Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving to the mountains in -25c weather, I could not maintain speed on the the hills. I'd drop from 110km/hr to under 70km/hr, making everyone behind me upset! The check engine light came on after awhile, but the engine was still running normally. On the way home, it was -10c, and it was almost able to maintain the same speed on hills. It's done the intercooler drain last winter, and I had the little winter front on.
Has anyone found a solution to this? Would a winter front higher up on the grill be helpful?
It goes in to the dealer next week if the check engine light is still on.

If you are thinking of getting a Trax and the temperatures go below -10c where you live, don't buy it! This issue has been very stressful and inconvenient. I'm very disappointment with my purchase. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: I had a coworker read the code, it's P0299 Engine underboost. I had the same issue in Feb 2021 during another cold spell. They cleaned the intake manifold, CAC, bypass valve and installed the tiny winter grille cover. It was obviously not effective as the problem reoccurred.

·
Administrator
2,444 Posts
Could be a coincidence, there is a bulletin on the turbo waste gate actuator sticking, it may be more prone to sticking at minus 40 degrees.

• Sad
Reactions: JMac

·
Registered
2 Posts
I guess I'll find out when it goes in on Monday.
Had the same issue with our 2019 Trax, live in michigan on cold spell early January lost power on hills and on acceleration code P0299 dealer and perform bulletin replacing CAC qnd added a heater to system and few other hoses per bulletin. Picked up next day headed to Florida got 80 miles into trip same issues back limped it to florida and dealer here diagnosed and ordered turbo, so will see in a couple days. 🤞

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have it back yet, but the diagnosis is a frozen CAC.
I hope your new turbo fixes the problem. I was told that there is no permanent fix for the issue, and that mine is the first they have seen come back after installing the winterfront. Somehow I don't believe that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will let you know after turbo installed. I actually have video I took driving to see if actuator applying wastgate for turbo did move some but not much I just think the turbines in turbo are not creating enough pressure or vacuum to move wastegate actuator so time will tell

1 - 7 of 7 Posts