Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening, I am wondering if anyone else has experienced an issue I am having with my 2017 TRAX.
At this time the Fan will only switch on at high speed and will blow both warm and cold air depending on the setting, this issue occurred after shutting the engine off with the blower set to speed 4, is this a fuse issue or a switch issue ?

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
That is a fan resistor issue or possibly your connector to the resistor network. GM# 95018066

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good evening, I am wondering if anyone else has experienced an issue I am having with my 2017 TRAX.
At this time the Fan will only switch on at high speed and will blow both warm and cold air depending on the setting, this issue occurred after shutting the engine off with the blower set to speed 4, is this a fuse issue or a switch issue ?
That is a fan resistor issue or possibly your connector to the resistor network. GM# 95018066
Do you have any suggestions how to troubleshoot without a dealer ? My vehicle is out of warranty due to mileage.

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
This is very easy to check. I'll try and find the procedure for you. But you can start by removing the connector and inspecting the contacts for corrosion or arcing and pitting. If everything is nice and clean then replace the resistor network. Held in place by 2 screws. This is always a problem with GMs in general that have manual HVAC, it is and old design and should be re-engineered. Only the high speed doesn't go through this resistor network because it is connected directly to 12 Volts through the switch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is very easy to check. I'll try and find the procedure for you. But you can start by removing the connector and inspecting the contacts for corrosion or arcing and pitting. If everything is nice and clean then replace the resistor network. Held in place by 2 screws. This is always a problem with GMs in general that have manual HVAC, it is and old design and should be re-engineered. Only the high speed doesn't go through this resistor network because it is connected directly to 12 Volts through the switch.

View attachment 3473
Thanks for the information on checking the resistors, one small concern is with the AC blower fan on high I am picking up a small maybe 4-6oz of water pooling in my weather guard placemat on the passenger side, is this a sign of a bigger issue ?

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
When is the last time you changed the cabin air filter?

Just your drain tube may be plugged with dirt, bugs or debris. You'll need to blow it out so it drains under your car.

Maybe this picture is better.

If it's plugged at the bottom of the HVAC unit you will need to vacuum or unplug it with pipe cleaners or blow air up the spout.

Reactions: TraxGuy89

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When is the last time you changed the cabin air filter?

Just your drain tube may be plugged with dirt, bugs or debris. You'll need to blow it out so it drains under your car.

Maybe this picture is better.

View attachment 3478
If it's plugged at the bottom of the HVAC unit you will need to vacuum or unplug it with pipe cleaners or blow air up the spout.
Truthfully I believe I am a little overdue for the cabin filter replacement. I have tried for temporary measures just vacuuming A lot of the dust out of the filters. However I was told by the dealer that the filter is a custom part that can’t be purchased at any Automotive part store, is this true? I’d love to install it myself since it’s been done before , just don’t want to haggle with the dealer into having it serviced for a simple part

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
That's BS I purchase my filters online from Ali-Express. The last 2 sets arrived in ACDelco boxes with GM #s. They may have been knock offs but sure looked the same down to the number of pleats. I couldn't tell the difference except one was dirty. If you're in no big hurry.

This is what I received...

When you change the filters you have to vacuum as much as possible the bottom of the air box underhood or HVAC. You'd be surprised how much stuff wiggles by the filter especially if you park under trees or if little critters get in there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hey, as I removed the panel on the Right side passenger to reveal the blower motor control module, this is what I am seeing, did I move on the wrong part?
Edit : I felt I should have mentioned it’s a Trax LT, if this changes the schematics

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
That's it.

If you replace it and want to test it before you put it back together don't run it too long since it uses the blower fan for cooling. It gets hottest on position 1. You will notice that the resistance are just traces on a circuit board. Cheap design, works till it doesn't.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's it.

View attachment 3482
If you replace it and want to test it before you put it back together don't run it too long since it uses the blower fan for cooling. It gets hottest on position 1. You will notice that the resistance are just traces on a circuit board. Cheap design, works till it doesn't.
Thanks! Ordered the part to replace it, if you don’t mind, is their a schematic you have to replace the Vent on the LT on the right side of the touch screen stereo system?

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
Can you take a picture so I know exactly what you need and mean. I've had that apart before 16 but 17 is different.

In case I got it right in my old head....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
GM#42373340 about $40

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
No burnt fuse if it works 1-3. Check the connector at the resistor for pitting or damage. It could also be the switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you have any suggestions how to troubleshoot without a dealer ? My vehicle is out of warranty due to mileage.
Mine just did the same thing. Took it to the dealer which was a mistake. They told me it was 2 sensors that went bad. Warranty was up and it cost me almost 2 grand. Fast forward to three weeks later and the fan quit working all together. The dealership said that its not related to the sensor issue. Well, of course its not because I had nothing to do with the sensors to begin with! I was just taken for a ride! Owning a TRAX is the worst decision I have made. I have had to replace the bearings in the front the first year of owning it. Had to have it towed the next year because somehow water got into the engine ( other dealership issue), 4 months ago had to replace the turbo, and now it's acting up again, no air conditioning, and now this! I'm done. I just hit the 5 year mark of owning this vehicle. I can honestly say, it is THE WORST VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED! TRADING IT IN A THE FIRST OPPORTUNITY!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts