Chevy Trax Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi.

I have 1 year and a half with my 2014 Trax. Believe it or not I have only 15000 km (house - work - house).

I do maintenance each 5000 Km, so far only changing sparks plugs, engine oil and engine filter.

I never changed the engine air filter, because each time I go to the store, they never have. The plugs used is the one from NGK brand and not the Champion brand that suggest the manual. Engine filter original and engine oil Shell Helix 20W50. I use 95 Octane of Gasoline.

My problem:

Since 2 weeks, each time I turn my car on, after a second, it turns off inmediatelly. I need to turn it on again and back to normal. It happens when in the morning. It also happens to my friend.

What could be? Battery? plugs? Maintenance?

Very appreciate your help.

Thanks.
why you put 20w50 on this engine??

Sent from my SM-G610F

·
Registered
117 Posts
I you have the 1.4l turbo engine wow that 20w50 would not be good for it i wonder how it has lasted so long. You changed your oil every 3000 miles too GM said their oil blend could be safely driven 5000 miles between oil changes. And i believe plugs are supposed to be changed every 60,000 miles also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A couple of weeks ago the dashboard display on my 2017 trax awd (with 16000 miles on it)
said "service stabilitrack", then about a week ago I got an email from On Star saying that there was an issue with the antilock brakes. I scheduled an appointment with the dealer & a few days before the appointment the malfunction light came on & then went off the next day.
The service guy said that the engine is "missing" & that the issue is "deeper" than the spark plugs. I called for an update yesterday & he said the technician thinks it's a piston or ring problem. I hate the idea of them cracking open the engine wben they don't really know what the problem is. The car has been running fine & I've been getting 30 - 32 mpg. Anyone have any thoughts about what's going on?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I don't see how an engine misfire would trigger a Stabilitrak code, I know engine load is in the algorithm but not engine power. Ask them if the rear differential clutch module recall has been done? Can you bring it to an other dealer?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't see how an engine misfire would trigger a Stabilitrak code, I know engine load is in the algorithm but not engine power. Ask them if the rear differential clutch module recall has been done? Can you bring it to an other dealer?
I just called & he said there isn't a recall notice for my car but would mention it to the tech when he gets back from lunch. He's gonna call me back around 1:00 pm.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Hi.
I have 1 year and a half with my 2014 Trax. Believe it or not I have only 15000 km (house - work - house).
I do maintenance each 5000 Km, so far only changing sparks plugs, engine oil and engine filter.
I never changed the engine air filter, because each time I go to the store, they never have. The plugs used is the one from NGK brand and not the Champion brand that suggest the manual. Engine filter original and engine oil Shell Helix 20W50. I use 95 Octane of Gasoline.
My problem:
Since 2 weeks, each time I turn my car on, after a second, it turns off immediatelly. I need to turn it on again and back to normal. It happens when in the morning. It also happens to my friend.

What could be? Battery? plugs? Maintenance?
Very appreciate your help.
Thanks.
Wow! I'm not surprised you are having these problems.
This engine uses strictly dual iridium plugs AC-Delco, If you didn't throw them away put them back in unless one was defective. AC-Delco dual Iridium plugs come pre-gaped and should not be re-gaped and are good for 160000Kms or 100000 miles. The manual does not suggest Champion and never would so if you can show me where you read this I'd like to see it with my eyes.

Secondly running a 1.4l turbo on 20W50 conventional oil is a good way to kill that engine. GM recommends their blend in the manual and have recently updated to full synthetic 5W30 if you are going to use the oil change monitor for your intervals. This greatly reduces occurrence of oil sludge clogging the turbo oil feed line. Once the turbo oil feed pipe is clogged it won't take long before you need a new turbo. By installing these in your Trax you probably have voided your warranty so good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I just called & he said there isn't a recall notice for my car but would mention it to the tech when he gets back from lunch. He's gonna call me back around 1:00 pm.
I have the letter in my hands and it says to only bring your vehicle in if you experience your symptoms. I just received this letter last week.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the letter in my hands and it says to only bring your vehicle in if you experience your symptoms. I just received this letter last week.
I haven't received a recall letter & the service manager says that the VIN doesn't bring up any recall notices.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Well I still don't think the engine misfire has anything to do with your codes but it still has to be taken care of before they can continue. What kind of loaner did they give you?

·
Registered
91 Posts
A bad spark plug triggered the service stabilitrak on my 07 Avalanche. Due to excessive oil usage from the cylinder deactivation system, so yes they can be related. Very common on those 07-11 5.3 engines.

My 2016 Cruze Limited with the old 1.4 developed a piston problem that required replacement. Not uncommon.

I am going to begin supplying my dealer with full syn oil when they change it instead of letting them use GM's blend. Peace of mind and cheaper than their mark up. Will tell them to mark it as Dexos approved so no warranty issues down the road if problems occur.

GM sells thousands of Trax/Encore/Cruze/Sonic models every month so a few bad ones are bound to arise. Hope they get it fixed. Mine was fixed and was good for months until I turned the lease back in.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Hope it works good for you, this is the first time I hear of a piston failure in a 1.4 liter turbo. Let us know if it was a defect or isf it was caused by something else, if they tell you of course.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Yes....there is multiple issues. Hood is misaligned, front left bumper molding is not attached correctly to the fender and the gray molding around the front left wheel is loose. Under the hood, the bumper molding is not sitting on the front left alignment pin. The dealer is going to take apart the front end to investigate.
That looks like it had some kind of impact.

·
Registered
187 Posts
This is very likely ^
When I had a car accident way back, not in a Trax, things under the hood came out of alignment because I managed to get hit right in the bumper corner. So if everything is leaning towards one side then the impact theory could be likely.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hope it works good for you, this is the first time I hear of a piston failure in a 1.4 liter turbo. Let us know if it was a defect or isf it was caused by something else, if they tell you of course.
The number one cylinder failed the compression test and they found that the piston was cracked. They replaced all four pistons, one valve, and a few things that got broken during the tear down. They said that they didn't know what caused the piston failure but did recommend that I ignore the oil life display and change the oil with full synthetic every 5000 miles.
The car seems to be running fine now but time will tell if any further problems arise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Surge problem we have a 2015 Trax LT, my wife drives everyday.she has had an issue where when applying the brakes, the car surges faster. The dealer tech was able to recreate the problem, but they do not have a solution. I guess I will own GM if she has an accident after no solution for this dangerous situation. Will be looking for a new vehicle, and not any more GM products!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recently a check engine light came on and my 2016 Chevy Trax has began “bucking” when you pull up to a stop sign or light. This happens occasionally when first putting the car into drive. I went to my local auto parts and had a diagnostic run and it said the mass flow air sensor was dirty. I bought a bottle of spray and went home and cleaned it. The light went off and it ran ok for a day or two. It started again. I went to a reputable garage in the area, they read several codes about fuel too lean and some others things. They told me it was still under the 100,000 mile warranty and they would rather I go to the dealer. (They did not reset the codes). Two weeks later I get into the dealer and tell me they cannot find anything wrong and charge me $95. Crossroads Chevrolet just lost a customer for good. What should I do from here?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I had a similar problem in my 2016, it was the ignition coil pack.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts