Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello….When we run the heater at any speed it smells like it is a burning smell. It is fine with the A/C running. I checked the cabin air filter and it looks fine, but can use a replacement. It is a really bad smell and we are using recirculation and even outside air. Any ideas on what to check? We willend up taking it to the dealer, but want to check here first if anyone has any ideas or tips. Thank you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello….When we run the heate at any speed it smells like it is a burning smell. It is fine with the A/C running. I checked the cabin air filter and it looks fine, but can use a replacement. It is a really bad smell and we are using recirculation and even outside air. Any ideas on what to check? We willend up taking it to the dealer, but want to check here first if anyone has any ideas or tips. Thank you.
I replaced the cabin air filter and it seems, but it still stinks. It seems better when you put the heater on recirculating the smell seems to lighten up a bit, but when recirc is not on it seems to get worse. I have no idea and I am taking into the dealer at the end of the month.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I replaced the cabin air filter and it seems, but it still stinks. It seems better when you put the heater on recirculating the smell seems to lighten up a bit, but when recirc is not on it seems to get worse. I have no idea and I am taking into the dealer at the end of the month.
Not sure how it could happen.......but a dead mouse found its way in there?? The "usual" smell is antifreeze when the heater core springs a leak. I have a Saturn that when washed, has a "moldy" or musty smell come out for a while, after a few days of sitting......?? So water must get into the air system somehow? Hope you find out what it is!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure how it could happen.......but a dead mouse found its way in there?? The "usual" smell is antifreeze when the heater core springs a leak. I have a Saturn that when washed, has a "moldy" or musty smell come out for a while, after a few days of sitting......?? So water must get into the air system somehow? Hope you find out what it is!!
I know for sure it is not a dead animal. It is a burning musty smell and it only comes on when you use the heater. So I am not 100% sure what is going on. We are going to pick the car up tonight so we will see.

·
Administrator
2,769 Posts
Could just be mildew on the heater core. You can buy a spray can to clean that up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Could just be mildew on the heater core. You can buy a spray can to clean that up.
I know the smell hes describing and im 99% sure is a crankshaft seal leak or a leak near there that is getting to the belt and burning. The mildew smell is a totally different, and yea I had buy a spray bomb and run the AC for that. It fixed that smell. I can say right now I put in RIslone rear main leak sealer (100kms ago) and the burning smell is less, I am thinking it might actually fix this after some more kms.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know the smell hes describing and im 99% sure is a crankshaft seal leak or a leak near there that is getting to the belt and burning. The mildew smell is a totally different, and yea I had buy a spray bomb and run the AC for that. It fixed that smell. I can say right now I put in RIslone rear main leak sealer (100kms ago) and the burning smell is less, I am thinking it might actually fix this after some more kms.
I have had mine at the dealer and they could not figure it out. It gets worse as I get closer to the oil change in mileage. It is like a burning smell seems like oil and my Trax only has 34K and going. It is really a bad smell and gives my wife a headache so I am trying to narrow it down. I will let the dealer as soon as I take it to them. They have loaners right now so I am waiting on one of those. Thank you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had mine at the dealer and they could not figure it out. It gets worse as I get closer to the oil change in mileage. It is like a burning smell seems like oil and my Trax only has 34K and going. It is really a bad smell and gives my wife a headache so I am trying to narrow it down. I will let the dealer as soon as I take it to them. They have loaners right now so I am waiting on one of those. Thank you.
Well so an update. After a year and a half of dealing with it finally took it back to the dealer as they finally had a loaner for us. They called us and stated they found a recall on the Cabin Air Filter, which I replaced and told them that, but they also found the oil pan was leaking out oil and getting all over the lower part of the engine, which might explain the burning smell coming from the heater and that is such a relief as our warranty is running out next month. So the crankcase seal was not too far off. The original owner in the first year of ownership put 21,000 miles on it before we got it and it smelled even then. I think this Trax had a rough first year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well so an update. After a year and a half of dealing with it finally took it back to the dealer as they finally had a loaner for us. They called us and stated they found a recall on the Cabin Air Filter, which I replaced and told them that, but they also found the oil pan was leaking out oil and getting all over the lower part of the engine, which might explain the burning smell coming from the heater and that is such a relief as our warranty is running out next month. So the crankcase seal was not too far off. The original owner in the first year of ownership put 21,000 miles on it before we got it and it smelled even then. I think this Trax had a rough first year.
Well I have a 2016 Trax with a bad smell also, its the GF car she did not smell it but I did. I'm a car person and work at a dealership. I'm a little more persistent then most people do to I have a service contract on here car. Long story short (have the Turbo checked). It has both oil and water running in and out of it. Hers has a crack and it was dripping on the cat (you cant see well behind the Cat. New turbo no more smell. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I have a 2016 Trax with a bad smell also, its the GF car she did not smell it but I did. I'm a car person and work at a dealership. I'm a little more persistent then most people do to I have a service contract on here car. Long story short (have the Turbo checked). It has both oil and water running in and out of it. Hers has a crack and it was dripping on the cat (you cant see well behind the Cat. New turbo no more smell. Hope this helps.
Thank you this is a good point as we thought we fixed it, but it is back again and even worse. I noticed it more as the oil change interval gets closer the burning oil smell gets worse and honestly it is not even tolerable anymore. I want it fixed as we have been dealing with it since we bought the car with 21,000 miles on it. It now has 41,000 miles and once you change the oil the smell goes away for a period of time then repeat. I think I will mention it this time to the dealer. We have a service contract on it too.

@Traxy Have you seen or heard anything like this?

Thanks all!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts