Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Union of Concerned Scientists published their now annual rankings of automakers based on emissions. Hyundai-KIA wrestled the top spot away from Honda but the real losers were the big three americans. But wait, listen to the rationale...

The problem for Ford, General Motors and Chrysler lies in their trucks, which sell well but tend to have pretty bad fuel economy (compared to sedans, at least). The UCS calculates its list by averaging "the per-mile emissions for each light-duty vehicle sold by each automaker" and then factors in "the fuel economy, fuel type, and sales volume of each type of vehicle sold by each automaker" and "the upstream global warming emissions from producing and distributing the fuel used by each vehicle, as well as emissions from the vehicles themselves." That all means that, the more trucks you sell, the worse you're gonna do.
Now what irks me about this is that if they didnt sell so many trucks or even make them for that matter who would get the work done?

From Peter DeLorenzo:

This group has decided that Hyundai is the new greenest automaker in their latest report, wrestling the crown away from Honda. Why anyone cares what this group thinks, says, does or anything else for that matter is beyond me, but they definitely have a savvy PR machine with the ability to get the attention of lazy journalists - automotive and otherwise - on a slow news day and turn it into "news." And the Detroit-based automakers? They ranked dead last in their report, which isn't a surprise in the least. Why? The Detroit-based automakers make trucks for people who actually do the real work in this country, so that groups like the "Union of Concerned Scientists" can sit around navel-gazing while basking in the dulcet tones of their own voices, and then turn around and present their narrow, hackneyed opinions as dogma. What a bunch of unmitigated bullshit. - PMD

·
Registered
556 Posts
I mean the true challenge is to be able to create a truck that is capable but fuel efficient. That is why Ford switched the F-150 to an aluminum body. There is still much more ground for American auto makers to make up on that front though.

·
Registered
556 Posts
A hybrid truck would even make sense now. They have the technology to make a smaller size electric pick-up truck.

That won't really save the environment though unless the electricity is produced in an eco friendly way as well. Charging your car with electricity made from coal is not a good way to save the environment.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I never put much stock into this gibberish anyways. Follow the dollars, ask these gentlemen who exactly funds their research? This is bandwagon science catering to the trends complete with big fat retainers, grants and associated consulting opportunities.

When 95% of scientists are agreeing on what is happening with climate change you know something is funny. a large group, let alone a LARGE group of scientists will never arrive at 95% consensus about ANYTHING.

Essentially these people are hired guns for whatever agenda will pay out the best!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I think that scientists do often agree on things actually. Science is all about reproducable experiments. If you can reproduce it then you take it to be true. I don't think that people are agreeing more because it is a big conspiracy. The existence of the nucleus, for example, is agreed to by over 95% percent of scientists. I would say 100%. I don't think that means that they are a part of some big chemistry/physics conspiracy.

When 95% of scientists are agreeing on what is happening with climate change you know something is funny. a large group, let alone a LARGE group of scientists will never arrive at 95% consensus about ANYTHING.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I never put much stock into this gibberish anyways. Follow the dollars, ask these gentlemen who exactly funds their research? This is bandwagon science catering to the trends complete with big fat retainers, grants and associated consulting opportunities.

Essentially these people are hired guns for whatever agenda will pay out the best!
"follow the money" best advice.

there's definitely an agenda behind it and big money involved, the least we can do is stay informed more than the general public.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think that scientists do often agree on things actually. Science is all about reproducable experiments. If you can reproduce it then you take it to be true. I don't think that people are agreeing more because it is a big conspiracy. The existence of the nucleus, for example, is agreed to by over 95% percent of scientists. I would say 100%. I don't think that means that they are a part of some big chemistry/physics conspiracy.
Funny how you jumped to conspiracy when I said follow the money. Life is about getting paid, if you cant see that I can't help you. Do some research into climate change, 10 years ago global warming was supposed to of wiped out all the polar caps and half the world was going to be underwater Atlantis style, guess that didnt happen. Then global temperatures began to cool and global warming had to be re branded as climate change. You know the ice age was climate change as well right?

Notice how many products and lifestyle choices (more expensive I might add) are being sold on the back of climate change agendas, green guilt if you will. Notice how all of these more expensive products are not actually doing anything about anything, you're voluntarily paying increased costs for an inferior product and everyone thinks that's ok. 0:)

Point being, people aren't agreeing because CONSPIRACY, people are agreeing to GET PAID! C'est la vie my friend.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Funny how you jumped to conspiracy when I said follow the money. Life is about getting paid, if you cant see that I can't help you. Do some research into climate change, 10 years ago global warming was supposed to of wiped out all the polar caps and half the world was going to be underwater Atlantis style, guess that didnt happen. Then global temperatures began to cool and global warming had to be re branded as climate change. You know the ice age was climate change as well right?

Notice how many products and lifestyle choices (more expensive I might add) are being sold on the back of climate change agendas, green guilt if you will. Notice how all of these more expensive products are not actually doing anything about anything, you're voluntarily paying increased costs for an inferior product and everyone thinks that's ok. 0:)

Point being, people aren't agreeing because CONSPIRACY, people are agreeing to GET PAID! C'est la vie my friend.
You have such an elementary and misguided understanding of climate change/global warming.

First, the ice caps were not to have melted 10 years ago, obviously. The rate that they thought the ice caps would melt ten years ago actually turned out to be much faster.

Second, climate change started to be talked about because global warming didn't encompass the entirety of the problem. Climate change creates more extreme weather. Drought, hurricanes, floods, etc... Overall though, the global temperature has gone up on average.

Sure there are companies capitalizing on the green movement as companies would with anything that can make them an extra buck, but that doesn't mean that climate change is untrue and just a big scheme to make people more money. If anything, embracing climate change as a reality does more to hurt short term profits for companies, hence so much lobbying against it in the US. The long-term effects to profits will be potentially severe though. just think of all the money spent on disaster clean ups in the past decade.

·
Registered
745 Posts
thankfully there are serious efforts being taken to make the change needed so the effect of it all can be diminished

1 - 11 of 11 Posts