Chevy Trax Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

I am considering buy a used 2015 or 2016 Chevrolet Trax and wanted to get some honest owner reviews of the vehicle. I’ve done a lot of research so I know it has decent JD Power ratings and gets 5 stars in crash testing ratings.

What do you really love about the Trax? Is there anything you absolutely hate? Have you had any major maintenance/reliability concerns? Do you regret your purchase at all?

I’m located in Edmonton, Alberta (Canada) so I'll be looking at the AWD model to help with winter driving.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2,117 Posts
Loaded question. I like my Trax so far and bought it for this winter. So I guess I'll know the answer to your question next spring.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I like mine so far only have a couple issues so far and have almost 34,000miles on a 2016 Trax LT one being the heater hot/cold internal cable broke and the bluetooth calling issue in which the dealership say works fine for them with in the the normal noise standards lol yea bs term.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 2015 AWD LT. Bought it new and just turned over 25K miles. No issues at all. I live in New England and have had no problem with winter driving. What I like best about the Trax is that it consistently gets about 30 MPG, is big enough to haul a lot of gear, yet feels and handles like a much smaller vehicle. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one.

·
Registered
772 Posts
After owning both the Trax and the Encore, I did love my red Trax, if I were to buy again I would buy another Encore.

The Trax is a nice car, but when you go from it into the Buick there is a world of difference between the cars.

Take a ride in an Encore with quiet ride then take a ride in any model Trax, you will notice the differences quickly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Lack of storage is my only complaint about the Trax. As soon as my lease is up I'll be looking for something a little bigger.

·
Registered
17 Posts
First snow yesterday, about 3-4” so was able to test my 2017 LT AWD out. I must say I am pleased with results. Only have stock tires (only 3k miles on them) and had zero issues getting around.
There is a hill with a decent grade in neighborhood, with my previous vehicle, 2005 Jeep Liberty, I always had to put in 4WD to get up the hill with same amount of snow. Now the jeep was RWD so that’s a factor, but the Trax had no issues and the AWD never had to kick in to climb the hill.
Will see once we get a serious amount of snow which is just a matter of time living in a lake effect snow region in Michigan.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Another update. We got about 6-7” of snow yesterday. Zero issues getting around on unplowed side streets, up and down hills with some grade to them. If anything changes will post an update so no news is good news.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought my 2018 LS AWD in April & love it so far. Have put 5000 miles on it. Haven't used it in the snow personally, but DH took it down our relatively steep lane for the mail two weeks ago in 5 inches of unplowed snow & he was impressed. I regularly get 27-28 mpg which is Ok with me, as my driving style is lousy & my route is in between city & highway! I previously drove a Chrysler Van (short version) & was leery to go to a smaller vehicle. This one still fits my feed bags & the small cargo area still usually fits my massive grocery loads. My only dislike is having to throw my purse in the back seat when driving my Dad around. I was used to dumping everything on the floor between the seats in my van. Other than running Dad around 2 days a week, I am usually on my own, so no worries. I did ride in the back seat on Thanksgiving when DH & I ran my Dad home & found the leg room surprisingly adequate. I rarely have problems answering my phone, but sometimes I have to push the button more than once. I don't find the ride noisy or rough, but I am not an expert on driving luxury! I bought the Trax for the AWD & for the modest price tag & so far it is spot on. I got a great deal that I have not seen available since. Love parking the little bug & the both AC & heat have been great.Good luck.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Love my 2017 . It's an awesome comfortable ride. Drove 2200 miles over 3 days and never was uncomfortable. I think shocks could be a bit softer but that's just me personally. Still average 30 mpg hwy and around 25-27 local

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
We've had our 2015 Trax LT AWD for 2months now and LOVE it It's my wife's car and she is LOVING it. We took a trip to Michigan a week after we bought it averaged 35 mpg on the interstate. We are expecting 4" of snow this weekend so Will get to try the AWD.

·
Super Moderator
2,117 Posts
If you went with 195/75-16 for a winter tire it will be a breeze, if you went with the 215/65-16 not so much...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Obviously make sure the smaller size cargo area and somewhat smaller back seat will work for you. I keep the back seats folded down a lot with the headrests removed so the cargo area is more like a "normal" size SUV. Only room for 2 people like this, obviously.

The mpg, while pretty good, are not much better, if at all, than many many larger mid size crossovers, especially on the highway.

Encore ride is a little choppy on the interstate due to the short wheelbase. Nothing too bad, but noticeable. Might be better in the Trax with the 16 inch rims vs 18 on the Encore.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts