Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the manual. It's a 2018 LT and the window sticker claims it has remote start. I hit the lock button then the start button at the bottom of remote... Then the horn starts beeping like I'm some sort of thief. No start. Just beep, beep, beep, beep.... What am I doing wrong? I'm not one to start and leave the car running to "warm up" but the gizmo is there and I want to try it.

Had the car 2 weeks with 550miles so far.

MJT

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
Bottom button is the panic button. The button in the middle with the ¾ circle with an arrow point on one end is the start button. Depending on how your Trax was preset you may need to press the lock button twice then hold the middle button with the swirl until you see the park lights flicker once. Mine is set so I only need to lock once then hold start.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the wakeup call on the buttons. My remote looks a bit different. The buttons are stacked top to bottom separated by a chrome bar each. I was not pressing the right spot. Giant thumbs. Works fine. Yep. Once on the lock button and hit the start button for 4 seconds and vroom. Pretty slick. Hit the start button again to shut it off if so inclined.

What is really enjoyable is the backup camera. I really enjoy that thing. Makes backing into my narrow garage right down the middle easy.

Thanks Traxy.

MJT

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
FYI: When you remote start, it will run for 10 minutes then shutdown, you can restart one more time for 10 more minutes then it will not restart anymore. The third time you will have to actually go to the vehicle. This is a protection in case somebody is playing with the remote. I always turn all knobs completely clockwise in the winter when I turn off the key.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Thanks for the wakeup call on the buttons. My remote looks a bit different. The buttons are stacked top to bottom separated by a chrome bar each. I was not pressing the right spot. Giant thumbs. Works fine. Yep. Once on the lock button and hit the start button for 4 seconds and vroom. Pretty slick. Hit the start button again to shut it off if so inclined.

What is really enjoyable is the backup camera. I really enjoy that thing. Makes backing into my narrow garage right down the middle easy.

Thanks Traxy.

MJT
1 - Position yourself and your remote 10 to 15 feet from the car (close enough to hear the doors lock but not too close). Make sure all remotes are well out of and away from the car.

2 - Press the center of the three buttons (the one with the picture of the closed lock). If you are close enough to the car in a relatively quiet area you will hear the door locks engage.

3 - Press and HOLD IN the bottom button (the one with the circular arrow) FOR 4 SECONDS or more until the engine starts. The headlights will go through a blinking routine as the engine starts running.

We can remotely start our 2018 Trax from inside a house window that is roughly 75 feet from the car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - Position yourself and your remote 10 to 15 feet from the car (close enough to hear the doors lock but not too close). Make sure all remotes are well out of and away from the car.

2 - Press the center of the three buttons (the one with the picture of the closed lock). If you are close enough to the car in a relatively quiet area you will hear the door locks engage.

3 - Press and HOLD IN the bottom button (the one with the circular arrow) FOR 4 SECONDS or more until the engine starts. The headlights will go through a blinking routine as the engine starts running.

We can remotely start our 2018 Trax from inside a house window that is roughly 75 feet from the car.

Just to be clear Skip. As I posted above, I figured out what I was doing wrong. Remote works fine and I can use it just fine now. I was merely pressing in the wrong place on the remote.

I will not most likely use it on a regular basis either. I just wanted to test it out of curiosity. It is a feature that I paid for and I wanted to ensure that it worked.

Good clear tutorial however.

Thanks;

MJT

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here's a doozy: I bought a second generic key fob. Since I had the original, programming the new one was a breeze. After I paid the dealer 35.00 plus tax to cut the key, of course. But when I try to remote start the normal way, the parking lights flash twice ("Key in ignition switch" error code) and won't start. But remote start with the original fob still works fine.

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
What year? The remote button has to be in the middle on the FOB. It will not work if it is to one side.

The one on the right will not replace the one on the left. Lock/unlock will work but remote start will just flash headlights and not turn over.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hot crackers, son! You solved it! I double-checked my order on Amazon, and I ordered the right one. But they sent me the wrong one. On top that, the first thing I had to do was take it apart and fix the battery terminals. I have ordered the right one. I assume I can swap blades and reprogram the new one as usual when it arrives. Thanks a bunch!

·
Super Moderator
1,733 Posts
The blade is easy to swap. Just punch out the pin and pull the blade out. Reverse the process to install. Contact Amazon, you should not have to pay for a replacement. Plus if it says for Trax or Equinox in the description don't buy it because they use 2 different fobs. The one on the right in the above picture is for the Equinox and Terrain. The description here is wrong.

I suggest ordering a silicon case to protect it from accidental drop and from finger nails when pressing the button.

Or something like this will happen...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow! That is what I call help! My previous car was a 2000 Saturn (I get my money's worth!) and the Saturnfans forum is pretty good. But this forum is just one more thing to love about my Trax :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've read the manual. It's a 2018 LT and the window sticker claims it has remote start. I hit the lock button then the start button at the bottom of remote... Then the horn starts beeping like I'm some sort of thief. No start. Just beep, beep, beep, beep.... What am I doing wrong? I'm not one to start and leave the car running to "warm up" but the gizmo is there and I want to try it.

Had the car 2 weeks with 550miles so far.

MJT
Here's a doozy: I bought a second generic key fob. Since I had the original, programming the new one was a breeze. After I paid the dealer 35.00 plus tax to cut the key, of course. But when I try to remote start the normal way, the parking lights flash twice ("Key in ignition switch" error code) and won't start. But remote start with the original fob still works fine.
Ha had the same issue! I have a five button remote with the trunk open button. The remote start button to the right. Pushed the remote start bputt on approach lighting came on. Turns out the trunk open button operates the remote start. Try that!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The My Chevrolet App can do the same thing as the key fob, however, there is a delay. But if it's cold and you don't want to stand out in the cold trying to get the car to start with the key fob, try the app!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts