Chevy Trax Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeing a small coolant leak somewhere behind the heat shield at the front of the engine. Already took it to the dealer and they replaced the overflow tank cap saying that the leak was coming from a faulty seal there. I can hear and see the steam coming from just behind the shield located at the front of the engine. After some research I think it might be a simple fix or replacement of a rubber hose. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2,175 Posts
More than likely same as mine, the "O" ring has failed on the coolant supply line to the turbo. Not as simple as it looks, turbo has to come out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so I took it to the dealer as it is still under warranty. The first time the dealer did a pressure test and diagnosed it as leaking from around the reservoir cap and that was replaced. Next day, I still see occasional small puffs of steam from the area where the heat shield is located. So, I take it back to the dealer and this time the invoice says... the turbo cooler seals had failed and that the rubber seals had separated from the rest of the material and both seals were replaced. I cannot see or hear any evidence of a leak but there is still an antifreeze smell coming from the engine. I understand that there may be some antifreeze still burning off but there wasn't a very big leak to begin with so it should be odor free st some point? In your experience, how long does the burnt coolant smell last after the leak has been repaired. I realize there are a lot of factors that play into this just trying to get a general idea so I can quit being paranoid.

·
Super Moderator
2,175 Posts
Should be gone within 2-3 days depending how much cupped here and there. Every time you come to a stop some may spill over but should totally dry off and evaporate soon. You may also need to add coolant if there were any air pockets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm still smelling a slight antifreeze smell although not nearly as bad as before. My Trax is leaking a tiny amount of coolant, about the size of a fist. It does not leak until after the car is parked for an hour or so. I cannot locate the source after looking with a flashlight for a while. Anyway, I have included a picture of the coolant reservoir. It looks a little full to me as the level is above the arrow mark on the tank. Could it possibly be expelling the extra coolant. Again, I've taken it to the dealer twice. The first time they thought it was a faulty cap. The second time they replaced the turbo cooler seals. I have included the invoice. Thanks for all of your advice and help with this!!
20200225_213520.jpg

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts