Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So 2 days ago I took my car in to have the 60,000 mile check up/service done. Yesterday on my way home from work my check engine light came on. It's not blinking. My boyfriend thinks when I got on the highway it set off a sensor when I hit the gas hard. He said it should go away and reset itself. I called the dealership and left a message, but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

Has anyone else had this happen? I'm afraid to drive it now.

·
Administrator
2,444 Posts
Don't have to worry about a check engine light. Just get the code read. Probably a P0171 lean code. What did they do for a tune up?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't have to worry about a check engine light. Just get the code read. Probably a P0171 lean code. What did they do for a tune up?
They did an oil and filter change, tire rotation, fuel induction, alignment and brake fluid change.
My boyfriend used his gizmo on it and it gave code P420.
Which made me remember they told me they found a crack in a flex tube or line to my exhaust. They asked me if I wanted them to fix it because it won’t pass inspection. I told them I’d get it fixed at that time.
It’s gotta be that. But I also noticed my remote start is not working now. The lights flash but it won’t start.

·
Administrator
2,444 Posts
Trax won't start remotely with a check engine light. Tell your boyfriend to clear the code. And you're right a leaky flex pipe will cause the P0420, my daughter just had hers changed on her Encore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trax won't start remotely with a check engine light. Tell your boyfriend to clear the code. And you're right a leaky flex pipe will cause the P0420, my daughter just had hers changed on her Encore.
Thank you so much Traxy! He did clear it and this morning it worked :):)

·
Administrator
2,444 Posts
You may be good for months or it may come back on today, depends on how badly it leaks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You may be good for months or it may come back on today, depends on how badly it leaks.
Ok, good to know. So I'm thinking if I take it easy on the gas pedal maybe it won't come back on, but if it does, is it safe to drive if we keep clearing the code? It won't cause damage to the engine right?

·
Administrator
2,444 Posts
You're good. Mine came on a few time with this code in the pass couple of years. I know I need a new flex pipe soon, just been neglecting it. Last time the light came on was about a year ago. Don't worry about going at it easy, if you need to floor to merge do so. Don't put your life in danger because you don't want the check engine light to come on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts