Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, i want to buy 225/75 r16 all terrain tires but i want to know if do you think there is a problem, maybe a 225/70 r16 is better but i would like more tire perfil.
The tire in the image is a 215/65 r16 and obviusly is smaller even more the original tire.
I don't want take a lot risk with 225/75 and hit the shock absorbers, so, if you know about this please tell me. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
A 225/75-R16 will bog down that little engine, they will fit but not sure it will look good. It will also throw off your speedometer by over 7% so that when reading 60 mph you'd actually be going 64 mph. It may also be a bit harder on fuel because you'd be staying in lower gears longer. But if all this don't bother you go ahead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A 225/75-R16 will bog down that little engine, they will fit but not sure it will look good. It will also through off your speedometer by over 7% so that when reading 60 mph you'd actually be going 64 mph. It may also be a bit harder on fuel because you'd be staying in lower gears longer. But if all this don't bother you go ahead.

Thank you 👌, i understan now and i don't want that. Do you think is better 225/70 r16? I mean, no much problems about speedometer and fuel?

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
Not sure I understand what you want to do!
The first number is the width of the tire in mm
The second number is the wall height in %
The third is the rim. If rim stays the same and you don' want to offset speedometer, increasing the width by 10% 205 to 225 means you have to reduce the wall by 5 or 10% 70 to 60

So 225/65-16 would give you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No sure I understand what you want to do!
The first number is the width of the tire in mm
The second number is the wall height in %
The third is the rim. If rim stays the same and you don' want to offset speedometer, increasing the width by 10% 205 to 225 means you have to reduce the wall by 5 or 10% 70 to 60

So 225/65-16 would give you
I want to put tires taller because the 205/70r16 tire is so small for me. The trax can be more aggressive with all terrain tires taller 😁. It's just appearance what i'm looking for but without affect other things

·
Super Moderator
2,324 Posts
You cannot go taller without affect speedometer. The height affects diameter which is in direct proportion with registered speed. You could go with 215/70R16 or 225/65R16 and maybe stay in acceptable range.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I run 225/70r16 on mine on both my summer tires and my studded winter tires. It looks great, doesn't rub on anything, and is about as minimal as you can go with the overall change in diameter issues (effect on overall gearing, speedo error, etc).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts