakes moving the pads closer to the rotor, that is why you see premature pad failure on disc brake cars.
The trax has rear drum brakes.

Sent from my Blackberry Priv using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am not certain but I believe only a few models have drums as mine does. However try to find rear drums or shoes for the Trax is stupid. I have been to 6 auto parts shops and they only list rotors and pads even online at places like rockauto. Kind of weird.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I had the middle model it had discs it must be only the base model or maybe the FWD model that has drums.

My bet would be brake shoes from a Sonic should fit the trax, GM took many parts from other smaller model cars so they wouldn't have to re-engineer new parts.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Our 2014 LT2 has shoues and drums. Never thought I would own a vehicle with them again. Salesman said, due to the light vehicle weight ? Think you are right, spare parts available.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts