Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Long time lurker, but first time posting here. We have a 2015 Trax LT AWD that was bought brand new. I recently installed the PCV kit v3.4 and replaced the valve cover with a Dorman one for the vacuum leak and check engine light. Car drove great without any issues until yesterday after I drove it to work. Now it’s stranded in the parking garage unable to start.

Battery is new (AC Delco, changed 4 weeks ago) on full charge at 12.6 Volt. All interior electricals are functioning without issues. When the key is turned to “on” position, the power steering light and stabilitrak light are on. Nothing happens when attempting to crank it up. No click, no engine turning. Jump start with another car or battery results in the same thing.

Again, car drove without any issues up to the point where it wouldn’t start. I’m assuming this is an electrical issue since power steering and stabilitrak lights are on. I already replaced the negative terminal cable, and tightened the positive terminal connections. 12.6 Volt is making it to the near by fuse box. During my attempted repairs in the parking garage, I was able to start it twice. Both time it started right up like normal. First time it ran on its own for about 15 seconds then engine stopped. Second time engine stayed on and I was able to drive it around the garage, but as soon as I turned it off, it wouldn’t start anymore. Also to add, the power steering light stayed on both times even with the engine starting.

Does anyone have access to the electrical diagrams and able to point me in the direction to look next? I’m assuming there’s a bad connection somewhere affecting the starter, power steering, and stabilitrak at the same time. Would like to avoid a tow and trip to the dealership if it’s something I can fix.

·
Administrator
2,699 Posts
Check the ground just in front of the battery but at the very bottom. You will see it if you have a good flashlight. Even if it's tight, loosen it move it around and tighten again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just cleaned that one. Also cleaned and retightened the ground next to the negative terminal cable under the battery. Still doing the same unchanged

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also to add, the check engine light is now no longer coming on when I turn the ignition on. I don’t remember if the CEL was doing the same thing yesterday. I did remove the battery box and ECM while I checked the ground wires, but the removal and install was fairly straightforward. Don’t think I damaged anything.

So ECM or relay box?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went back to the parking garage and did some more digging around the relay box in the engine bay. The voltages at the fuses should be 12volt or 0volt depending on the circuit, right? I found several fuses reading 1.6volt across

23. Ignition coil/injector coil
26. Canister purge sol/water valve sol/turbo waste gate sol/turbo bypass sol
29. ECM PT IGN-1/IGN-2
30. MAF sensor

All the voltages are tested with the ignition “on” position. They all seem to be in a row next to the bottom left bolt in the fuse box. I took the entire box off and there’s no visible corrosion anywhere. Am I looking at a bad fuse box or should I look elsewhere for my electrical problems?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did you see if it will pull any codes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don’t have access to an OBD2 code reader. Correct me if I’m mistaken, if the CEL doesn’t come on when the ignition is on, that means there’s no communication to the ECM to even pull codes, right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bump to the thread. Diagnosed the problem to be low voltage going to the powertrain relay, so the engine isn’t turning over. I’m measuring only 8.6 volt across the relay pins 85 and 86 instead of the 12 volt needed to turn the relay on.

Does anyone have the circuit diagram on what sends signal to the PT Relay?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts