Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2015 Trax earlier this year and as time goes on I'm growing more and more dissatisfied with the MyLink stereo. I want to replace it with something with Android Auto support such as the Pioneer AVH-4100NEX. Is this possible with the Trax or does it rely upon the MyLink stereo to function, since it has all those options for the car's lights and whatnot in the menus built in?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm not exactly sure but it seems like you would be able to switch them. Especially once they introduce it for an upcoming Trax model. Then you could probably take one of those systems and transfer it pretty easily. Don't take my word for it though.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I'm not exactly sure but it seems like you would be able to switch them. Especially once they introduce it for an upcoming Trax model. Then you could probably take one of those systems and transfer it pretty easily. Don't take my word for it though.
With that being said, it could help to inquire about this at the dealership, pick their brains, see what they possibly know about this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went into a car stereo place and they are not aware of any wiring harness available for the Trax. I found this picture of the main wiring plug, however, on Crutchfield:

There's a whole lot of SOMETHING going through there..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
further research has led me to believe that this is GM's 44 pin 29 bit LAN connector.. wiring adapters seem scarce but I've found a few out there. Two specifically for the Trax are PAC RP5-GM41 and PAC RP4-GM41 (no OnStar support). I believe that wiring harnesses that are indicated for the 2013 and up Buick Encore should work as well, for example the Metra 71-2106 (though this doesn't include steering wheel controls or onstar or anything but the basics).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Need to be careful fiddling with modern headunits. They are integral to the vehicles electrical system and its possible you can actually void your warranty because the thing is wired in so tight. See Automakers and DMCA

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm in Canada rather than the US so I'm not too worried about the DMCA. :) And even if I was, I'd be more worried about it if I was modifying something that matters like the ECU.

The PAC RP5-GM41 kit that I picked up does include the proper harness equipment (and maintains steering wheel controls and OnStar support) so there won't be any splicing required. I will have to solder about 20 wires or so but if I need to take my Trax in for service, I can return it to stock in about five minutes by unplugging everything.

I need to get the firmware updated on this RP5-GM41 as they only added Trax support to it a few months ago - I'll post pictures and instructions when the time comes to actually install it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm in Canada rather than the US so I'm not too worried about the DMCA. :) And even if I was, I'd be more worried about it if I was modifying something that matters like the ECU.

The PAC RP5-GM41 kit that I picked up does include the proper harness equipment (and maintains steering wheel controls and OnStar support) so there won't be any splicing required. I will have to solder about 20 wires or so but if I need to take my Trax in for service, I can return it to stock in about five minutes by unplugging everything.

I need to get the firmware updated on this RP5-GM41 as they only added Trax support to it a few months ago - I'll post pictures and instructions when the time comes to actually install it.
yea you're not fiddlign with the ECU, but you're fiddling with something directly chained to the ECU. Agreed with some of the others that you need to be careful. Any sort of software fault and they find you've added extra wiring (even if disconnected) and they won't honour warranty.

BUT, to each their own

·
Registered
193 Posts
As long as it looks stock to them that's all that matters and if you can do that, more power to you. I'm not nearly as mechanically inclined so its not something i'd do

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brief update.. everything is installed and working great, though I had to make my own custom adapter for the backup camera as there is no solution currently available for it in the market.. ended up adding two pins to the PAC RP5-GM41 and feeding them to an RCA end to plug into the head unit that I purchased. OnStar (including diagnostics), steering wheel controls, etc all work great. The only problem is that I haven't figured out how to tuck it all into the dash as the compartment is on the small side.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No real pictures yet, it's still not finalized.. have been busy lately. But should be in the next day or two.

In the meantime, here's a picture of the pins that I added to the adapter:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So here it is, done messing around with it.

It sticks out a little bit but there's really not much room for the deck to sit in. With all the extra wiring and the antenna adapter, getting it in this close was a tight squeeze.

But it works!

I added a Chromecast but I have yet to set it up. This will allow me to wirelessly send my phone's screen to the 4100NEX head unit.

Android Auto works great! GPS, Google Play Music, Google Now, etc. works well. Much better than MyLink.

The phone plugs into the standard USB jack in this compartment on the driver's side. There is an adapter to convert the mini-usb type-B USB plug to standard size type-A USB plugged into USB port number 2 on the deck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Here's a list of what I used..

Stereo: Pioneer AVH-4100NEX
Wiring harness: PAC RP5-GM41 (must be on firmware version 1.5.6.6 or newer to work!)
Dash kit: You need to replace the plastic trim around the stereo due to the fact that the MyLink stereo has a rounded bottom in addition to the standard Double DIN dimensions.. this is the one that I ordered: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...Frame-Kit-Cover-Radio-Stereo/32331752959.html

I also used a USB 2.0 A Male to Mini 5 pin (B5) Female Adapter to attach the factory USB cable to the deck.

Note that the PAC RP5-GM41 kit does NOT include rear backup camera support! I had to make my own adapter by taking an RCA cable, attaching long pins to each wire, and stick them into the RP5-GM41 in the right positions (+ is pin 6, - is pin 7). This is shown in my previous post here: http://www.traxforum.com/forum/409-...can-we-replace-mylink-stereo-2.html#post24737 This could (perhaps should) have been spliced into the factory wiring but I did not want to modify any of the factory wiring. This kit also replaces the stereo turn signal clicker/door chime with a separate device that plugs in.

As a result, I have full functionality and no splicing was required. :) Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the tip about the reverse camera goalcam

I replaced mine with a unit designed for the Trax from Aliexpress

It's ok but the reverse camera didn't work but thanks to you I wired it up correctly. Also I don't get any sounds from the reverse sensor or any noise when I'm using the indicators which I'd like to fix. I see the harness you mention says they both work

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the tip about the reverse camera goalcam

I replaced mine with a unit designed for the Trax from Aliexpress

It's ok but the reverse camera didn't work but thanks to you I wired it up correctly. Also I don't get any sounds from the reverse sensor or any noise when I'm using the indicators which I'd like to fix. I see the harness you mention says they both work
Glad to hear you got yours working! I think the sounds for the reverse sensor rely upon the deck itself - my Pioneer deck makes these sounds, for instance. There is a calibration process for it though. Maybe the deck you bought has something similar? Or perhaps it just doesn't have sound capabilities when viewing the backup picture.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes I was also thinking it depends on the deck but I don't any options to configure it

I've been reading a lot on xda-developers.com as they have a forum for android head units but I haven't come across anything so far

This is what I have. I'll post on here if i'm successful fixing it in the hope I can help somebody else if they have the same problem Prue Android 4.4 8" HD Capacitive Screen car audio for Chevrolet Trax

·
Registered
149 Posts
goalcam,
Could you not drill a hole in the left inside side of glove box ? Then pass the mini usb / adapter behind the dash to connect to that usb port 2 in the deck ? Or was the shown connection ( hanging out the door) onlr temporary ? Overall looks great.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts