Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clattering noises when turning sharply (no matter in which direction), driving slowly and when the car is cold. The rattle speed (frequency) depends on the speed. If the car is warmer, it hardly ever occurs or very rarely. My research found the drive shaft to be a problem. Can someone confirm that? Unfortunately I could not make a video of it so far, because every time I tried the rattling noise did not occur * facepalm *

I have the 2014 EU version, 1.7CDTI, AT and 2 WD

Thanks in advance for your opinions / ideas etc.

Greetings from Meissen/Germany

·
Super Moderator
235 Posts
Could be a driveshaft, but if the boots are still sealed they may not be your problem. A similar thing can happen if the ball joints are failing, because they shift every time you turn the wheels and could be the a point of over-travelling and make a sound.

In rare situations I've seen calipers do it also when a bolt breaks, you'll hear it knocking inside of the wheel rim because it's lifting off the bracket. Those tend to isolate to one side or the other though.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm. Thanks for your ideas. I have an additional phenomenon that I haven't mentioned before. If I use the engine brake, I have a somewhat similar sound. If I support the engine brake with the service brake, this noise is gone. Could actually be the brakes after all. Strange, as the car passed the German TÜV (WITHOUT defects) just 3 months ago. Can you "see" from the outside whether the saddles are not as they should?

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
Even if the boots aren't damaged it could still be a half shaft. I once destroyed a CV joint driving of a curb with the wheel fully cocked to the left.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is now back from the workshop. It was the left drive shaft that was defective.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts